tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First Premier...DO I

@distantarray wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@annielorie wrote:

I know Im in a catch 22 Amex hates first premier cardholders but Im afraid about the current administration in govt making changes to dodd frank and backdating being illegal I wonder if I get on as an AU on dads card now then try for backdate then apply in 6 months thoughts?

I think this idea that Amex won't approve you with a First Premier showing on your reports is overblown. I was approved for an Amex Green with two -- count 'em, two! -- First Premier cards showing on my reports. I'm sure that Amex looks at a lot of factors when deciding upon approvals, and having a FP is not automatic grounds for denial, if indeed it factors into their decision making process at all.

I never got approved with good scores with first premier on the reports, They stated First Premier as a reason -_-;

They specifically stated First Premier? How did they inform you of that; surely they didn't state First Premier by name directly on the denial letter, did they?

Well, if that's the case, then it still is very much a YMMV sort of thing. As I stated, I was approved with two FP cards on my reports. (Two FP cards -- what was I thinking!!! I've learned a lot since then, LOL!)

They quoted "Sub prime lenders" but besides HSBC  and Achieva (local CU) reporting they were the only ones  and we know those are ok =p

Interesting. I'd really love to know exactly how they make their decisions -- would love to look at and analyze the algorithm! -- as it really seems like a crapshoot at times. I was approved with nothing BUT subprime lenders on my reports: Cap1, First Premier, Orchard; closed accounts with First Premier, Emerge, Applied Bank and SST. That and Kay, JC Penney and Dillards. Subprime and store cards as far as the eye could see... and I was approved for a Green. Go figure.

Anyway, I would urge the OP to try even with the FP on the reports. There must be a wide variety of factors that Amex takes into account and I wouldn't worry about which lenders you're showing.  It's worth a shot to get in by the end of the year and establish the member date.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 11 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@tinuviel wrote:

@annielorie wrote:

I know Im in a catch 22 Amex hates first premier cardholders but Im afraid about the current administration in govt making changes to dodd frank and backdating being illegal I wonder if I get on as an AU on dads card now then try for backdate then apply in 6 months thoughts?

I think this idea that Amex won't approve you with a First Premier showing on your reports is overblown. I was approved for an Amex Green with two -- count 'em, two! -- First Premier cards showing on my reports. I'm sure that Amex looks at a lot of factors when deciding upon approvals, and having a FP is not automatic grounds for denial, if indeed it factors into their decision making process at all.

I never got approved with good scores with first premier on the reports, They stated First Premier as a reason -_-;

They specifically stated First Premier? How did they inform you of that; surely they didn't state First Premier by name directly on the denial letter, did they?

Well, if that's the case, then it still is very much a YMMV sort of thing. As I stated, I was approved with two FP cards on my reports. (Two FP cards -- what was I thinking!!! I've learned a lot since then, LOL!)

They quoted "Sub prime lenders" but besides HSBC  and Achieva (local CU) reporting they were the only ones  and we know those are ok =p

Interesting. I'd really love to know exactly how they make their decisions -- would love to look at and analyze the algorithm! -- as it really seems like a crapshoot at times. I was approved with nothing BUT subprime lenders on my reports: Cap1, First Premier, Orchard; closed accounts with First Premier, Emerge, Applied Bank and SST. That and Kay, JC Penney and Dillards. Subprime and store cards as far as the eye could see... and I was approved for a Green. Go figure.

Anyway, I would urge the OP to try even with the FP on the reports. There must be a wide variety of factors that Amex takes into account and I wouldn't worry about which lenders you're showing.  It's worth a shot to get in by the end of the year and establish the member date.

I believe the sub prime hit has less effect if you've had the cards established over a year and in good standing. You have to start somewhere.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 12 of 19
distantarray
Established Contributor

i had them for 5 years at the time, but probably went to an underwritter it could be a ymmv situation. Depends who looked at your account etc.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 13 of 19
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I dont feel that I cant get Amex with !st premier open only that it seems frowned upon.  Want to get my utility down before I pull trigger and the 4 new cards reporting at least 6 months. Not sure of actual scores right now but when I get utility to lowest one card 9% less then Ill get fico scores to see where I am at. Keep everybody posted.

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 14 of 19
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I believe the sub prime hit has less effect if you've had the cards established over a year and in good standing. You have to start somewhere.

We are talking about card that is aimed for bad credit (where default rate is as high as 50%, hence high APR from 36.00 to 79.99%) like First Premier, not for those who begins credit journey (thin file, little to no credit history).

Message 15 of 19
Sparkz1920
Frequent Contributor

@tinuviel wrote:

@annielorie wrote:

I got approved with a FP....That i still have....Green and Skymiles

Also have a Creditone and a 1ST Nat'l Credit card on my reports/ Got these AMEX cards in the last 3 months.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 670
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

NFCU Rewards- 8K......AMEX Delta Skymiles-5k.....Citi AAdvantage AMEX-3.5K...WalMart Discover-4K....Old Navy Visa-2k...BOA-3000...AMEX Green-NPSL....Discover More-1K
Message 16 of 19
Madman94044
Regular Contributor

I got approved for an Amex with FP showing. I closed both FP and orchard last month when their annual fees hit.
Staring Score:EQ 649 TU 647 EX 644
Current Score: EQ 786 TU 699 EX 746
Goal Score: 800
Wallet: SF Fire CU $5000 CL Chase Freedom 4000 CL, Chase MP $5000, WellsFargo $6000 CL, Amex Gold NPSL, Cap1 CashRewards $2500 CL, Amex BCP $12000 Discover More $1200 CSP 18000
Message 17 of 19
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@annielorie wrote:

link please? 

would this effect people already backdated or just new backdaters? hmmm 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 18 of 19
annielorie
Valued Contributor

No link but many of these things are talked about in the last six months. prior backdating would most likely not be effected.  I was just stating that it seems that there will be more regulation re credit files, if I was a person on the mend or building from thin file Id be at Mach speed.  Only time will tell.

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.