Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Double Approval Today

tag
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Double Approval Today

So, yesterday got some good news about my credit score cresting 800 and thought about leaving the garden to app for the FIA AMEX, but held off and slept on it.  Woke up this morning and after doing some research (forum search) and seeing the impact on my AAoA (would reduce by about a half year, but still be over 10 yrs.) decided why not. 

Got a little hesitant on the FIA AMEX and merely opened the Fidelity Cash Management account that I had already intended to do and in the process opened the Fidelity Account.  At that point decided there was no turning back and called in the app for the AMEX, took about 15 minutes to complete everything and was approved for $16K.  The only thing I didn't do was link my CMA with the credit card and now will have to wait until the card arrives in a couple weeks.

Having read 09Lexie's app thread and other posts of being approved for the Merrill Lynch + VS card figured what did I have to lose.  Took a little bit of time to find the right number, but eventually called in the app and got the 30 day message from the lady that took my application.  Given my knowledge from the forum, hung up the phone with her and immediately called the FIA/BoA accoutn services number and talked with Eric for a few minutes.  He verified my personal information and asked me questions about how much money I planned to invest with Merrill.  He then said I had an excellent payment history with BoA asked what I planned to use the card for?  I told him I planned to use it for travel.  He replied that since I have a BoA BBR card ($15K) and now a FIA AMEX card ($16K) he could only approve me for $10K on the Merrill+.  (There is definitely an internal limit with BoA)  His next statement was very surprising to me as he asked me if that was enough or was I looking for more.  I told him I was really looking for $15K and he asked what my liquid assets were and after my response he happily approved me for $15K. 

I asked 2 followon questions out of curiosity.  First, I asked if I wanted to increase my limits on any of my cards how long before I could ask for a CLI?  He said that given the total amount that I have been given between the 3 cards I would first need to move CLs.  He added that I could ask at any time with another pull (more on that in a minute), but he could see that the most I had used on the BBR was ~$2500, so felt unlikely they would approve more.  My second question was whether or not the application for both cards would be 1 or 2 HPs.  He replied that since they were in such close proximity (about an hour for both apps) they would be only one since they have to pay for each app and they try to keep their costs down.  Found that last point very interesting.  We'll see if it works out that way.

Anyway, back to seedling status with only the CSP as a card I would like to get with hopefully enough CL to bring my freedom CL over $10K.  Not going to worry about it in the near future, so letting the seedlings start growing again as of this afternoon.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Double Approval Today

@BigBS wrote:

So, yesterday got some good news about my credit score cresting 800 and thought about leaving the garden to app for the FIA AMEX, but held off and slept on it.  Woke up this morning and after doing some research (forum search) and seeing the impact on my AAoA (would reduce by about a half year, but still be over 10 yrs.) decided why not. 

Got a little hesitant on the FIA AMEX and merely opened the Fidelity Cash Management account that I had already intended to do and in the process opened the Fidelity Account.  At that point decided there was no turning back and called in the app for the AMEX, took about 15 minutes to complete everything and was approved for $16K.  The only thing I didn't do was link my CMA with the credit card and now will have to wait until the card arrives in a couple weeks.

Having read 09Lexie's app thread and other posts of being approved for the Merrill Lynch + VS card figured what did I have to lose.  Took a little bit of time to find the right number, but eventually called in the app and got the 30 day message from the lady that took my application.  Given my knowledge from the forum, hung up the phone with her and immediately called the FIA/BoA accoutn services number and talked with Eric for a few minutes.  He verified my personal information and asked me questions about how much money I planned to invest with Merrill.  He then said I had an excellent payment history with BoA asked what I planned to use the card for?  I told him I planned to use it for travel.  He replied that since I have a BoA BBR card ($15K) and now a FIA AMEX card ($16K) he could only approve me for $10K on the Merrill+.  (There is definitely an internal limit with BoA)  His next statement was very surprising to me as he asked me if that was enough or was I looking for more.  I told him I was really looking for $15K and he asked what my liquid assets were and after my response he happily approved me for $15K. 

I asked 2 followon questions out of curiosity.  First, I asked if I wanted to increase my limits on any of my cards how long before I could ask for a CLI?  He said that given the total amount that I have been given between the 3 cards I would first need to move CLs.  He added that I could ask at any time with another pull (more on that in a minute), but he could see that the most I had used on the BBR was ~$2500, so felt unlikely they would approve more.  My second question was whether or not the application for both cards would be 1 or 2 HPs.  He replied that since they were in such close proximity (about an hour for both apps) they would be only one since they have to pay for each app and they try to keep their costs down.  Found that last point very interesting.  We'll see if it works out that way.

Anyway, back to seedling status with only the CSP as a card I would like to get with hopefully enough CL to bring my freedom CL over $10K.  Not going to worry about it in the near future, so letting the seedlings start growing again as of this afternoon.

Congrats.  IME, they HPd me once on EX and SPd me twice.  My initial lines were $10k each.  Last month, I requested a CLI on Merrill+ and got it bumped to $25k .  I do not have any other cc's with BoA so perhaps I haven't reached my internal limit.  

I doubt I'll be asking for more anytime soon.  

Message 2 of 31
BigBS
Senior Contributor

I'm not asking for more either, Lexie.  If they happen to give me an auto-CLI I won't complain, but truly don't think it would be worth it for me to ask.

I did find it interesting when the lady that took the Merrill+ app told me that they needed more time to approve/deny, she said I could go ahead and submit for a BT.  I asked her why in the world would I want to do that for a card I hadn't been approved for and her response was just to have it in the file to execute if I was approved.  Not unlike what you put on an electronic application I suppose, but seemed strange coming from her at that time.

Message 3 of 31
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on your approvals!  Hopefully it is in fact just 1 hp.  Good info from your call with the analyst too.

Message 4 of 31
yyyyy

BigBS Congrats did you check the Merrill + 25000 points and Fidelity Amex $75  sign up bonuses?

Message 5 of 31
BigBS
Senior Contributor

@yyyyy wrote:

BigBS Congrats did you check the Merrill + 25000 points and Fidelity Amex $75  sign up bonuses?

09Lexie  How long you have Merrill + ? Is it HP or SP for CLI?

I will get both of those bonuses if I meet the spend requirement.

Message 6 of 31
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@yyyyy wrote:

09Lexie  How long you have Merrill + ? Is it HP or SP for CLI?

Apped for both on 12/27- almost 4 months. 

Message 7 of 31
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@BigBS wrote:

Congrats on your approvals Smiley Happy

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! As a point of info (you may already be aware) USAA WMC can be converted to a chip & pin (not signature).
Message 9 of 31
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Wade!  Hoping to join you with the 830 scores shortly.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.