cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denial due to no credit card history. Any viable options?

tag
Evel_Knievel
Established Member

Denial due to no credit card history. Any viable options?

I applied online for a Barclays NFL Rewards card and was denied. I called the following monday to get a reconsideration and the reason was that I had no other CC's. I kindly stated that's why I was applying. They went on to say that my report was fine, I just didn't have any CC's. What a crock.

I guess I wasn't aware and nobody on the forums mentioned anything until after I posted I was denied, that Barclays wants you to have CC history. Just great, a wasted hard pull!!

So I took a 2 point loss on TU score.

So I'm here seeking some suggestions if you would be so kind. I'd like to get my CS back in shape and I know I need a CC to do it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an unsecured card that I "may" get approved for? Even a low limit is a start, I just need to get something rolling in a positive direction.

Currently my TU Vantage score is 711

CKarma score 638

Fico score,,, who knows.

I have several installment loans going as far back as they are allowed to report showing as all paid in full and all payments on time. I have an installment loan open with a balance just under $3K that is a year old and all payments on time.

One judgement that is 5 years old that is paid in full. It doesn't list what the judgement was for, just the attorney firm who collected.

TU and EQ show a collection for Verizon that is due to fall off this December.

Other than that everything is green.

Are there any unsecured cards I may qualify for in your opinion? Keeping in mind I don't have any credit card history.

I tried a website that tries to match you up with offers with a soft pull but they are recommending a prime Cap 1 all the way down to Cap 1 standard. I'm afraid to apply for the lowest card if it's going to result in another denial and hard pull.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
madnutz
New Contributor

Re: Denial due to no credit card history. Any viable options?

I would say your low score with combination of the baddies are the reason you got denied, I mean sure they say because no credit card but I think the red flag was due to low score.  In regards to the secured card, I would check out either a local credit union(make sure they report to all 3 credit buereaus) or the easy one tha twoudl be capital one, I would actually try to get a pre-approval offer from cap one since they don't require hard pull and would give you a good idea if you would get accepted or not, that way you don't have to put any cash down

Message 2 of 19
L-TWT
Established Contributor

IMO, since you have limited to not credit history

if I were you and if your willing to pay a small monthy AF

I would open a secured CC with BofA ($39 AF) or Cap1 ($29 AF)

build your credit up over the next 9-12mos, than try to PC to an unsecured CC!

Message 3 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Sorry for your denial. This forum provides advice and suggestions based on the information provided. If you were told that Barclays would have approved you based on the info in your most recent pits, I am surprised.

That being said, there are lenders who will be the first but that would mean a clean credit profile. Your derogs are stopping you from the likes of Discover who are ok with no previous cc history.

If Cap 1 is no, there are secured cc's that might interest you...BoA or SDFCU. I'd also do a search for the Shopping Cart Trick.
Message 4 of 19
Evel_Knievel
Established Member

What gets me is when I go to the find my card site for Cap1 and enter my info for a "Preapproval", it suggest a Cap1 Platinum, Cap 1 Quicksilver One and a secured MC.

I'm fairly sure the Platinum is a fluke? If I apply for one and get denied, would they suggest another card by them that I do qualify for?

Message 5 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

No, they will not counter, it would require an additional hp. Also, Cap 1 pulls all 3 bureaus.
The shopping cart trick list if stores are SP's based on matching your cr with the information you've input into a 'shopping cart'. It make take some time but at least it's not a hp.
SDFCU secured card does not graduate but there is no hp, the APR is 6.99 and the fees are low.
Message 6 of 19
mekikya
Established Member

I'd try Capitalone, I had no other credit cards, and they gave me my first. I have the Platinum with $0 intro fee and $19 a year after that... which is WAY better than any other credit card with a yearly fee. Then I was approved for a Discover IT after a few months of good payments.

Message 7 of 19
mekikya
Established Member

Also, I have chatted with them online, which is an awesome feature, and they were able to tell me certain "requirements" for certain cards...

Message 8 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If you have CAs that will fall off in December, it would be best to wait until they are off your CR's
Message 9 of 19
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

I would apply for a secured or try the shopping trick just too be safe like Lexi says. I got approved for capital one secured card and another one at my local credit union. I will be using them for a while before applying for a unsecured.
Samsung mobile
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.