cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom card Declined but got approved for an Amex Blue cash card?

tag
Closingracer
Established Member

Chase Freedom card Declined but got approved for an Amex Blue cash card?

I recently turned 23 about a month ago and Got my first Credit card around May of this year which was my Discover it card with a $750 dollar Credit limit. I got approved to a 2nd card which is the amazon store card with a limite of $400 around August. Now i Applied to Citi Bank thank you card , Chase Freedom and American express and all declind me around July. I recently applied for the American express Blue cash card and got an instant approval with a $1000 Credit limit but probably got Declined for the Chase Freedom card again with the typical we need more time. I also got Declined for the citi card again as well Smiley Sad 

Now why did i get approved for the Amex card but Declined for the Chase card? Wouldnt the Amex be harder to get Approved for ?

Edit: just wanted to point out i also have a ton of HP's on my Credit report (10 maybe? ) within the last few months

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom card Declined but got approved for an Amex Blue cash card?

Welcome to the forum. Congrats! It might have to do with inquiries on the report they pulled. Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 10
Closingracer
Established Member

@coldnmn wrote:

Welcome to the forum. Congrats! It might have to do with inquiries on the report they pulled. Thanks for sharing.

I Only checked my Experian Report a few times after each failed app and i have around 10 -15 HP's on them because of App's and CI applied for a Credit limit increase on my Amazon store card and Discover it card . I know for sure the Discover and amazon store card is both reporting on the Experian report but i havent checked the other 2.

I would guess my Credit score is on the lower side average for new people with Credit because i probably have more HP's for about a year or 2 ago from me appling for cards

Message 3 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum 

Congrats on the Amex 

Recon the Freedom 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 10
Closingracer
Established Member

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome to the forum 

Congrats on the Amex 

Recon the Freedom 

I would Recon the Freedom but i did it last time and basically was not enough Credit history and i figured it was a longshot anyways. I just really want a "3rd" credit card ( I only have the Amazon store card for the Limit basically and use it once in a while to keep it active ) and would love to have a Mastercard/ Visa since my only 2 credit cards are Amex and Discover which are the only 2 out of the 4 major ones in the states that are least accepted

I wonder though would appling to the Amazon Visa card mean i would be rejected as well since it is done by chase as well? Also the Bestbuy Mastercard is that hard to get approved?

Message 5 of 10
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the AMEX!

The big banks usually won't give you credit unless you have at least one year's experience of good credit behavior with at least 2 CCs.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 6 of 10
Closingracer
Established Member

@jamie123 wrote:

Congrats on the AMEX!

The big banks usually won't give you credit unless you have at least one year's experience of good credit behavior with at least 2 CCs.

Thanks! I really expected them t just reject me on the spot Smiley Happy

Really? that sucks. I really would like a Visa card or Mastercard in the off chance i go overseas and  would also like 1 more card to make it "4" credit cards to look better on my history

Message 7 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Closingracer wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome to the forum 

Congrats on the Amex 

Recon the Freedom 

I would Recon the Freedom but i did it last time and basically was not enough Credit history and i figured it was a longshot anyways. I just really want a "3rd" credit card ( I only have the Amazon store card for the Limit basically and use it once in a while to keep it active ) and would love to have a Mastercard/ Visa since my only 2 credit cards are Amex and Discover which are the only 2 out of the 4 major ones in the states that are least accepted

I wonder though would appling to the Amazon Visa card mean i would be rejected as well since it is done by chase as well? Also the Bestbuy Mastercard is that hard to get approved?

Still recon you took a HP already now take another chance all they cay say is no then try again tomorrow 

Chase is good on recon 

If you hear the short history speech again I would say although short I really want to build a relationship with your bank even if it meant starting at a smaller limit 

I've done my research and the rewards are excellent 

Good luck 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 10
MissCredit9
Frequent Contributor

@Closingracer wrote:

I recently turned 23 about a month ago and Got my first Credit card around May of this year which was my Discover it card with a $750 dollar Credit limit. I got approved to a 2nd card which is the amazon store card with a limite of $400 around August. Now i Applied to Citi Bank thank you card , Chase Freedom and American express and all declind me around July. I recently applied for the American express Blue cash card and got an instant approval with a $1000 Credit limit but probably got Declined for the Chase Freedom card again with the typical we need more time. I also got Declined for the citi card again as well Smiley Sad 

Now why did i get approved for the Amex card but Declined for the Chase card? Wouldnt the Amex be harder to get Approved for ?

Edit: just wanted to point out i also have a ton of HP's on my Credit report (10 maybe? ) within the last few months

There is no such thing as "easier or harder to get" in the credit world, only "easier or harder to get in your particular situation". I got denied by AMEX for having too many inquiries/ new accounts back in September. I waited until my credit history hit the 1yr mark and app'ed for 2 Chase cards in the last few weeks and was approved for both. So in my case Chase was easier. From what I have seen with thin credit files on here Chase either likes to be one of few accounts early on with a low limit or see 1 yr experience with a credit card for approval.

AMEX PRG NPSL, FIDELITY REWARDS 50K, CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE 27K, AMEX DELTA SKYMIES GOLD 25K, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 22K, CHASE FREEDOM 20K, CITI DOUBLE CASH 15.5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 15K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, CAPITAL ONE SONY CARD 5.75K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3.5K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 2650, EXPRESS NEXT 1850,Gardening2/17/17.
Message 9 of 10
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats on the approvals

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.