Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Saphire Preferred VS Chase Freedom

tag
Aggielockett

Chase Saphire Preferred VS Chase Freedom

Howdy,

After we close on our first home mortgage I am looking to go after a new card...  I really like th AMEX Blue Travel and the Chase Saphire Preferred offerings.  I am a rebuilder of credit--All collections are gone, a couple of derogs still showing, but slowly falling (3 or so left around 6.5 years) and 6 credit lines totaling 6,000 in limit--The highest being a capital one quick silver with 3,500 limit--Have a barclay with 1,000 limit and others are below...  Utilization is about 16% which is on the Quicksilver and everything else is at zero...  Scores are ranging 670 to 700...  In a couple of months I would like to apply for a major card...

The question lies--Should I apply for the freedom first or go straight for the gusto of the one I really want--Chase has me pre qualified for the Freedom and the Slate... and my other question here is--What about the AMEX Blue--How hard is that to get??? 

Any thought or comments would be greatly appreciated...

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 631
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
asphaltcowboy
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Saphire Preferred VS Chase Freedom

Welcome to the forum,,

I believe you need a card with at least a 5K limit to qualify for the CPS,

it depends on what type of card you're looking for, Freedom for rewards,

Slate for balance transfers, sorry don't know about the Amex card.

Best of luck to you!!Smiley Happy

Starting Score TU 667 EQ 663 EX 655
Current Score TU 778 EQ 776 EX 781 Last Update 4/2016
Garden Club 04/10/2013
Message 2 of 10
Aggielockett

I know I have read a lot on this card (CSP) and from what I have gathered a number of people have qualified with other cards under the limit...  I am leaning toward starting with the Freedom card and building the relationship--But I ultamitly want the CSP...  Just being patient because I have taken so long to fix this that I want to do it right as I grow into the credit world... i only want 2 more cards, but I may have to take a third to get where I want ultiamtly...

Message 3 of 10
Josh2942
Established Contributor

Chase Sapphire Preffered is deffintelty better than the freedom not just becasue its the hardest to get from the Chase side of JP.Mogan. You will have NPSL and larger limits. The slate is simply for balance transfers its nothing special. The freedom is a great way to start a relationship with Chase but if you want more perks and a Visa Signature or World Mastercard You should get the CSP. You can also get the regular Chase Sapphire that does not have an annual fee. The fee is worth it though.

Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 4 of 10
Aggielockett

No doubt there--- I whole heartedly agree with you--Just trying to figure out the best avenue to get there... Not sure if anyone has skipped straight to it with a limited history such as mine...I have had credit for a long time--Bruised it up really bad and repaired... Just not aware if I need to take a stepping stone with the freedom first or go straight for the gusto... If it even matters...

Message 5 of 10
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

I would start with the Freedom, the CSP might be a tougher nut to crack. Like stated above, the freedom will help you build a relationship with Chase.

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 6 of 10
Josh2942
Established Contributor

I completely breezed over your history. You have a long AAoA but you should request CLI on all you cards. Chase wants to see at least one high revolver at or over 5k. Freedom might be what you need

Jaguar F-Type R Loan 50K Balance
Goldman Sachs Signature Loan $29,000 TU 750 score pulled at time of loan.
Student Loan Debt $1,500
Credit Card Debt $300 1>% of $166,700
FAKO Transunion 723 Equifax 744
What's in my wallet? Chase Sapphire Reserve, Chase Freedom Unlimited, and AMEX Blue for Business
Message 7 of 10
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Plus, most people that have the CSP also have a Freedom to maximize their 5% quaterly spending. Since the Freedom doesn't have an annual fee, it won't hurt anything.

You might also consider the new Everday Preferred card from AMEX, which seems aligned to compete with the CSP. Both Ultimate Rewards and Membership Rewards points can be valuable and have their perks.

Message 8 of 10
Aggielockett

Do you think AMEX--which is my the second card that I do desire has a build up process--Like start here to get to here type of thing--LIke I read that chase might have... Freedom to CSP so to speak...

Message 9 of 10
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Aggielockett wrote:

Do you think AMEX--which is my the second card that I do desire has a build up process--Like start here to get to here type of thing--LIke I read that chase might have... Freedom to CSP so to speak...

Many people start with a charge card to build a relationship with them, and then apply for a revolver later once they've established a positive relationship with them. However, like any CC issuer, while these things may help you get your foot in the door, your CR carries the most weight.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.