cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLIs Approved- Should I be asking for more?

tag
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

CLIs Approved- Should I be asking for more?

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in awhile, but I've still been checking in on the forums every couple of days.

Here is my current situation- I just finished graduate school and have been working full time for the last month or so. Previous income was ~12k. Current salary is 55k and total compensation is roughly in the low 60s. Consequently, I am in the process of increasing my cls to make them commensurate with my current income.

So far I went from 4>7.5k on discover with a soft, and from 2.1>8k on chase with an hp on ex. Both approvals were instant approvals for the full amount I asked for, rather than being countered. This leads me to believe that I probably could have gotten approved for larger clis.

So, my question is how much should I ask for from BofA? I was thinking maybe 10-12k. I realize that it will be an hp on tu but I am willing to accept that.

As for Amex- I don't think I will have any issues moving to 7.8k, I just have to wait about another month to be eligible.
EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: CLIs Approved- Should I be asking for more?

Since it's a HP reach for the sky (CLI)

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

+1 myjourney Smiley Wink

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 11
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Since it's a HP reach for the sky (CLI)

Ditto, always ask for more and let them tell you what they are willing to give if it is less.

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 4 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome back Optimas! Congratulations on completing school and your CLI's! I would definitely ask for more than you want- its a Hp and you don't want to feel cheated. Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 11
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys. The moon it is! I think it prudent to wait for discover and chase to report updated cls so it will probably be a couple of weeks before I fill out the form. Discover in particular takes forever. In my experience, they seem to like to skip reporting for a month or two following a cli, and usually update on the second statement following the cli.

One other question- I assume BofA will give me the option to keep the card as a platinum plus, rather than a visa sig?This way the cl will continue to report.
EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 6 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If Discover takes too long, ask for a mid-cycle report. Yes, BoA will give you the option
Message 7 of 11
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

ok, thanks lexie.
EQ 778 | TU 776
Message 8 of 11
beech2292
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:
If Discover takes too long, ask for a mid-cycle report. Yes, BoA will give you the option

I did this with Discover and they updated it the next day. I got a CLI from them and they hadn't reported it for 2 months so I sent them a secure message about it

EQ: 704 (8/22/13) Walmart TU: 738 (8/26/13) EX: 736 (7/29/13)
Discover More (3.4k)
Chase Freedom (3.6k)
AMEX BCP (5.7k)
Citi ThankYou (8k)
Walmart Discover (2k)
Message 9 of 11
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Update: Got a little impatient, and had discover push through a manual update. Backdoored TU to make sure it had posted and then put in a cli request through BofA. They didnt approve the full amount of my request, but countered with 9,100.

Defintely more than I need, so I am happy with it. Would have been nice if they could have came up to 5 figures though.

I'm sure they pulled TU, but I can't refresh CK for a couple more days and the tu backdoor is trying to charge me for an updated report.

edit- Does anybody know if they are going to contact me about coverting to a visa sig (I don't want to because I want the cl to report)? I suppose I could just take a wait and see approach on this one.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.