cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nordstrom Retail Card Approvals & Quest about CLI (LONG READ)

tag
Golden75
Valued Member

Re: Nordstrom Retail Card Approvals & Quest about CLI (LONG READ)

@Creditaddict wrote:

why not check the pre-qual on citi website... and if you have an offer for the card you were thinking about anyway might be your sign to apply... if no offer, your sign to just wait for amex and get it backdated...

Remember even if Amex is only $2k, in just 61 days you can request 3x then current CL on Amex so could go up to $6k in just 61 days.... I bet you get more!

you can call tomorrow if you want to find out now though.

Ok.  Thanks for this tidbit, Creditaddict!  I just get so nervous.  I cannot believe after all of the hard work improving my credit the past several years is finally paying off.  I'm saving now with the hopes to purchase a home within the next 18 months or so.  I am just trying to get all of my credit scores up to 720 across the board.  My Equifax is 744, but the others are in the low 700s...so, to be continued...

Starting Score: EQU 584 EXP 568 TU 555
Current Score (as of 8-30-2014): EQU 710 EXP 709 TU 731
Goal Score: 750 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Golden75 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

why not check the pre-qual on citi website... and if you have an offer for the card you were thinking about anyway might be your sign to apply... if no offer, your sign to just wait for amex and get it backdated...

Remember even if Amex is only $2k, in just 61 days you can request 3x then current CL on Amex so could go up to $6k in just 61 days.... I bet you get more!

you can call tomorrow if you want to find out now though.

Ok.  Thanks for this tidbit, Creditaddict!  I just get so nervous.  I cannot believe after all of the hard work improving my credit the past several years is finally paying off.  I'm saving now with the hopes to purchase a home within the next 18 months or so.  I am just trying to get all of my credit scores up to 720 across the board.  My Equifax is 744, but the others are in the low 700s...so, to be continued...

Even more reason to go for that Citi now if you want to buy a house... Get the INQ's out of the way... Get the lower AAoA out of the way all together and all now!

Then when you apply for a mortgage you will have 0 INQ's and everything will be over a year old at youngest!

Message 12 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

For CLI with Nordstrom is after  6 mos or your 7 th statement.  They sp EX and they like heavy usage. 

Congrats on the Amex Approval. 

Message 13 of 20
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Hi OP,

Congrats on AMEX! 

Did you apply in store? I'm quite surprised you didn't get the siggy. You're in a great shape with your scores.

I was able to get a CLI from $1k to 5k and the siggy after 4 months of having the card. Obviously, I was turned down calling in but resorted to other, more "creative" ways of getting it (i.e., taking a trip down to Nordies corporate since I live in Seattle Smiley Happy ). My scores are not as strong as yours, but as Lexie alluded to, I had put decent money through the card and so they were willing to call in give it to me. Nordies is VERY customer focused, so whatever you ask for, within reason, they'll more likely comply. No need to be stuck with a retail card if you can help it.

Here is an option - it may or may not work.

Before the holiday gets really crazy I'd go to your nearest Nordstrom in the middle of the week if you can while it isn't so busy. You'll get much better mileage in person. Ask to speak to the manager directly. Express to him/her that you've been a long time Nordstrom customer and recently decided to, and was approved for the Nordstrom retail card. You would like to purchase all your Christmas gifts at Nordies this year. However, you would like to maximize your rewards potential with the visa signature option, especially since your other credit cards are offering retail rewards this month. Reiterate that your scores are considered "excellent" and perhaps there was some mishap with your application. Ask the manager if they would be willing to contact someone directly who could review your application since you suspect an error. The managers can directly access credit underwriting. The manager may or may not know about 'soft and hard' pulls, but make sure they reiterate to the CU to review your existing application and to not hard pull your report. If they award the siggy, which you have a good shot at, of course ask for it to be expidited.

Just to note - if you're approved for the siggy the store will probably say that you can purchase your items right then and there and add it to your account. Politely decline and say since this account can be used outside of Nordstrom I'd like to have the card physically in my posession before making transactions. 

Good luck and congrats again!

Message 14 of 20
Golden75
Valued Member

@09Lexie wrote:

For CLI with Nordstrom is after  6 mos or your 7 th statement.  They sp EX and they like heavy usage. 

