Frequent Contributor
pdog661

Discover Card CLI - 6 statements or 6 months

Hi,

I applied, and was given a discover card in sept '12.  My first statement did not cut until Novemeber.

Does my 6 month window for a cli start with the open date or the first statement date?

Thank you

Valued Contributor
ryanbush

Re: Discover Card CLI - 6 statements or 6 months

I was told it was after the 6th statement by a rep on the phone, ymmv though

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Regular Contributor
drew11

I first heard it was 6 months of having the card open but after 6 months of waiting and no LUV button I figured I was in the group of people who only got their CLI after 6 statements. But once the 6th statement cut for me I still didn't have anything when I clicked on the CLI link. So I decided to call in but the computer ended up saying that I needed a hard pull in order to continue so I cancelled the request - I guess Discover didn't think I needed the CLI.

I'll have to admit I only put major spending through the card when the 5% online shopping was around during the holidays. At least they thought I was a nice enough customer to give me a $5 gift card to starbucks! :smileyhappy:

06/16/13 Equifax FICO 733
06/16/13 Experian FICO 745
06/16/13 TransUnion FICO 740

PenFed Platinum: $1000 | Chase Freedom: $5500 | Discover IT: $1500 | Amex BCP $17,600 | Chase CSP: $8000 | Chase Hyatt: $5000
Valued Contributor
dodgerslv

I am wondering how is going to work in my case or i anyone knows i would appreciate the input but i got my Discover back in August and the first statement cut mid Sept. but in november i changed my due date to the begining of every month so there wasnt a statement that generated in Nov because of the change in due date. it will be 6 months since i had the cardcome February but only 5 statements cuz of the change. I am willing to take a HP because i want them to double my CL (currently at 1500). Will i be eligible for a CLI or should i wait until the March statement generates even though it will be 7 months since i had the card?

cards in wallet : Chase CSP (15k), BofA Privilege (33K), Amex BCP (6K), Discover (8k), Barclays Arrival + (12.5k), US Bank Flex Travel (7.5K), US Bank Cash + (6k) Penfed Rewards (22.5k)
cards for travel: Citi AA WEMC (20K), Citi Prestige (11.5K), Chase Ritz (20K), Chase United Explorer (22K), Barclays US Airways (10k)
Fico 08 scores (6/21/14) EX: 758 TU: 759 EQ: 755

New Contributor
Phizzle

IIRC, it is six months from the creation date. I applied for my card on the 19th of June in 2012 and was approved 3 or 4 days later after verification with a rep. I called mid December and was told to call back on the 19th of December (not sure why). The 19th came and no cli, but I got a nice gentlemen on the phone who told me the account was not actually created until the 26th and to call back then. I called back as instructed, and I received my increase. Had to HP, but I did not mind since it went from 1 to 6k. :-)

Valued Contributor
dodgerslv

Phizzle wrote:

IIRC, it is six months from the creation date. I applied for my card on the 19th of June in 2012 and was approved 3 or 4 days later after verification with a rep. I called mid December and was told to call back on the 19th of December (not sure why). The 19th came and no cli, but I got a nice gentlemen on the phone who told me the account was not actually created until the 26th and to call back then. I called back as instructed, and I received my increase. Had to HP, but I did not mind since it went from 1 to 6k. :-)

thats awesome and congrats on the increase! that gives me hope, i should actually ask for more since im willing to take the HP but the reason i am asking only for that much is because my highest credit limit is a WF secured card (3500 limit).  I want to actually ask for 5000 but not sure if they are known to counter offer or just straight out deny you.

cards in wallet : Chase CSP (15k), BofA Privilege (33K), Amex BCP (6K), Discover (8k), Barclays Arrival + (12.5k), US Bank Flex Travel (7.5K), US Bank Cash + (6k) Penfed Rewards (22.5k)
cards for travel: Citi AA WEMC (20K), Citi Prestige (11.5K), Chase Ritz (20K), Chase United Explorer (22K), Barclays US Airways (10k)

New Contributor
Phizzle

[ Edited ]

I see. Good luck with your increase. I will add in that I was showing a 6k limit with my Amex on my reports from the 61 day 3x from a few months back. When I requested the increase, I told them I would like to at least match that limit if possible. That may have had something to do with it.

I do not remember 100%, but I believe the gentleman told me the system would counter if it did not accept the request. I would definitely ask and then call back to ask a different rep, lol. Always good to ask a few different people imo.

Valued Contributor
dodgerslv

Phizzle wrote:

I see. Good luck with your increase. I will add in that I was showing a 6k limit with my Amex on my reports from the 61 day 3x from a few months back. When I requested the increase, I told them I would like to at least match that limit if possible. That may have had something to do with it.

I do not remember 100%, but I believe the gentleman told me the system would counter if it did not accept the request. I would definitely ask and then call back to ask a different rep, lol. Always good to ask a few different people imo.

thanks for the info and i will ask before...i think i am just going to play it safe and ask them if they could match my WF limit (3500). Will keep you posted as my 6 months will be around mid Feb.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+