Did you mean: 

I said 'NO" to a Visa

tag
d170
Regular Contributor

Re: Another Update (I've been bad) Re: I said 'NO" to a Visa

@gamegrrl wrote:

Well I thank you all for not shaming me! Smiley Wink

And now I will share with you why I don't drink or gamble: I have an addictive personality. VERY addictive. That said, I have been a bad, bad, BAD grrl.  Smiley Sad

I got such a rush from getting the PNV Flex Visa that I was literally tingling as I hopped in my car to run errands. I had to return an item at Costco, and as I was standing at the Customer Service desk, there were people next to me filling out the form for an Amex card. The demons in my financial soul started poking me with their sharp little pitchforks...

One of the very few things I don't like about Costco is that I have to use my bank debit card there because I don't have an Amex card. Annoying. Mr Gamegrrl and I maintain a joint account just so that he can go shopping at Costco for us (I rarely go myself). We look at the shopping list, then I move an appropriate amount of money from my primary checking account to the joint account, then return any overage back to my account once he gets home. Like I said: Annoying.

I've considered getting a Costco Amex for a couple of years now, but I've been so afraid to even apply that I've never pulled the trigger. It always seemed to me as though it was an elite card, of sorts, and I guess I've never felt I was worthy.

Well today, with the PNC Flex adrenaline flowing through my veins and my unusual feeling of financial power, I did it. I returned my item, and then I said, "I'd like to apply for the Amex card, please." I thought I was going to throw up after I said that. LOL!

Instantly approved for the TrueEarnings Card with a $15,600 limit. GO ME!

When I got home, I figured if I was going to ask for any CLIs on any of my remaining cards, now was the time to do it before the Amex HP hit my reports. Within about 30 minutes, I had CLIs on my Amazon Visa (don't recall the increase) SP, Giant Eagle (a Comenity card) $1,150 SP, and my Citibank Best Buy card $7,000 HP.

I am weak. I am an addict. But I am DONE DONE DONE. In the past few days, I have added a couple of tradelines and increased others to the tune of $58,400 in new credit.

So I guess now I deserve that shaming that so gratefully dodged earlier, eh?

Congrats on the card/increases!  And sorry if I sounded mean on my post. 

At at least you know and can admit to having an addictive personality. Pretty bass as$ to be able to acknowledge and admit. Now, get to the garden. Lol. 

Time to Garden!!
EQ 703 TU 752 EX 711 as of 07/19/2014. In the garden until 01/19/2015. Baby steps, baby steps!! Trying for 750 ACROSS THE BOARD.
Message 31 of 47
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Wow!!  Congrats!!

Oh yeah, and shame on you!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 32 of 47
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Very Happy Oh yes! I've been a very, VERY bad grrl... 

Sounds like a scene from a cheezy bow-chicka-bow-wow movie from the '70s. Hahahahaha!

Yeah, I'm dragging all my stuff into the garden, and I swear that is where I will stay until some truly compelling reason lures me out. And seriously: I cannot think of ANY reason for more cards or credit at all. None.

If you see me trying to slip through the back gate, a quick "And where do you think YOU'RE going, missy?" will get me back where I belong.

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 33 of 47
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@gamegrrl wrote:

Well I thank you all for not shaming me! Smiley Wink

And now I will share with you why I don't drink or gamble: I have an addictive personality. VERY addictive. That said, I have been a bad, bad, BAD grrl.  Smiley Sad

I got such a rush from getting the PNV Flex Visa that I was literally tingling as I hopped in my car to run errands. I had to return an item at Costco, and as I was standing at the Customer Service desk, there were people next to me filling out the form for an Amex card. The demons in my financial soul started poking me with their sharp little pitchforks...

One of the very few things I don't like about Costco is that I have to use my bank debit card there because I don't have an Amex card. Annoying. Mr Gamegrrl and I maintain a joint account just so that he can go shopping at Costco for us (I rarely go myself). We look at the shopping list, then I move an appropriate amount of money from my primary checking account to the joint account, then return any overage back to my account once he gets home. Like I said: Annoying.

I've considered getting a Costco Amex for a couple of years now, but I've been so afraid to even apply that I've never pulled the trigger. It always seemed to me as though it was an elite card, of sorts, and I guess I've never felt I was worthy.

Well today, with the PNC Flex adrenaline flowing through my veins and my unusual feeling of financial power, I did it. I returned my item, and then I said, "I'd like to apply for the Amex card, please." I thought I was going to throw up after I said that. LOL!

Instantly approved for the TrueEarnings Card with a $15,600 limit. GO ME!

When I got home, I figured if I was going to ask for any CLIs on any of my remaining cards, now was the time to do it before the Amex HP hit my reports. Within about 30 minutes, I had CLIs on my Amazon Visa (don't recall the increase) SP, Giant Eagle (a Comenity card) $1,150 SP, and my Citibank Best Buy card $7,000 HP.