I was bummed out because I was told that they usually only run Equifax which is my highest score so I thought I had a better chance with getting the Visa Sig card if this was the case. 

Message 15 of 20
Golden75
Valued Member

@eagle2013 wrote:

Hi OP,

Congrats on AMEX! 

Did you apply in store? I'm quite surprised you didn't get the siggy. You're in a great shape with your scores.

I was able to get a CLI from $1k to 5k and the siggy after 4 months of having the card. Obviously, I was turned down calling in but resorted to other, more "creative" ways of getting it (i.e., taking a trip down to Nordies corporate since I live in Seattle Smiley Happy ). My scores are not as strong as yours, but as Lexie alluded to, I had put decent money through the card and so they were willing to call in give it to me. Nordies is VERY customer focused, so whatever you ask for, within reason, they'll more likely comply. No need to be stuck with a retail card if you can help it.

Here is an option - it may or may not work.

Before the holiday gets really crazy I'd go to your nearest Nordstrom in the middle of the week if you can while it isn't so busy. You'll get much better mileage in person. Ask to speak to the manager directly. Express to him/her that you've been a long time Nordstrom customer and recently decided to, and was approved for the Nordstrom retail card. You would like to purchase all your Christmas gifts at Nordies this year. However, you would like to maximize your rewards potential with the visa signature option, especially since your other credit cards are offering retail rewards this month. Reiterate that your scores are considered "excellent" and perhaps there was some mishap with your application. Ask the manager if they would be willing to contact someone directly who could review your application since you suspect an error. The managers can directly access credit underwriting. The manager may or may not know about 'soft and hard' pulls, but make sure they reiterate to the CU to review your existing application and to not hard pull your report. If they award the siggy, which you have a good shot at, of course ask for it to be expidited.

Just to note - if you're approved for the siggy the store will probably say that you can purchase your items right then and there and add it to your account. Politely decline and say since this account can be used outside of Nordstrom I'd like to have the card physically in my posession before making transactions. 

Good luck and congrats again!

No, I did not apply in-store.  I applied online through Nordstrom's Web site.  I probably should have applied in store because I called my local Nordstrom's once and asked which credit bureau is pulled and I was told they would pull Equifax.

You might be on to something in terms of strategy with getting upgraded to a Nordstrom Visa Signature card.  I'm awaiting to receive my Nordies and AMEX cards.

Message 16 of 20
Golden75
Valued Member

I have not received my AMEX card yet.  However, I just called customer service and I was informed my CL is $2000.  I was really hoping for a higher CL.  Anyway, I will just use the card and strategically make payments.  Then, possibly request a CLI in a few months...or does anyone have any recommendations for a workaround with AMEX in order to be reconsidered for a larger amount.

Message 17 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Golden75 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

I was bummed out because I was told that they usually only run Equifax which is my highest score so I thought I had a better chance with getting the Visa Sig card if this was the case. 

They were pulling EQ but it changed to Ex earlier this year.  I know for sure they pulled EX in Sept

Message 18 of 20
24play

I can vouch that Lexie is correct -

Just was approved for the Nordstrom Visa Signature on 12/5/13, and it turned out to be a hard pull from EX.

Message 19 of 20
Golden75
Valued Member

Yes, Nordstrom pulled Experian for me which I applied online thinking Nordstrom would pull Equifax (highest score) based upon what I read on various credit boards previously and when I called my local Nordstrom store sever months ago.  However, my credit report reflect inquiries on my Experian Reports only. 

AMEX also used Experian.  There was a little mix up with me receiving my card.  AMEX had the wrong address (off by a number) and it was sent to the wrong location.  I might have mistyped when completing the app.  Anyway, thank goodness I called to inquire after not receiving it beyone 10 days.  Anyway, so far so good.  AMEX overnighted a replacement card to me free of charge (and I did not even ask).  So far so good as far as customer service.  In addition, I had a "green card" (first credit/charge card ever) almost 20 years ago that AMEX closed a few years ago.  AMEX automatically backdated my member date which will do wonders for my AAoA history.  I expect my credit score to increase based upon this alone.  Hopefully by 10 or more points.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.