cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom CLI

tag
iGotchi

Chase Freedom CLI

Hello, last December I was approved for a Chase Freedom as my first credit card with a $500 credit limit. However, I have found that this CL is not enough and I have had to make 4 payments on the card already. I want to ask Chase for a CLI, but I don't want to risk a HP without asking for help. I plan to pay in full every month.

Some information. I am a recent college graduate and currently owe $14,000 in student loans, $35,000 on a new car,  Equifax FICO scorce of 675, and Trans Union FICO of 724. I also have an average account age of 2 years. I have a checking and savings account with Chase.

Given the above information, should I risk a HP for a CLI to at least a $2000 CL? Or should I wait, and hope for Chase to do an auto CLI? Thanks!

myFICO: EX 724 EQ 728 TU 705

photo CreditCards_zpscea4a442.jpg
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom CLI

How many inqs do you currently have? When was your most recent acct opened?
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 16
iGotchi

1 inquiry in the past 6 months. The most recent account opened was my car last May when I graduated. Strange thing is that Chase did not perform a hard pull on Experian, Trans Union, or Equifax (to the best of my knowledge) when I applied for the credit card. In the paper work that was sent with the card, the scoring system used was, "Application Score". I have no idea what that is. Also, I have never missed a payment on my car or student loans if that matters.

Message 3 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

That is odd...

Well, your scores look good... Not a lot of inqs or new accts. I think you can afford the hp and would prob get an increase!!!! Maybe ask for $5000? Or whatever amount haha that amt seems to be a good cl barrier to break ;-)

Good luck :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 16
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

better off get some other CC with decent limit rather than waste an inquiry for credit limit increase....

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 5 of 16
iGotchi

My plan was to establish a good relationship with Chase, since I bank with them, and eventually apply for the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I wanted to use the Freedom and Sapphire Preferred to fully utilize their rewards program for travel or cash back. Is this a good train of thought? Or are there other credit cards that offer better rewards programs?

Message 6 of 16
kwinks
Regular Contributor

This is exactly what I am trying to do. i got my chase freedom last February. However I got a capital one secured card for 6 months and then applied for chase. I also bank with them and I feel that it helped me tons with the freedom. I got a cl of 3000 And I was just approved for csp yesterday.  I think patience is really important with chase because they are tough....

also by last december....do you mean December 2012? Because if so then I say you have to wait at least 6 months before asking for cli...that's just a good rule of thumb for any credit card. 

Message 7 of 16
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Chase likes to see History, payment and usage. Six months is early, a year better. In addition to using a HP, they also place emphasis on the internal review of your relationship with them.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 8 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't app for CSP til you have 6 mos to a year with the Freedom. Also, opening a CSP could affect your cli on Freedom or vice versa. People discuss having to move credit lines from other Chase accts all the time here! Lol
Message 9 of 16
iGotchi

Sorry if I gave everyone the wrong impression that I would be applying for a Chase Sapphire Preferred. I don't plan to apply for one until July of this year.

However, back to my original question, should I ask for a CLI on my Freedom (I have a measly $500 CL)? Given that I don't believe Chase performed a hard pull when I applied for the card (No Chase inquiries on my credit EQ and TU reports on 1/3/13, and no EX credit score on documents that came with the card) and with a EQ FICO 675 and TU FICO 724 (same report).

I have already paid in full 4 times since owning the card for the past month (December 2012, sorry if that also wasn't explicitly stated). My only fear is calling and having a hard pull performed and I'm told that there would be no CLI. More input is much appreciated Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.