I am weak. I am an addict. But I am DONE DONE DONE. In the past few days, I have added a couple of tradelines and increased others to the tune of $58,400 in new credit.

So I guess now I deserve that shaming that so gratefully dodged earlier, eh?

TBH I would rather get any Amex card but the True earnings one ... The CB options are nice but I hate the card because A) that card will be canceled should you decide to never shop at Cosctco again and B) The Cashback is in a form of a check to use at Costco. 

I usually use my Amex BCE or Everyday card. but other then that Congrats on the Card though Smiley Very Happy

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 34 of 47
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

Re: I said 'NO" to a Visa

@gamegrrl wrote:

So I'm on the phone with PNC, upgrading my plain old checking account to a Virtual Wallet. I only have this checking account because having it and making automatic payments on my PNC HELOC from it saves me a bit on my HELOC interest rate. A $7 monthly service charge started last month, and by switching to Virtual Wallet, I will be able to avoid any service fees at all (since everything I do with the account is electronic).

The guy is taking my info and such, and he says, "If you would like, you can provide your income to see if we have any credit card offers for you." I said, would this involve a hard pull? When he said no, I figured why not, and gave him my income figure.

Moments later, he offered me a PNC Visa with a $16K limit. No annual fee, but the post-introductory (0% for 12 billing cycles) rate was 11%. So I said "No thank you".

The reason this is noteworthy is that MyFICO has guided me from a point where I was LUCKY to have a $300 secured CapitalOne card to where I am now: Thinking nothing of turning down a major credit card with a nice credit line at an interest rate that I couldn't even hope for a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong: It sure as heck felt great to get that offer! But it felt even better to say, "No thank you. I don't need it."

Oh, and he was telling me that I could transfer all my other balances to this card to take advantage of the 0% while I pay them down. "Sorry" said I, "but I don't carry any balances on my cards." Go me :-D

My $25K NFCU Signature Visa at 9.65% is an awful hard act to follow.

Thank you, MyFICO, for helping me to improve my life.

Same thing here. I went to Suntrust few days ago, made a large deposit; the lady printed out re receipt then she said, Mr XXX you've been approved for acredit card I replied, NO THANKS.

I only want to have a checking account (NOTHING ELSE) with Suntrust, and that was the mean reason of saying NO to the offer.

But, it sure's a nice feeling when you say "NO THANK YOU".

Message 35 of 47
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Its kind of like having a store card for a place you shop frequently... Esp if you buy gas at Costco... having their amex is almost a necessity... No cash, and it saves some time at the pump.. That said.. you went for the long pass and scored =). Frankly I would have done the same thing as the OP... probably said no thanks.. thought about it a minute, then called them back and taken up the offer... the PNC offer was a good offer... But off to the garden with the OP... Just be careful of the neighbors.. we still havent figured out how to keep C.A. in the garden.... The thing i could see coming out of the garden for is for a 0% offer on medical (I.e. Carecredit .. though *eugh*)... or for funding a major purchase or disaster (car repair, major appliances, etc)

Message 36 of 47
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Its kind of like having a store card for a place you shop frequently... Esp if you buy gas at Costco... having their amex is almost a necessity... No cash, and it saves some time at the pump.. That said.. you went for the long pass and scored =). Frankly I would have done the same thing as the OP... probably said no thanks.. thought about it a minute, then called them back and taken up the offer... the PNC offer was a good offer... But off to the garden with the OP... Just be careful of the neighbors.. we still havent figured out how to keep C.A. in the garden.... The thing i could see coming out of the garden for is for a 0% offer on medical (I.e. Carecredit .. though *eugh*)... or for funding a major purchase or disaster (car repair, major appliances, etc)

You can use any Amex card in Costco ... A card that has an AF which is the Costco membership fee and a card that would be cancled should you decide on stop shopping there is a bad card imo unless you know you will shop there forever. I also don't like it because it requires to use CB at Costco and they don't give you the option to use it elsewhere like any other CB card.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 37 of 47
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

You can use any Amex card in Costco ... A card that has an AF which is the Costco membership fee and a card that would be cancled should you decide on stop shopping there is a bad card imo unless you know you will shop there forever. I also don't like it because it requires to use CB at Costco and they don't give you the option to use it elsewhere like any other CB card.

Actually, you can take the CB certificate to any register at Costco and simply get the cash paid out to you (no purchase necessary).  I have done exactly this.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 38 of 47
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Re: I said 'NO" to a Visa

gamegrrl, congrats on your approvals - very well done!!  Oh, and remember to ask for a 3x CLI on your new Costco Amex in 61 days.  As CA says, they will counter if they can't give you the full 3x CLI!  Smiley Happy

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 39 of 47
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

WoWWW... this is great.......what an astonishing climb and inspiration for all credit rebuilders and builders...Thanks for sharing your wonderful time....

Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.