Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank you All! 3 for 3 not bad.. now time to give back

tag
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Thank you All! 3 for 3 not bad.. now time to give back

I am a newbie to posting but not a rookie to credit restoration.  Twenty years ago I had a credit card in high school when everyone else was still learning.  I had a $1500 cellphone when others were just starting to buy cordless phones at all.   By age 20 I had about 20 credit cards averaging $2500 limits.   And then my life came to a halt with personal and business debt skyrocketed. 

I made a personal decision not to file for BK.  And kept creditors away.  I learned to deal with creditors and learned a number of "secrets" along the way.

In 2010 I restarted my credit life with PREMIER credit cards.  Preapproved with $250 credit line and fees that ate up half the available credit line.  That's not counting the annual fee which comes to $6.25 per month even on a $0 balance.  

All these years I have learned to use debit cards responsibly and was one of the first people to sign up for the PayPal 1.5% cash rebate program in 2001.  I never had a reason to seek credit accounts all these years and have learned to pay for everything in cash.  The accasional inconveniences with car rentals and hotel bookings were offset by my PayPal debit mastercard + cashback.  

Over the past year ( thanks to info on myfico ) I managed to kickstart my scores from 617 to today's 700+ scores.  Granted it was not easy but nothing is impossible I have been told.  Smiley Happy 

Fast forward to this week I have made a consciouse decision to restart my credit ambition.   I called Premier to remove the AF and they refused with my 3 year perfect payment history.  So I said to myself it's time to  retire PREMIER.   

After reading every post on this board ( almost ) I want to thank everyone for teaching me new acronyms like BT ( balance transfer ).... BA ( balance allocation )....PC ( product change )...FR ( financial review )...... AA ( administrative action )...HP ( hard pull )...SP ( soft pull ).... INQ ( inquiries )....AAoA ( average age of account ) and yes.. GARDENING.

After perusing all the posts on this board it seems most reward programs are the same.  If I were not interested in rebuilding and restrengthening my credit using a PayPal 1.5% cashback on all purchases would be superior to almost all rewards programs.  No purchase category rotation..no expiration..no fear of paying the bill late.

So the goal for me is to find a rewards program that can beat Paypal while helping me to restrenghten my credit.  I explored all the ways to buy money orders to pay bills at the least cost.  Turns out Walmart and USPS are the two places that will allow people buy money orders with a debit card the cheapest.   But it doesn't seem to be the most effective use of time wise to be going back and forth to buy money orders to pay bills for the sake of  earning back 1%.  The time spent could be used on something with greater ROI.

Having said that my credit scores now are as follows:

701 --- 709 --- 722

After researching the best rewards program I have narrowed down to AMEX ...BARCLAY with Barclay offering the following:

• 0% Introductory APR for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers
  • 10,000 Bonus Points after spending $1,000 on qualifying transactions in the first 90 days of account opening - enough for up to $100 cash back

AMEX Blue Cash Premier offers 6% cashback on groceries and the AMEX GPR offering 25 000 points after $2K purchase in 90 days.  Can't beat that. 

After a month of calculated work two nights ago I said it was time to put all research to work.  The reason I selected BARCLAY was because they only do HP with Transunion.  Coincidentally I have ZERO inquiries with TU within 24 months.  My greatest risk was with AMEX.  AMEX typically do HPs on all 3 bureaus.

The goal is to get the 3 approved cards in one spree with the fewest HPs.  We all know that too many recent IQs/too many HPs/too many new accounts are causes for rejection and also "cancelation" of new accounts.  While it is possible to spree for more accounts in a short period of time it is my personal opinion after weeks of research that excessive INQs and new accounts can result in creditors cancellation of the opened accounts 60-120 days down the road.  Thus. it's counter intuitive to attempt to open too many accounts. 

I also believe it is better to restart with 1-2 decent credit limits ( $1000 ) than 4-5 ( $500 limit ) accounts.  In 6 months time it would be easier and more advantageous to do CLI with 1-2 decent accounts than asking 4-5 creditors to increase to $1000 each.  

