cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My experience with PenFed (to be continued)

tag
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

My experience with PenFed (to be continued)

After joining this forum I heard about Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PenFed).

I notice they offer low rate/no fee credit cards and a personal line of credit (PLOC). This was a week or so ago, maybe a week and a half.

I was thinking if I should apply because I have plenty of credit cards already and the four PLOCs already. Plus in the past week I applied for credit line increases from a few cards and was approved, I also applied for a few credit cards, and got approved. I also applied for a Citi PLOC and got approved.

So was thinking, why do I need a PenFed PLOC and CC. I don't.

I figure I did enough damage to my FICO with all the CL increases and CC and PLOC applications.

I couldn't resist their low rates and no fees, but was thinking, I read on here PenFed is very conservative, if I apply they might reject me, for "too many inquiries" given the recent past of my applications. Should I take the risk.

I did.

I joined by paying a contribution to some charity on their website, opened a savings with $5.

Then I opened a classic checking over the phone, since it wouldn't let me online.

Minimum $25 to open, but $500 to avoid fees. So I asked them to charge my AMEX for $600 for the checking . . . I just found out my card declined it according to them, but when I called AMEX they said nothing was declined. (Starting to think PenFed doesn't have their act together). I called them and they said to mail a check in, so this morning I mailed in a check for $700.

That same night I applied for a CC (Promise CC version) and their PLOC. I asked for $25,000 for PLOC, their max.

A day or so later I for a phone call from PenFed, a nice lady asked me some questions verifying my ID and confirming some application information such as what's the source of my "other income" in addition to primary income

Then she asked "Do you need both a credit card and a line of credit?"

I replied "Technically I don't need either because I have enough open credit lines but what I am looking for is a more competitive rate than what I have now for my tradelines"

She said "Ok, I see . . . that's all the information I need, thank you" and hangs up.

A few hours later I received an email asking me to send in pay stubs. The only other ifnancial institutions that asked for this is my other credit union when applying for their PLOC and Wells Fargo for their PLOC (and Wells Fargo also asked for tax returns). 

I thought to myself, I guess PenFed is conservative after all like people are saying. So I scan them and email them in.

A few days later I get an email asking for Notarized copies of my driver's license, utility bill and social security card. So I need to jump through these hoops. I for the notary stamp for all docs, and scanned and emailed them in, this was yesterday and today.

So the ball's in their court now to approve or reject me.

The PenFed website still says "Pending" for both my CC and PLOC applications.

I'll keep you posted.

(I have top tier credit, 898 VantageScore out of 990, 817 FICO out of 850 using Discover's website)

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: My experience with PenFed (to be continued)

Most CU want income verification, not all but most. Goodluck PenFed is very conservative especially if you have acquired new credit.
Message 2 of 24
Involver
Valued Contributor

Just got a 10k Visa and 10k LOC with them. Had to verify income for the LOC (which I apped second) but not the CC. I was surprised how lenient they were with me considering my # of new accounts within 6 months.
Message 3 of 24
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

After joining this forum I heard about Pentagon Federal Credit Union (PenFed).

I notice they offer low rate/no fee credit cards and a personal line of credit (PLOC). This was a week or so ago, maybe a week and a half.

I was thinking if I should apply because I have plenty of credit cards already and the four PLOCs already. Plus in the past week I applied for credit line increases from a few cards and was approved, I also applied for a few credit cards, and got approved. I also applied for a Citi PLOC and got approved.

So was thinking, why do I need a PenFed PLOC and CC. I don't.

I figure I did enough damage to my FICO with all the CL increases and CC and PLOC applications.

I couldn't resist their low rates and no fees, but was thinking, I read on here PenFed is very conservative, if I apply they might reject me, for "too many inquiries" given the recent past of my applications. Should I take the risk.

I did.

I joined by paying a contribution to some charity on their website, opened a savings with $5.

Then I opened a classic checking over the phone, since it wouldn't let me online.

