Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit Increase from Capital One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Limit Increase from Capital One

@frogfan12 wrote:

I don't hate Capital One but like previously mentioned, their cards don't grow with you. I've had a Capital One card for nearly 6 years and haven't had a CLI in over 3 years. Their customer service is also so-so. Just my two cents.

You're giving them too much credit Smiley Wink Their customer "service" is completely useless. They give about as much "service" to customers as "convenience fees" are convenient.

Message 11 of 37
CS800
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I've had Capital One for almost 3 years and they've only increased my limit once. Can anyone tell me how their relationship with capital one has been. Truly appreciate it

You got a CLI once? You're already a rare breed on this forum. Most of us have not received a CLI in ages

Message 12 of 37
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@frogfan12 wrote:

I don't hate Capital One but like previously mentioned, their cards don't grow with you. I've had a Capital One card for nearly 6 years and haven't had a CLI in over 3 years. Their customer service is also so-so. Just my two cents.

You're giving them too much credit Smiley Wink Their customer "service" is completely useless. They give about as much "service" to customers as "convenience fees" are convenient.

Well, aside from calling to inquire about my Sony by Chase card switching to Capital One last year, I haven't really talked to anyone at Capital One since about 2008. 

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 13 of 37
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@logan_720 wrote:

Yeah, I was surprised. Smiley SurprisedI wasn't sure it would be possible. But I still closed one of my accounts anyway. It might also be because I used the card pretty heavily in the past. It's always worth a try. But if my Chase recon is successful tomorrow, I may still cancel it.

Wow. I can hardly believe it.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 14 of 37
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

When you say "so-so" you are being extremely generous, much more so than they are with CLIs Smiley Happy

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 15 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

@frogfan12 wrote:

When you say "so-so" you are being extremely generous, much more so than they are with CLIs Smiley Happy

+1

Actually, way more than plus one, I think everyone here is going to agree about them being absurdly stingy with CLIs.

Message 16 of 37
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I understand the sentiments about Capital One CLI and product changes. I would think their builder /rebuilder cards have some very tight rules on what can be done regarding CLI's and product changes.  By design in theory after the rebuild or build is complete you should be ready to move on depending on what your credit needs are.  On the other hand I would imagaine Cap 1 has plenty of builder accounts that go bad as well. Remember this are of the credit market from lender's perspective is not a low risk area. I remember a conversation I had with a Cap 1 representative when I closed my account.  I had prime card and an issue came up that cannot happrn today due to legislative enactment.  The rep said to me you actually pay your bills this was in 2009. They offered to correct the problem which the first rep refused to do by that point in time it was too late. Now some 2 to 3 years later I was I had kept the account open.  For those of you frustrated with Cap 1 onr product changes try doing this with a Chase Amazon card everytime I ask I get same answer NO.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 17 of 37
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

I understand the sentiments about Capital One CLI and product changes. I would think their builder /rebuilder cards have some very tight rules on what can be done regarding CLI's and product changes.  By design in theory after the rebuild or build is complete you should be ready to move on depending on what your credit needs are.  On the other hand I would imagaine Cap 1 has plenty of builder accounts that go bad as well. Remember this are of the credit market from lender's perspective is not a low risk area. I remember a conversation I had with a Cap 1 representative when I closed my account.  I had prime card and an issue came up that cannot happrn today due to legislative enactment.  The rep said to me you actually pay your bills this was in 2009. They offered to correct the problem which the first rep refused to do by that point in time it was too late. Now some 2 to 3 years later I was I had kept the account open.  For those of you frustrated with Cap 1 onr product changes try doing this with a Chase Amazon card everytime I ask I get same answer NO.

With your credit score you could probably get one of their prime cards.  You could always try the prequalify option to see what they have for you.  Remember, check what the first line says.  It might not match your records to an offer, just go by what you said about your history is.  They have blocked some users from prequalifying for different reasons.  If you do qualify for a prime product take it.  They treat their Prime customers differently than their nonprime. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 18 of 37
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Cap1 CS really isnt that bad. They always help when I have an issue. Last time I had an issue this week and they gave me a $50 credit adjustment for my troubles. Thats good enough to keep me happy.
Message 19 of 37
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

I have no complaints. They gave me an instant approval with a $10,000 limit.

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.