Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gap Visa Approval and Unexpected CL!

tag
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

Gap Visa Approval and Unexpected CL!

Despite some misgivings around here about store cards in general and the Gap/BN/ON CCs in particular, I decided to app for it this past weekend while doing some holiday shopping. The in-store app process was super quick and easy, and in no time I was approved for the Gap Visa! I was more than happy to stack the 25% discount on top off the specials that day and also proceeded to make a few purchases (with another coupon!) at Banana Republic with my new account.

In addition to still being happy with my purchases (which is good sign), I got another pleasant surprise when I logged in to CK today. The day of, the person gave me a printout saying my CL was $1,000, which I found perfectly reasonable. Apparently though the new account just started reporting to the CBs, and CK has my CL at $2,400!  Granted I haven't actually recieved the card yet and need to verify the CL, this still made my day. I know a $2,400 starting CL isn't much to a lot of people on here, but as someone who's only really gotten into the credit game relatively recently (~10 months), this is pretty big. I can only hope that the general wisdom regarding generous CLIs from GE holds true as well.

On the whole, if this is any indicator of how my relationship with GECRB/Gap will be, I couldn't be happier. Relatively easy approval, quasi-guaranteed TU puller, 5% back at Gap and partner stores, coupons and store specials up the wazoo, periodic 2x and 3x points on out-of-network spending--really what's not to like?

I just have to make sure I PIF every month and don't go crazy with the after-Christmas spending. Smiley Very Happy

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
toppers555
Established Contributor

Re: Gap Visa Approval and Unexpected CL!

Congrats

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 2 of 8
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Nice CL, Congrats!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 3 of 8
MYCherie
Regular Contributor

Congrats! I as well hope GE is generous to me in 2 months!!

Starting: 563 | Current: 646 | Goal: 750.
Garden 09/24/2013

Message 4 of 8
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Thats great!! My sister has AMERICAN EAGLE CC, OLDNAVY CC, AND MACYS. Good things about hese cards is that you can Upgrade AE and ON to Visa once you qualify, and you can convert your macys into an amex. Lucky for you you got the VISA right away! Congrats!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 5 of 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

CONGRATS!!

Thats actually not a bad CL to start with GE, they usually give very nice CLI's.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congrats! Sometimes when you're approved in store, you get a temp CL, which is probably what the $1k was. The $2400 is likely your true CL. GEMB is known to be super-fast as reporting new CCs to the CRAs.

Definitely keep in mind CLIs, but it seems they don't CLI their visas like they do the store cards every 4 mos. Still GEMB is generous with CLIs, so i wouldn't be surprised if you were at $4k in 6 mos. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 8
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Well congrats, after reading this thread I might even want the Macy's card at some point to get the Amex aspect of it.  Does anyone know if they approve for an Amex right away or do you have to build to it?

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.