Minimum $25 to open, but $500 to avoid fees. So I asked them to charge my AMEX for $600 for the checking . . . I just found out my card declined it according to them, but when I called AMEX they said nothing was declined. (Starting to think PenFed doesn't have their act together). I called them and they said to mail a check in, so this morning I mailed in a check for $700.

That same night I applied for a CC (Promise CC version) and their PLOC. I asked for $25,000 for PLOC, their max.

A day or so later I for a phone call from PenFed, a nice lady asked me some questions verifying my ID and confirming some application information such as what's the source of my "other income" in addition to primary income

Then she asked "Do you need both a credit card and a line of credit?"

I replied "Technically I don't need either because I have enough open credit lines but what I am looking for is a more competitive rate than what I have now for my tradelines"

She said "Ok, I see . . . that's all the information I need, thank you" and hangs up.

A few hours later I received an email asking me to send in pay stubs. The only other ifnancial institutions that asked for this is my other credit union when applying for their PLOC and Wells Fargo for their PLOC (and Wells Fargo also asked for tax returns). 

I thought to myself, I guess PenFed is conservative after all like people are saying. So I scan them and email them in.

A few days later I get an email asking for Notarized copies of my driver's license, utility bill and social security card. So I need to jump through these hoops. I for the notary stamp for all docs, and scanned and emailed them in, this was yesterday and today.

So the ball's in their court now to approve or reject me.

The PenFed website still says "Pending" for both my CC and PLOC applications.

I'll keep you posted.

(I have top tier credit, 898 VantageScore out of 990, 817 FICO out of 850 using Discover's website)

^^^^

The PenFed Promise credit application just got approved:

Summary

PenFed Promise Application
Congratulations, your application has been approved.

Credit Limit: $5,000
Message 4 of 24
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your approval Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 24
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!  Did you get an "instant" decision online prior to submitting all the paperwork?  Just curious if they knocked it down, honored the computer limit or got pending status?

Message 6 of 24
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Congrats!  Did you get an "instant" decision online prior to submitting all the paperwork?  Just curious if they knocked it down, honored the computer limit or got pending status?

^^^

No instant approval, I got the "pending" and they contacted me to submit pay stubs and Notarized Driver license, utility bill and social security card.

I'm still waiting for the personal line of credit as it still says "Pending" as I just checked.

Message 7 of 24
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@B335is wrote:

^^^

No instant approval, I got the "pending" and they contacted me to submit pay stubs and Notarized Driver license, utility bill and social security card.

I'm still waiting for the personal line of credit as it still says "Pending" as I just checked.

They processed your app pretty quick.  Back when I applied I got an instant online decision of like $10k or something, then went to pending status for 10 days until an analyst denied for the famous pyramids.

Congrats again on getting in - they're tough.

Message 8 of 24
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

@B335is wrote:

^^^

They processed your app pretty quick.  Back when I applied I got an instant online decision of like $10k or something, then went to pending status for 10 days until an analyst denied for the famous pyramids.

Congrats again on getting in - they're tough.

^^^^

Result of PenFed Personal Line of Credit:

"TURNED DOWN 04/16/2014"

So they approve me for $5,000 CC but turned me down for PLOC.

I'm thinking of calling them tomorrow to reconsider and offer that I lower my $5,000 CC to $2,000 for $3,000 in PLOC...what do you guys think?

---

I also emailed Penfed this, to follow up tomorrow:

I was recently approved for a PenFed Promise credit card Application but was turned down for a PenFed Personal Line Of Credit Application . 

I would like to respectfully request a reconsideration of my Personal Line of Credit Application given my very exceptional credit history of never missing any payment or late with any payment since 1991 when I became an adult at age 18. 

I am willing to lower my approved PenFed credit card limit from $5,000 to something lower PenFed feels comfortable with to be reconsidered for the Personal Line of Credit application to get it approved as well. 

(Attached are my supporting documents of pay stubs and the requested notarized ID documents)

Thank you for your reconsideration. 

Message 9 of 24
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! (I'm not sure about a PLOC? Aren't those usually high interest rates?)
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.