Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Approval Mar 4 2014

tag
mowheat73
Valued Member

PenFed Approval Mar 4 2014

I joined PenFed yesterday and after additional verification, I decided to apply for its Signature Visa Card.  Initially, I was denied because of between open accounts and outstanding balances.

I decided to call to speak to someone in underwriting because I just paid pretty much ALL my revolving debt down and clearly it must just being one of Equifax's algorithm errors.  After speaking with a rep that insisted that the credit denial was final, I requested to be transferred to the underwriting department.

After waiting several minutes, the gentleman returned to the line said that they received the documents from my identity verification, and the senior underwriting was able to approval my card for $5,000.  This is my highest credit card to date, and I honestly have worked so hard bouncing back from financial ruin after the 2005-6 financial disaster.   I pretty much lost everything, and I had to start all over again. 

I take pride in keeping my credit intact, and I want to thank all the individuals on this forum, who have shared his or her personal journeys in which help guide me through my own.

I am going into the garden for a while, at least until the new 2015 Hyundai Genesis come out.

Starting Score: USAA EX 570 EQ 574 TU 603
Current Vantage Score: USAA EX 657 EQ 672 TU 654
Fico 8: EX 672 EQ 744 TU 667
Goal Score: 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PenFed Approval Mar 4 2014

@mowheat73 wrote:

I joined PenFed yesterday and after additional verification, I decided to apply for its Signature Visa Card.  Initially, I was denied because of between open accounts and outstanding balances.

I decided to call to speak to someone in underwriting because I just paid pretty much ALL my revolving debt down and clearly it must just being one of Equifax's algorithm errors.  After speaking with a rep that insisted that the credit denial was final, I requested to be transferred to the underwriting department.

After waiting several minutes, the gentleman returned to the line said that they received the documents from my identity verification, and the senior underwriting was able to approval my card for $5,000.  This is my highest credit card to date, and I honestly have worked so hard bouncing back from financial ruin after the 2005-6 financial disaster.   I pretty much lost everything, and I had to start all over again. 

I take pride in keeping my credit intact, and I want to thank all the individuals on this forum, who have shared his or her personal journeys in which help guide me through my own.

I am going into the garden for a while, at least until the new 2015 Hyundai Genesis come out.

Congrats Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
BigBS
Senior Contributor

That's great news, congratulations!

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 3 of 8
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@mowheat73 wrote:

Congrats and welcome to the PenFed family Smiley Happy

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 4 of 8
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 5 of 8
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the successful PenFed application!

PenFed is a challenge... I am on the outside, but used my membership (without any loans) to help my wife get her auto loan refinanced.

Your scores make me wonder if they will consider offering me a preapproved offer soon since my credit score has rebounded.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 6 of 8
mowheat73
Valued Member

Yes, my Equifax went up slightly to 709.  However, I did have a lot of inquiries, and I thought that would have been the reason for denial.

It feels good that a bank will say yes, after so many no's!

Starting Score: USAA EX 570 EQ 574 TU 603
Current Vantage Score: USAA EX 657 EQ 672 TU 654
Fico 8: EX 672 EQ 744 TU 667
Goal Score: 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
sdwalt
Regular Contributor

Great job, Penfed is hard to crack.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.