After accounts are opened it is my belief that it will be easier to request CLI on 2 accounts from $1000 to $5000 limits than 4-5 accounts from $500.   I had thought of asking a friend to add me as an authorized user to his credit accounts with 20 yr. history and $10K credit limit but I did not want to trigger any flag in the event of a manual review.  It would not look right to see two credit accounts one with $600 CL and the other $10K.  However I did consider doing it but it appears the only real value of being added as an authorized user is the increase of AAoA.   My understanding is that an AU account payment history and credit line are not factored in terms of new account opening.    Since I already have 7+ years of credit history I did not feel an AU was necessary for the few benefits it brings.

The result:

I applied for the Barclay's Mastercard and was approved for $1500.  I called in to RECON and was denied because the only revolving tradeline I currently have is First Premier with $600 limit.  I did not want to push it too far so accepted the reality..at least for now.   

Almost simultaneously..I applied for the AMEX BCP and was approved instantly ( $3000 limit ).  Immediately in pursuit of a SP I applied for the PGR card and was also approved ( no preset limit ).  

There you have it friends.. 3 for 3 approved all within minutes of each other. 

Strangely my EQ scores was not affected and no INQ shows up in my EQ report.    I did not expect this to happen with AMEX since preliminary research shows they generally HP all three bureaus.  I have not rechecked my scores/reports on TU but I suspect to see a Barclay HP there. 

I suspect I only used up 1 inquiry/HP on TU to open 3 new accounts.  Currently my EQ report shows no INQ for all 3 accounts.  I will find out and update on EX soon. 

Apparently the execution went well with the fewest HPs.  The only thing stopping me is the fear of being flagged with too many recent accounts.  I will wait 61 days to do the AMEX CLI and 6 months to request CLI with Barclay.  At the 6 month mark I will be ready to do CLI spree for $10K cards...or new APPs for $5000 tradelines.  The goal is to get a few high limit cards and not many small limit cards.  In the end I believe having too many small limit cards will slow down the process of getting high limit accounts. 

3 new accounts or 3 hard pull CLIs every six months appear to be the most effective way for high limit tradelines.  Is there a better idea?  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Thank you All! 3 for 3 not bad.. now time to give back

Congarts 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 33
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on you new cards! You have a great plan thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 33
Shinoga
Regular Contributor

Congrats!

MY FICO = 690 CK=660 GOAL = 750 and my own house!..Back in the garden

Message 4 of 33
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!   I'd be very happy if I had a PRG and a BCE in my wallet.   I'll get there

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 33
n0smirc
Regular Contributor

Congrats!

And as an Amex former and current cardholder they seem to like experian, a LOT. Cap one is a triple puller almost 100% of the time. I rarely have heard of amex triple pulling.

Message 6 of 33
TFD2HOUSE
Established Member

Congrats! Quite an inspiring story, thanks for sharing!
Message 7 of 33
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

TFD2HOUSE... My wife recently apped for AMEX and they HPed all three. 

Thank you everyone for the cheers. 

For me the PRG and BCP are all I need.  The Barclay WMC is good in cases where AMEX is not accepted. 

Based on personal research and Wild Apps Guess..I think it will be easier to get other creditors to follow suit around the $5000 creditline.  The more small limit cards you have the more dificult it will be to get to $5000.  However if you can get one or two at $5000 everything else should fall into place. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 8 of 33
ScarletFever
Frequent Contributor

Awesome! Been there with FP...Yikes. Good luck!
.Citi FICO-836 Barclays TU FICO; 827. Discover Fic0-826; CK:EQ-821; TU-819; CS-819; Total credit-$165,500: NASA-29,700; AMEX BCP-17,000; AMEX EDP-20,000; CSP-14,400; Barclay Ring-10,000; Discover It-9,000; U.S.Bank Sig Visa13,000; United TeleTech Federal Credit Union-$9000; Citi Double Cash-9900; Citi TYP-7,700; Discover Cashback Bonus-7,200;Chase Freedom-6,500; AMEX HHilton Honors-5000; Barclay NFL Extra Points-$5000. Utility always 1-2%
Message 9 of 33
ladyMJ
Regular Contributor

Congrats!

Barclay told me the same thing...I wish I would have waited until I had a nice CL reporting before apping but too late Smiley LOL

Happy gardening!

2/26/15: TU Fico (BarclayCard)- 721
2/18/15: EQ (CK)- 668
2/26/15: EX (EX.com)- 706

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.