Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: AMEX BCE APPROVAL!! RECON SUCCESS

tag
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE: AMEX BCE APPROVAL!! RECON SUCCESS

So as some of you already know, I had applied for the Amex BCE. I will bullet point what has happened since.

1. Applied and was declined on July 30th.

2. Received letter explaining why and noticed they had used a report from June. (Util was 89% at that time)

3. Called to ask what I can do about that situation. 

4. Was told to fax in updated report for Recon, no Hard pull

5. Was hard pulled anyway and was declined again.

6. Received letter explaining why...

So that brings me to today. I just checked my mail and see that they again based my decision off of a report from mid July....I applied on July 30th. Reports had updated on July 28th. 

I mean do I just have bad luck or what? Why didn't they base this recon decision off of the reports I faxed in AND the hardpulled report they did in the beginning of August that they told me I wouldn't be receiving. I am so very much confused Smiley Sad

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Confused by Amex Recon Process

Have you talked to anyone from the executive offices?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 27
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I thinkrecon with Amex is almost a complete waste of time.  Do you have other Amex?  In not and your scores are accurate, then you are extremely marginal.  I would wait.  Fact is I expect another hard pull with recon with Amex no matter what they say.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 27
LS2982
Mega Contributor

They may HP again but if you explain that you've already been pulled twice they may just SP. (purely YMMV but worth a shot)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 27
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

I thinkrecon with Amex is almost a complete waste of time.  Do you have other Amex?  In not and your scores are accurate, then you are extremely marginal.  I would wait.  Fact is I expect another hard pull with recon with Amex no matter what they say.

Scores are not accurate. My scores are now about 715ish. Not that is really any better. Anyway, I do have an Amex Zync, and I am an AU on another positive account. I don't really care anymore that they hard pulled me. I'm just confused as to why they did not base my recon decision off of the report they pulled. They based it off of another soft pull from before the date I applied. The reasoning is still the same as before because it is basically the same report. 

Message 5 of 27
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Now I am really mixed up. If you hold zync, why worry bout any rejection?  Rejections should be soft pull.  If recon got you hard pull, that was a mistake on your part. If rejected, you should just hold off for a couple of months and apply again.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 27
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Now I am really mixed up. If you hold zync, why worry bout any rejection?  Rejections should be soft pull.  If recon got you hard pull, that was a mistake on your part. If rejected, you should just hold off for a couple of months and apply again.

Yes, but you are not understanding my issue. I get it. I am to blame for the hard pull. I am not conerned about that.

I am just wondering if it is normal for them to hardpull during the recon process and then send a denial letter based off of a soft pull from July 21st, and not the hard pull on August 7th. 

Message 7 of 27
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@CCB you should call executive office and speak with a supervisor, hopefully they can look at that updated report.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 27
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

So instead of calling the executive office, I decided to email the SVP of New Accounts. Figured I'd give it a try. I stated my case and confusion.  So today, I got a call back from the executive office early this afternoon. 

The woman I spoke with was very nice and was prepared with answers to all of my concerns. She said she investigated the situation and was able to prove that I was told incorrect information regarding the hard pull. She said she will remove the hard inquiry and has already spoken to the employee that misinformed me. 

She explained to me why I was declined but was not able to explain why they had not used my August 7 report. She said the reason was probably because my report was exactly the same. I said that's not the case and the reason why I wanted my application manually reviewed in the first place. At this point I could sense that she was confused and didnt have an answer for me. She said if I would like she can soft pull and try again. She said she cannot guarantee approval, but if my report is different, she will just try it now. So she put me on hold and came back and said that the reason why I was declined again was because they soft me the 21st of every month. So they used an old report again and did not like what they saw, so they really didn't factor in the hard pulled report.  So she said since tomorrow is the 21st she will try again for me and call me back with the results. 

Message 9 of 27
LilNYC
New Contributor

@ccb2115 wrote:

So instead of calling the executive office, I decided to email the SVP of New Accounts. Figured I'd give it a try. I stated my case and confusion.  So today, I got a call back from the executive office early this afternoon. 

The woman I spoke with was very nice and was prepared with answers to all of my concerns. She said she investigated the situation and was able to prove that I was told incorrect information regarding the hard pull. She said she will remove the hard inquiry and has already spoken to the employee that misinformed me. 

She explained to me why I was declined but was not able to explain why they had not used my August 7 report. She said the reason was probably because my report was exactly the same. I said that's not the case and the reason why I wanted my application manually reviewed in the first place. At this point I could sense that she was confused and didnt have an answer for me. She said if I would like she can soft pull and try again. She said she cannot guarantee approval, but if my report is different, she will just try it now. So she put me on hold and came back and said that the reason why I was declined again was because they soft me the 21st of every month. So they used an old report again and did not like what they saw, so they really didn't factor in the hard pulled report.  So she said since tomorrow is the 21st she will try again for me and call me back with the results. 

It's great that you finally got some answers and that at the very least they removed the hard inquiry. You might want to try changing your cc due dates so that the best possible util is reflected on reports pulled on the 21st? Hope they approve you in the end. I requested a recon last Monday & was just approved an hr ago so you never know.

Keep us posted...

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.