Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One Secured VS Discover It Card

tag
xgac12x
Established Contributor

Cap One Secured VS Discover It Card

Right now I have two credit cards in my wallet. Capital One Secured, $1500 limit (I use for my everyday purchases, I dont use my debit), and Discover It ($650 limit, gas), now the Cap one doesnt have any rewards, which kind of sucks.. Should I start using my Discover It card instead for my everyday purchases because it has rewards of 1% on everything and 5% on gas?

I just dont want to use my discover because it has a much lower limit, which relates to a higher util..

Thanks

CARDS: CAPONEQUICKSILVERONE - $3,000.00
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap One Secured VS Discover It Card

@xgac12x wrote:

Right now I have two credit cards in my wallet. Capital One Secured, $1500 limit (I use for my everyday purchases, I dont use my debit), and Discover It ($650 limit, gas), now the Cap one doesnt have any rewards, which kind of sucks.. Should I start using my Discover It card instead for my everyday purchases because it has rewards of 1% on everything and 5% on gas?

I just dont want to use my discover because it has a much lower limit, which relates to a higher util..

Thanks

Definitely use your Discover IT more - cash back is cash back!

The trick to battling the high utility is to make sure you may multiple payments in a month, and/or make sure the balance is paid down before the statement cut date.

Say for example your due date is on the 22nd, but your statement cuts on the 25th. You make sure whatever balance from the last statement period is needed to be paid by the 22nd is paid. However, the purchases you made in the current statement period are going to be reported to the CRs on the 25th.

So say you made $400 dollars of purchases in one statement...with a $650 limit, you should pay the balance down to at $58.50 or less by the statement close date, giving you <9% utility and it will look good on your credit reports. Voila! That 60%+ utilization is avoided! And the $58.50 or less becomes the new statement balance, ready to be paid by your next due date.

Best of luck!

Message 2 of 8
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

IMO, definitely Discover.

Message 3 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

+3

You can't beat the reward and the benefits that go along with the Discover card

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 8
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@xgac12x wrote:

Thanks

Definitely use your Discover IT more - cash back is cash back!

The trick to battling the high utility is to make sure you may multiple payments in a month, and/or make sure the balance is paid down before the statement cut date.

Say for example your due date is on the 22nd, but your statement cuts on the 25th. You make sure whatever balance from the last statement period is needed to be paid by the 22nd is paid. However, the purchases you made in the current statement period are going to be reported to the CRs on the 25th.

So say you made $400 dollars of purchases in one statement...with a $650 limit, you should pay the balance down to at $58.50 or less by the statement close date, giving you <9% utility and it will look good on your credit reports. Voila! That 60%+ utilization is avoided! And the $58.50 or less becomes the new statement balance, ready to be paid by your next due date.

Best of luck!

This is some great advice. I used this technique when I had lower CL's and it worked great. Just remember, if you have a month approaching where you know its going to be financially tight, don't charge too much. During those months I just left my cards at home so I wasnt tempted. 

Message 5 of 8
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

ignore utility unless you are apping for something currently

use Discover

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 6 of 8
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Disco over you secured Capone like everyone has said Smiley Wink

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 7 of 8
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I would go with Discover over a secured card any day of the week.  Have you attempted a CLI on your Discover?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.