Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco AMEX & Bank of America Better Balance Rewards questions

tag
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Re: Costco AMEX & Bank of America Better Balance Rewards questions

Congrats on the approvals. Although didn't matter now but curious, Did you apply for the AMEX at Costco? If so they should have told you the CL there and it would have been with the temporary card they give you.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 11 of 17
slweal87
Contributor

No, I applied online. Got instant approval. Started my online account, but then it took about 48 hours to be set up, logged back in and saw my limit was 5,000 which makes me happy.

Can't believe I got denied for the BoA Better Balance Mastercard in light of this.

I have a lot of hard pulls this year, and one card with a high utilization, but my overall utilization is under 20% (even less now with this card). 

1. WFCU Visa (2,000) 2. Chase Freedom (1,500) 3. Chase Amazon (300) 4. Chase Sapphire non-preferred (5,000) 5. Discover IT (3,500) 6. Capital One Quicksilver (3,000) 7. Citibank Dividend (4,300) 8. AMEX Costco True Earnings (5,000) 9. Barclaycard Arrival w/ AF (3,000) 10. Target REDcard (2,700) 11. Amex Blue Cash Everyday (10,000)
Message 12 of 17
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

From my understanding BofA is inquiry sensitive. Could be wrong though, as I don't have nor applied for their products.
NFCU Cash Rewards | CSP | Freedom Unlimited | WalMart MC | Target Red MC | Citi Costco | AMEX BCE
Message 13 of 17
slweal87
Contributor

That would explain a lot! I'm at 10 now... BoA being my 10th. But I believe 3 were car refinance shopping and should be factored in differently as they were all pulled in the same week. 2 were for renting places (moved for a job). And that means 5 were for cards! 

1. WFCU Visa (2,000) 2. Chase Freedom (1,500) 3. Chase Amazon (300) 4. Chase Sapphire non-preferred (5,000) 5. Discover IT (3,500) 6. Capital One Quicksilver (3,000) 7. Citibank Dividend (4,300) 8. AMEX Costco True Earnings (5,000) 9. Barclaycard Arrival w/ AF (3,000) 10. Target REDcard (2,700) 11. Amex Blue Cash Everyday (10,000)
Message 14 of 17
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

If that's the case and you really want it you could be approved with a recon. The car and rental should count as one each. It's possible the computer calculated each inquiry separately.
Message 15 of 17
slweal87
Contributor

Well the rentals actually were separate. One in January and one in September. I had moved twice in 2013. 

But yeah I figured out the recon number from this site, even though the 3rd guy I talked to on the phone said I had to recon over snail mail, but called and they were closed. I will try tomorrow during lunch. I really don't know how they could turn me down after an AMEX 5,000 limit approval. I mean they could at least give me a 500$ limit or something. I'm kind of anti-BoA from prior experience but they do have free museum entry days in Los Angeles for cardholders and I do want a Mastercard to complete my collection (AMEX, Discover, many VISAs no Mastercard). And since they already HPed me.

Definitely going to garden all of 2014. Got to get in shape for a mortgage app within the next few years. 

Message 16 of 17
JediNeo
Frequent Contributor

Man I miss southern California. Lived in Santa Ana for four years. Sounds like you have a great plan laid out for yourself. Good luck with your recon and future endeavors.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.