cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom approved without SSN/credit history.

tag
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom approved without SSN/credit history.

Hi you all, 

I've learned a lot on this forum in the last few days. Here's the payoff~ Hope my experience could help others and my luckiness passed to everyone!

I'm 23, a full-time student with Visa. No employer no SSN no credit history. Attracted by the cash rewarding feature, I want to try my luck even I knew it's not very possible. I first send a msg to Customer Center, which I believe it's in their HQ. They responded as they cannot do it since I don't have SSN and they cannot identified me. Then I called the local branch, the representative hesitated for a while and said "Yes. But be sure you find a experienced banker who knows how to do this". Getting more interesting~ I walked into a branch before weekend. A banker said if I have more than 10 K in my account, he could request a "special consideration" (it feels like a direct-recon pushed by the banker for me). Then I applied, with 10 months banking with Chase and roughly 25 K in my account at that moment, saving+checking. One business day after I applied, a number from Newark, DE called me identified as Chase...... She verified my profile and put me in hold for 1 min, APPROVED for $1000.

One last question about "carrying balance". When you say carrying balance, do you mean the balance on the statement cuts date? Does statement cuts = the last day of the billing cycle? What if I carry the balance thru due date (0 intro APR)? Some say below 30% will not hurt, some say 1-9% (on statement cuts?) is good for your history. Keep it straight: How can I take advantage of the 0% intro APR without hurting my credit history?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
flyingace
Valued Member

Re: Chase Freedom approved without SSN/credit history.

@vwgrrc wrote:

Hi you all, 

I've learned a lot on this forum in the last few days. Here's the payoff~ Hope my experience could help others and my luckiness passed to everyone!

I'm 23, a full-time student with Visa. No employer no SSN no credit history. Attracted by the cash rewarding feature, I want to try my luck even I knew it's not very possible. I first send a msg to Customer Center, which I believe it's in their HQ. They responded as they cannot do it since I don't have SSN and they cannot identified me. Then I called the local branch, the representative hesitated for a while and said "Yes. But be sure you find a experienced banker who knows how to do this". Getting more interesting~ I walked into a branch before weekend. A banker said if I have more than ASK in my account, he could request a "special consideration" (it feels like a direct-recon pushed by the banker for me). Then I applied, with 10 months banking with Chase and roughly ASK in my account at that moment, saving+checking. One business day after I applied, a number from Newark, DE called me identified as Chase...... She verified my profile and put me in hold for 1 min, APPROVED for $1000.

One last question about "carrying balance". When you say carrying balance, do you mean the balance on the statement cuts date? Does statement cuts = the last day of the billing cycle? What if I carry the balance thru due date (0 intro APR)? Some say below 30% will not hurt, some say 1-9% (on statement cuts?) is good for your history. Keep it straight: How can I take advantage of the 0% intro APR without hurting my credit history?

Thank you.

The statement will cut on said date (let's say it's the first of the month). If you have a balance on THAT date, then you are "carrying a balance." Now, your due date is usually about 21 days after the statement "cuts." So if the due date is the 21st, then you have to pay the entire amount if you want to avoid interest charges. 

Also, if your balance is $100 on the statement cut date, then you are utilizing 10% of your CL, anything below that is pretty ideal. 

In my Snoopy holder: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa-- $11K | Chase Freedom -- $2500 | AMEX BCE -- $2000 | Amazon Visa -- $2000 | Discover It $1500| Old Navy Visa -- $1000 | Target Red Card -- $300

TU (Disc Pull 4/29/13) -- 752 | AmexEQ (6/13/13) -- 728 | AmexEXP-- 737 | AmexTU-- 737 (5/28/13)
Goals: 740 EQ/EXP/TU
Gardening until 12/3/13 -- or longer
Message 2 of 28
flyingace
Valued Member

Also... I thought you couldn't have a credit report if you don't have a SSN. So, you may have a card, but I'm curious as to whether it will report to anything. 

In my Snoopy holder: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa-- $11K | Chase Freedom -- $2500 | AMEX BCE -- $2000 | Amazon Visa -- $2000 | Discover It $1500| Old Navy Visa -- $1000 | Target Red Card -- $300

TU (Disc Pull 4/29/13) -- 752 | AmexEQ (6/13/13) -- 728 | AmexEXP-- 737 | AmexTU-- 737 (5/28/13)
Message 3 of 28
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

@flyingace wrote:

Also... I thought you couldn't have a credit report if you don't have a SSN. So, you may have a card, but I'm curious as to whether it will report to anything. 

Exactly~ that's what I'm thinking about. But I've heard that before you can still build credit w/o ssn. I was wondering how~ tax ID? DL number? I don't know. 

Regarding to your first answer, so the statement cuts date is nothing to do billing cycle? The Freedom comes with 0 APR for 15 months, there will be no interest charge if I carry balance thru due date. But does it hurt my credit history (if applicable)? 

Thanks again~

Message 4 of 28
flyingace
Valued Member

@vwgrrc wrote:

@flyingace wrote:

Exactly~ that's what I'm thinking about. But I've heard that before you can still build credit w/o ssn. I was wondering how~ tax ID? DL number? I don't know. 

Regarding to your first answer, so the statement cuts date is nothing to do billing cycle? The Freedom comes with 0 APR for 15 months, there will be no interest charge if I carry balance thru due date. But does it hurt my credit history (if applicable)? 

Thanks again~

If it comes with the intro offer, you will have no interest for those 15 months, regardless of whether you carry a balance. And, yes, the statement cuts date is the END of your billing cycle. 

So, to recap, if you have the into 0% offer, than you don't worry about having to pay-in-full, as there is no interest; however, be careful not to carry too high a balance, as your credit line is pretty low.

Message 5 of 28
vwgrrc
Regular Contributor

@flyingace wrote:

@vwgrrc wrote:

@flyingace wrote:

Thanks again~

If it comes with the intro offer, you will have no interest for those 15 months, regardless of whether you carry a balance. And, yes, the statement cuts date is the END of your billing cycle. 

So, to recap, if you have the into 0% offer, than you don't worry about having to pay-in-full, as there is no interest; however, be careful not to carry too high a balance, as your credit line is pretty low.

Sounds solid!

Message 6 of 28
enharu
Super Contributor

Basically you are building credit history in a not-so-normal way. Same thing happened to me for Wells Fargo in the past.

Once you get your SSN, just call chase and have them update it on their files.

Congrats!
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 28
flyingace
Valued Member

@enharu wrote:
Basically you are building credit history in a not-so-normal way. Same thing happened to me for Wells Fargo in the past.

Once you get your SSN, just call chase and have them update it on their files.

Congrats!

Would the CRA be able to "backdate" his history w/ Chase once he gets his SSN?

Message 8 of 28
enharu
Super Contributor

Yup they can. My Wells Fargo was my hidden trade line until I had them update my account with the CRAs. It gave my scores a good 90 point boost once it was reporting
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 28
winner88
Contributor

As a fulltime student on student visa, you hsould be able to get a SSN why haven't you?

EQ 772
TU 764
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.