Established Member
LishaJoy

Navy FCU Approval!!!

[ Edited ]

WOW!  I have been reading this site for a while and taking baby steps to boost my credit score.  I now have to just wait for a couple of more baddies to fall off and have been able to get some credit cards with some decent credit lines. Barclay 3300.  RBFCU 2000.  Capital One 1500.  Yesterday I signed up to bank with Navy FCU.  I am prior military, receive VA disability and also currently work in the federal service.  I was disappointed to find out today that I got a hard inq from Navy for opening the bank account. 

Today I noticed that my new banking account said that I was "pre-selected" for their cash rewards card.  Since I already had the hard inq, I figured, why not, right?  Well I got an instant message that I was approved!!  Credit line $16,000!!!!!!!  I almost fell outta my chair!  :smileyhappy:  I sure you can tell that I am super excited about this credit line!  I don't plan on using it but just the ability to boost my score a little (I hope) and the higher credit line.   Now time to wait and garden!  In about 2 more years all baddies should be off. There is a light at the end of my tunnel for sure now.

Many thanks to those who post useful information often.  I don't think I would have ever considered Navy if I hadn't found this site.

Regular Contributor
Whereis750

Re: Navy FCU Approval!!!

That's great news!!!  So happy for you.  I'm about to join Navy FCU too.  May I ask, did you open a savings and a checking account?  Also, what type of negatives are on your reports?  Did you have to give them incom verification?  Are you high income?

That's a really great credit limit!

Senior Contributor
bichonmom

[ Edited ]
Congrats! The inq was probably to join. They don't HP to open a ckg acct once you're a member. However, expect to see a second HP for your cc app, even though you were "pre-selected." They do HPs for every credit product separately and for joining. Unfortunately they don't use the same HP for a certain amt of time like other CUs do.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Established Member
LishaJoy

[ Edited ]

Thanks Whereis750!  I have a 3 chargeoffs from previous credit cards.  All paid not but still showing as a chargeoff. :smileysad:  They are all 5 or more years old.  I also have one 30 day late that should fall off in Aug of this year and a 30 -60 day late that should fall off early next year.  I have not missed a payment since my mishaps! (proud) :smileyhappy:

My income is right at $90,000 a yr.  They did not perform income verification either.  That surprised me because I had to do that with RBFCU when I appd for their credit card.  I opened both a checking and a savings with only the minimum opening amount of 5 bucks plus 10 more.  I was going to change my direct deposit to Randolph-Brooks FCU to go in for a CLI and to make me look more marketable to them in a few months but now I think I just may change one of my direct deposits to Navy instead!  They have surely earned that much I guess.

Established Member
LishaJoy

Another inq!?  Ugh!  I guess I have to take the good with the bad!  That sucks though.

Established Contributor
searchingfor67

LishaJoy wrote:

WOW!  I have been reading this site for a while and taking baby steps to boost my credit score.  I now have to just wait for a couple of more baddies to fall off and have been able to get some credit cards with some decent credit lines. Barclay 3300.  RBFCU 2000.  Capital One 1500.  Yesterday I signed up to bank with Navy FCU.  I am prior military, receive VA disability and also currently work in the federal service.  I was disappointed to find out today that I got a hard inq from Navy for opening the bank account. 

Today I noticed that my new banking account said that I was "pre-selected" for their cash rewards card.  Since I already had the hard inq, I figured, why not, right?  Well I got an instant message that I was approved!!  Credit line $16,000!!!!!!!  I almost fell outta my chair!  :smileyhappy:  I sure you can tell that I am super excited about this credit line!  I don't plan on using it but just the ability to boost my score a little (I hope) and the higher credit line.   Now time to wait and garden!  In about 2 more years all baddies should be off. There is a light at the end of my tunnel for sure now.

Many thanks to those who post useful information often.  I don't think I would have ever considered Navy if I hadn't found this site.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Congrats!!!

Congrats!!!

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCP $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $10.1K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Discover IT $9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU Flagship Visa Signature $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $10K | USAA World MC $9K
Regular Contributor
Whereis750

Thanks for the info.  I too bank with RBFCU – but am considering moving everything over to Navy (checking, savings, direct deposits).  May I ask what your scores were at the time of apping for the CC with Navy?

New Contributor
SlabOfBacon

That's pretty cool! I'm hoping to go that route. If they give me a card with a decent limit, I will happily close almost all of my other cards! :-)

May I ask what your ballpark scores were?

I applied online with NFCU (I'm overseas now) and got a "Your Navy Federal membership application was successfully submitted and is currently under review" email - that was on May 12th. I will give them a few more days before I start to worry. lol. 

Creditkeeper 6/12
TU: 678
EQ: 665
EX: 673
Walmart FICO: 680 (6/12)
Established Member
LishaJoy

They checked TU only.  I am in TX and my FICO score is a 670.  I am still shocked!  

New Contributor
SlabOfBacon

That's great! Thanks for the info! That's the same ballpark that I should be in soon. Going to have to give it a try after they open an account for me. Yay! :smileyvery-happy:

Creditkeeper 6/12
TU: 678
EQ: 665
EX: 673
Walmart FICO: 680 (6/12)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+