Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Red - Recent approvals

tag
westo12
Established Contributor

Target Red - Recent approvals

Has anyone recently app'd for and received a Target Red with a score around 600?  Just curious.

Chap7 discharge 07/2015
Fico 5/1/19: TR:650(73% util)
Cap1(Plat+QS) 3500+4500/Merrick 1600/Express 4100/Overstock 4900.
Message 1 of 70
69 REPLIES 69
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Target Red - Recent approvals

You can try, but if you do it you will be a 200 CL won't help your UTL, I applied at 19% UTL and a 710 fico and still was given the 200 CL probably because of too much new credit and high INQ's had mine since january and no auto CLI's and they don't allow for user initiated CLI's if you really want the card app for it, but it won't help your credit file. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 70
CS800
Super Contributor

I recently got the RedCard with a CL of $500 with a TU98 close to 690

Message 3 of 70
rtw
Established Contributor

I've had my card since 2009 and have been stuck at $500. For the past 6 months I have been pif and no movement.

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 4 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking about applying also. Was in there tonight and jumped online to do it when I got home. Then I found that you have to do it in the store. It's only a few minutes from my house so I might stop by tomorrow. I tried last Oct and was denied. My score has gone up a lot since then. Currently in the mid to high 600s depending on the CB. I've been approved for 3 cards this week. I'm thinking I could be denied because of that, have a $200. CL or get lucky with $1k plus. Or, wait 6 months and apply when my scores crest 700. Better chance of starting with a higher limit. I'll see how I feel when I drive by the store.

Message 5 of 70
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I just sent them an email yesterday about increasing the CL on our Target Visa.. We are at $4000 currently.

Reply:

Hello Wife and I.

Thanks for asking about your limit!

Right now, we're not reviewing any Target REDcard® accounts for credit limit increases. 

If your account qualifies for a higher credit limit in the future, you will see changes on your monthly statement and online in Manage My REDcard. 

It was great hearing from you!

Sincerely,
Rep
Manage My REDcard

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 6 of 70
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

I just sent them an email yesterday about increasing the CL on our Target Visa.. We are at $4000 currently.

Reply:

Hello Wife and I.

Thanks for asking about your limit!

Right now, we're not reviewing any Target REDcard® accounts for credit limit increases. 

If your account qualifies for a higher credit limit in the future, you will see changes on your monthly statement and online in Manage My REDcard. 

It was great hearing from you!

Sincerely,
Rep
Manage My REDcard

They really suck. I think your current CL is the highest I've read on here. Anyone higher?

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 70
learnin113
Established Contributor

No limit, no movement card.  Mine is stuck at 1K for 3 years.  I think it's better to get the debit card, you will still get the only measly benefit the card has...5% discount on all purchases.

Message 8 of 70
Jlu
Established Contributor

^+1. Get the debit card. This is the only card I'm happy I DIDN'T get approved for. Thought 5% was a good deal while checking out in the store, applied and got 7-10 day message, went home and logged onto myfico forums and was so happy I wasn't approved.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 9 of 70
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

Just be careful in that the debit card isn't guaranteed to work for large purchases. Target has a ceiling of about $300 for paper check approvals until you have a good check-writing history with them. They treat the debit card the same way -- you have to use it a lot in small and large (but under $300) amounts before they will approve large purchases through it. This is because they withdraw from your checking account via ACH, which takes a few days and isn't an instant method of funds verification, so in essence using the debit card is like using a 1-2 day line of credit.

I've seen people approved for the debit card but immediately denied on their large purchase when trying to use it. Or if they applied as part of the purchase, they got the 7-10 day message and still received the card in the mail. I've also seen people overdraw their checking account because they weren't balancing it and looked at their online account statement to see how much money they had left, only to forget about the REDcard charges that hadn't shown up yet. Granted, these were generally people living paycheck to paycheck who obviously weren't holding any extra money in their checking account, but it should be a noted risk to look out for.

Message 10 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.