Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Airways MC approved but need to recon for 40,000 miles

tag
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

US Airways MC approved but need to recon for 40,000 miles

I applied for the Barclays US Airways MC and was instantly approved  - with a $2,000 limit. They pulled TU my cleanest report with 5 HP (luckily not EX with 18 HP). I was hoping to get the 40,000 mile offer but it seems with the low limit I only get 15,000 miles at first purchase. I'm just gathering miles for the eventual merger of US Airways and AA later this year. I was considering some butt in seat miles prior to the merger but I don't think I can even pay for the flights with that limit. 

Anyone have luck calling for a recon to get credit limit increased to qualify for the higher tier card and mile bonus? It's my lowest limit card by far and my income should be enough to warrant the higher tier card. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cottontop
Contributor

Re: US Airways MC approved but need to recon for 40,000 miles

DW had same issue, approved for platinum card instead of world, with a 4k limit. sent secured message about which bonus would apply, and was told that it would still be the 40k offer, but also still an $89 annual fee ...
Chase Unlimited 53k, us bank reserve 14k, nfcu flagship 32k, nfcu 15k cloc, discover 23.9k, citi 29k, 27.5k, GM 7.5k, Venmo 20k, penfed 15k, apple 8.5k,
Biz. Ink 10k, 35k, 20k, 5k. Us bank 9k, GM 29k
Message 2 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

@scenery_guy wrote:

I applied for the Barclays US Airways MC and was instantly approved  - with a $2,000 limit. They pulled TU my cleanest report with 5 HP (luckily not EX with 18 HP). I was hoping to get the 40,000 mile offer but it seems with the low limit I only get 15,000 miles at first purchase. I'm just gathering miles for the eventual merger of US Airways and AA later this year. I was considering some butt in seat miles prior to the merger but I don't think I can even pay for the flights with that limit. 

Anyone have luck calling for a recon to get credit limit increased to qualify for the higher tier card and mile bonus? It's my lowest limit card by far and my income should be enough to warrant the higher tier card. 

Good Luck scenery_guy best wishes

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 5
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Made a quick call this morning. Looks like I am settling for the stupid low limit and 15,000 miles. They don't want to raise the limit based on recent new cards and credit lines. Recent cards are Chase Priority Club $10,800, AMEX HHonors $17,700, CITI HHonors $8,500 and Virgin Atlantic $10,000. Funny but the analyst complimented me on paying in full on all my cards and having a solid history with good scores

I might try back later and see if I can get a yes from another CSR or analyst. The person I spoke with could not confirm if I was getting the 40,000 miles or 15,0000 miles either. I will attempt to work this out later and see if I can get passed up the chain to a supervisor to make this right. If not I will take the 15,000 miles and cancel the card in a few months and try for the card again in 90+ days. They seem to be churnable and they pull TU so it's worth the HP to find out.

Not really impressed with Barclays. Perhaps I'm not their target customer. 

Message 4 of 5
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Yes, Barclays seems odd.   I got the US Air card with either 17 or 18K 2 years ago, and closed it after a year.  Last year, Barclays gave me a Rewards MC with 4.7K, my lowest limit for 25 years, and I got cards with much higher limits shortly before and shortly after. 

So, strange bank!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.