cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA and NFCU approval!!

tag
kathrine

USAA and NFCU approval!!

I have 0 credit except for a Kay Jewelers card with a $300 limit. I've tried applying for all the "easy" cards (walmart, discover it, cap 1 journey, etc) and always got rejected. I finally decided to just try for USAA and NFCU and I got approved for both! My limit is very low ($500) but it's way better than nothing. I am so excited to start building my credit. I got the USAA Visa and the nRewards Mastercard. 

What is the best way to increase my score? Should I pay them all off so never carry a balance or should I at least let it show on the statement and then pay it? Also, what should my utilization be? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: USAA and NFCU approval!!

Yes let at least 1 report statement and then pif.
Message 2 of 12
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:
Yes let at least 1 report statement and then pif.

+1.  BTW, welcome to the forum & congrats on your approval!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 3 of 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Welcome to the forum Congrats x2! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 12
kathrine

Thanks everyone!!

Message 5 of 12
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum. Your util isn't as important unless you are planning to app. However, for credit management and you always want your credit reports to be in the best condition. Keeping your overall util less than 30% when not apping and less than 10% when apping is ideal.
Message 6 of 12
kathrine

Thanks! I won't be doing any more apps until probably a year. I will definitely be sure to keep it around 30% or less. 

Message 7 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on the approvals 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats for getting your foot in the door! USAA is conservative but they like to try and work with people so growing your CL is possible.
Message 9 of 12
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.