Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCOVER FIRST CLI

tag
ezef3ar
Contributor

DISCOVER FIRST CLI

Hey guys one quick question how long should I wait to ask for my first CLI. with my discover card I just got approve last week. And how should I use the card. To get a positive position with discover also... Does discover make hard pull for increases ????
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tburns
Regular Contributor

Re: DISCOVER FIRST CLI

You can ask after 6 months.

Depends on the hard pull. You can ask and you might get a CLI without a HP online or on the phone with the automated system. If you ask a CSR it will be a HP.

I got my first CLI and had to do a HP to get it from $750 to $1500 after 7 months. Next one was an auto CLI and APR reduction without asking to $2500 and just yesterday I asked online for another 1k and was approved for $500 without a HP. I could have done the HP to be considered for the rest but I just took the 500.

Message 2 of 8
ezef3ar
Contributor

Awsome Ill wait for the 6 months I don't care.... I always wanted a discover car and I will treat this card very very good Smiley Happy. Hey so how should I use this card to look good in discover eyes Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 8
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@ezef3ar wrote:
Awsome Ill wait for the 6 months I don't care.... I always wanted a discover car and I will treat this card very very good Smiley Happy. Hey so how should I use this card to look good in discover eyes Smiley Happy

I can't speak specifically to Discover, since I don't have one, but I have strong beliefs about credit card "use" that I will share.

Use it however you want, but never spend just to use a card.  That is the first way to get into debt.  If you normally buy $200 in groceries a month, $100 in gas, and another few hundred in discretionary spending, just do that.  Put it on the card, PIF to avoid interest, and see what happens.  From reading this forum, and the experience of people around me, responsible credit card use leads to auto CLIs for many lenders.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 8
ezef3ar
Contributor

I'm gonna do that for sure I'm gonna use my credit card like my debit card And pay all the balance every month Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 8
RonDawg
Contributor

@ezef3ar wrote:
Hey guys one quick question how long should I wait to ask for my first CLI. with my discover card I just got approve last week. And how should I use the card. To get a positive position with discover also... Does discover make hard pull for increases ????

Discover auto increases mine every 3 months Not sure why.  After 6 you can ask for one.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started off with a 3000.00 discover limit. Used it for all of my purchases but made sure the balance was under 30% before the STATEMENT closed. Then when the bill came I paid off in full same day it came out. Repeated for two more cylces and was given a 750.00 increase 24hours after I paid my 3rd bill. Hope this helps!

Message 7 of 8
Cory
Established Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

@ezef3ar wrote:

I can't speak specifically to Discover, since I don't have one, but I have strong beliefs about credit card "use" that I will share.

Use it however you want, but never spend just to use a card.  That is the first way to get into debt.  If you normally buy $200 in groceries a month, $100 in gas, and another few hundred in discretionary spending, just do that.  Put it on the card, PIF to avoid interest, and see what happens.  From reading this forum, and the experience of people around me, responsible credit card use leads to auto CLIs for many lenders.

This is excellent advice! Very much appreciated. Thank you for your wisdom.

Cory

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.