Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi ThankYou® Premier Card is here now, 50K TY Points

tag
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Citi ThankYou® Premier Card is here now, 50K TY Points

Well here it is: https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/credit-card-details/detail.do?ID=citi-thankyou-premier-credit-card...

It has a decent sign up bonus, but of course there is a catch:

Earn up to 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points:Earn 20,000 points after $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening. Earn an additional 30,000 points after another $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of your second year of being a cardmember. Bonus points are redeemable for up to $500 in gift cards, up to $625 for airfare or other great rewards.2

I think they will probably revamp the card again in few months if people don't apply for it...that $125 AF is steep. 

EQ: 768 TU: 769 EXP: 805
Ritz Carlton: 18k
CSP: 7K | Chase Freedom: 5.7K
MERRILL+® VS: 9K | BOA AMEX: 1K
BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

Re: Citi ThankYou® Premier Card is here now, 50K TY Points

I might add, if people forget about the 2nd year anniversary to earn the additional 30K points...they will probably be SOL, Nice thinking Citi...lol..

BOA 123: 7K Discover IT: 6K | Discover Chrome 4K | Costco AMEX: 15K | AMEX PRG NPSL | AMEX BCE 15K | Barclay NFL: 4.9K | Citi TYP 7K | Amazon Chase 1.7K | Barclaycard Arrival Plus WEMC 5K | Citi DC 5K | FNBO AMEX 4.8K | CAP 1 QS 10K | U.S. Bank Cash+ VS 5K |U.S. Bank Perks+ VS 6K
Message 2 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

Not taking into consideration any of its perks, 50k TY points for $125 is worthwhile.
Just not too sure if I will bother getting it however.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
Not taking into consideration any of its perks, 80k TY points for $125 is well worth it.

+1

No doubt, a reminder for the 2nd bonus piece would be in place - no way I would let those points slip away.  But, as pointed out, SOL if you forget!  I'm sure Citi would remind individuals during the anniversary? Or not. 

If this product would have been available in July with the current rewards structure, I would have considered it.  Of course a PC would be futile since it would be bye-bye sign up bonus.

Message 4 of 18
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Looks like a decent card.  Too bad no more app'ing for me this year.  Perhaps sometimes next year. Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 18
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Not taking into consideration any of its perks, 50k TY points for $125 is worthwhile.

Considering it will take 2 years to earn the bonus that they are advertising...bleh...

If it was all at once, it would have been nice.

Message 6 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@IcEWoLF wrote:

@enharu wrote:

Considering it will take 2 years to earn the bonus that they are advertising...bleh...

If it was all at once, it would have been nice.

+1

LOL

Message 7 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

It's essentially a little more than 1 year to earn the bonus, not 2. 50k TY for $125 is a good deal, though if you really want to compare, then the CSP is better for instance.

Worst case scenario: you apply, get the 20k TY, and cancel before AF hits.

I'm just not sure if its worthwhile to go through all these just for 50k TY points, especially considering how easy it is to churn TY preferred cards. That card does have somewhat better perks, such as 3X dining and entertainment and 0 FTF, but it's probably not worth it for $125. It just seems like a ghetto version of the citi prestige.

If citi is to introduce additional transfer partners, then the card might be more worthwhile.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:
It's essentially a little more than 1 year to earn the bonus, not 2. 50k TY for $125 is a good deal, though if you really want to compare, then the CSP is better for instance.

Worst case scenario: you apply, get the 20k TY, and cancel before AF hits.

I'm just not sure if its worthwhile to go through all these just for 50k TY points, especially considering how easy it is to churn TY preferred cards. That card does have somewhat better perks, such as 3X dining and entertainment and 0 FTF, but it's probably not worth it for $125. It just seems like a ghetto version of the citi prestige.

If citi is to introduce additional transfer partners, then the card might be more worthwhile.

ROFLMAO... you are on a roll tonite enharu!! 

Message 9 of 18
IcEWoLF
Frequent Contributor

I got the TY Preferred Card because I could easily access Citi Private Pass, so I could get access to some exclusive events, which is nice.

But yeah, when comparing the CSP to this...well the CSP is way better, and it will soon have the Chip technology built in, so it would be more amazing!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.