Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover how could you?

tag
kchengg1
Contributor

Discover how could you?

Bank of America was able to give me a CLI of $1500 to $5000 today, but they didn't tell me that it was going to be a hard pull when I did this online. I was pretty happy about this until I checked creditkarma and saw that it was indeed a hard pull... So I'm a little mixed with my emotions right now.

Discover did a CLI and told me it was going to be a hard pull (i was ready to pull the trigger since I just got a hard pull from Bofa. and was like why not..). I was trying to go from $3000 to $8000. The rep told me that they were able to get me an increase of $3500. So I thought to myself, $7500 not bad. But when I checked online, it said my new credit limit was $3500... 

$500 for a hard pull? WHYYYY

Now have two hard pulls on TU (discover just hasn't shown up yet.. i'm hoping that it turned out to be a soft pull even though they told me it was going to be a hard pull). 

I'm not really sure if today was worth it at all.

These were my first inquiries since late march and now i left the garden without meaning to.. back to seedling status again Smiley Sad

Last App: 7/1/2016
AMEX PLATINUM (NPSL) | AMEX EveryDay Preferred | SPG Personal & Biz | Amex Everyday | Citi AAExecutive| Citi AA Plat | Citi Prestige | Citi Thank You Premier | DISCOVER IT | BOFA Cash Rewards Visa Signature | Alaska Personal & Biz | Amex Plat Biz | Amex Biz Gold
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover how could you?

@kchengg1 wrote:

Bank of America was able to give me a CLI of $1500 to $5000 today, but they didn't tell me that it was going to be a hard pull when I did this online. I was pretty happy about this until I checked creditkarma and saw that it was indeed a hard pull... So I'm a little mixed with my emotions right now.

Discover did a CLI and told me it was going to be a hard pull (i was ready to pull the trigger since I just got a hard pull from Bofa. and was like why not..). I was trying to go from $3000 to $8000. The rep told me that they were able to get me an increase of $3500. So I thought to myself, $7500 not bad. But when I checked online, it said my new credit limit was $3500... 

Now have two hard pulls on TU (discover just hasn't shown up yet.. i'm hoping that it turned out to be a soft pull even though they told me it was going to be a hard pull). 

These were my first inquiries since late march and now i left the garden without meaning to.. back to seedling status again Smiley Sad

Sorry to hear your experience. I would not go for hard pull unless I have desparate need of additional credit line.......I would let them do Auto CLI via soft pull.....Many of us get Auto CLI and it won't be through HP. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 2 of 16
wche
Regular Contributor

When I requested a SP CLI with Discover, I was also given a 500 increase from 3,000 -> 3,500. This was done with the front line CS rep. I immediately asked to be transferred to a credit analyst and expressed my disappointment. After the analyst reviewed my account, TU CR, and employment, she asked what CL I would be happy with. She granted my request, no hesitation, no additional HP.

Try calling their analyst line to discuss your situation. I remember talking about how Discover is my favorite card and really wanted to increase my spending power with Discover.  The analyst remarked my great credit history and approved! Good luck OP

Message 3 of 16
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Thanks for your report OP and so sorry they did their classic "quik change" on you. I experienced their bait n switch from DISCOVER at approval (Instant High APR with no 0% intro even though the preapproval letter stated otherwise) and try as i may without maxing my 1400 SL, PIF + Roll a Bal skippy-do and they still insist at 1 year for a HP that i refuse to permit. I just did a recent PIF to avoid paying interest and i know it ticked them off so this card heads to the shadows of the SD now. I just don't trust them.

Message 4 of 16
TheFate
Established Contributor

Wow I'd be pretty ticked about that aswell... I recomend you take the above posters advice and call the folks that have account power

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

i open a discover it CC recently and they gave me a 5k instant approval. Thats weird only a 500 limit increase.

Message 6 of 16
TheFate
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i open a discover it CC recently and they gave me a 5k instant approval. Thats weird only a 500 limit increase.

Thats a good starting limit... What were your scores?

Message 7 of 16
One7
Valued Contributor

I'm not happy with the way Discover treats me... but thankfully I have many others that treat me very well Smiley Happy Discover is now on the back burner

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 8 of 16
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@kchengg1 wrote:

Congratulations on your credit limit increases! Smiley Happy Thanks for sharing.

I would suggest calling Discover's underwriters in the AM and just explaining what happened. That you were really needing a larger amount for whatever purpose you need it for. (IE: travel, large purchase, general spend, etc.)

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Don't get what Discover is doing.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.