Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure what I was thinking....

tag
Wonderyears
New Contributor

Not sure what I was thinking....

But I decided, now that I just purchased a home for my family in July, and a "new" work truck for myself, that I would try to upgrade my credit card file.

Here's the deal..

Finally got in position to app for a cc in Oct 2012. Wanted to get a few tradelines open (to position myself to purchase a home) as I had not had any since 2004! Cap 1 got me started, bless their heart. Thought I would have to go secured, but they gave me a platinum with a $39 AF with a credit line of $500. In Dec I app'd for a Walmart card(approved at $600!). I got excited and tried for a Chase (can not remember which one, denied) Citi Diamond preferred (approved @ $1600, wth!), and an Amex of which I can't remember - shot down. I was happy.

Kept uti below 10% while I worked on buying a home. My lender, because I was stretched regarding dti, forced me to close my Citi Diamond before closing in July, because I let the statement hit and the $25 min payment pushed me over my approvable DTI (although I always PIF, blah).

Fast forward to last week. Although my scores are hovering in the low 700's, inquiries are madly dotting up my reports from home and truck shopping. After my recent apps, I am over 30 inquiries on my TU report alone!

I did however, product change to the QuickSilver with the annual fee, increasing my credit limit to $1500, Chase Freedom approved me at $2000 as opposed to a denial a year ago, and Amex BCE approved me at...$500! It's a start! Also tried for the Barclays Arrival but they were definitely not having it.

Next step? Just garden? Would love some higher limits so I can run all my expenses through - advice on when I could ask for those, or how to go about it? Apparently there is a policy with Amex?

Just felt like ranting a bit tonight. Thanks for reading!

-T

myFico TU-715 EQ-778 (01.14.2013) WalmartTU-664 (12.12.12))

LENDER PULL EQ-766 EX-779 TU-713 (12.20.2012)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
aqualife
Valued Member

Re: Not sure what I was thinking....

Hi there, mind sharing your annual income and AAoA?
Message 2 of 9
aqualife
Valued Member

Btw, congrats on the recent approvals!
Message 3 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

At least Amex can be 3x cli at 61 days

you tried recon a couple times on Barclay?

Message 4 of 9
Wonderyears
New Contributor

Thanks!

My income is 80k/ yr. My AAoA is 8 years according to here in Oct. This doesn't take into account my mortgage, vehicle loan, or two newest revolving accts opened. However, none of these were reported when I most currently app'd to Chase and Amex(which are the 2 aforementioned newest revolving accts).

Message 5 of 9
Wonderyears
New Contributor

I did try recon with Barclay once, but was denied because of my inquiries. You say I can try again? I felt as though they were insulted I app'd with Chase and Amex, too!

Message 6 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Gardening is what it will take to recover from 30+ inquiries!  Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 9
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 8 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Wonderyears wrote:

I did try recon with Barclay once, but was denied because of my inquiries. You say I can try again? I felt as though they were insulted I app'd with Chase and Amex, too!

Yes you can recon 2.

start the call out that look you have a ton of INQ's but if you want to go through them 1 by 1 you will see only 2 are credit cards, the rest are auto and mortgage and I took all those INQ's to make sure I got the best rate because that is best for my long term financial goals just as getting this Barclay card now and building my relationship with you while these INQ's age off Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.