Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart CLI! And a question about that

tag
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Walmart CLI! And a question about that

I applied for a Walmart card earlier this week. Was approved for the Walmart Discover, but with a toy CL of $400 -- which seemed awfully low given my decent history and score. Then, following MyFico forums advice and using a number found on these forums, I "backdoored." Took about 10 minutes and being put on hold several times -- but I asked for a CLI to $1,000 -- and I got it!

Yay! I have never in my life called anybody to ask for a CLI. Have always just waited and hoped for automatic ones. So I owe the Great Gurus of the MyFico boards for that.

But a question: Will this keep GE from giving me the standard CLIs that everybody says come so soon?

$1,000 is what I asked for because I didn't want to push my luck. And they told me I had to name a number. But it's still far and away my lowest credit line. So I'm hoping that other increases that come as "gifts" from GE will push it higher within the year.

Do you think I'll get those famous GE auto-CLIs as long as I keep my nose clean and my credit picture reasonable? Or have I blown my chances by doing this?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
colindidit
Established Contributor

Re: Walmart CLI! And a question about that

Congrats! All my recent CLI's from them have been initiated by me because i hadnt had a auto in a while. I remember calling underwriting back in october and I asked for a higher limit to match another GE bank card. She said she couldnt do anything for me because i havent waited long enough between credit increases to get another credit increase..it made me laugh because im always trying to increase my credit with everyone. She said it in a kidding matter too.

Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 2 of 18
colindidit
Established Contributor

Also I always try as often as possible its a soft pull so you can't do worse than no...I've never read of any one getting in trouble for excessive love button pressing.

Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 3 of 18
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval and increase! I got approved via SP for $700 in november for the store card. I will wait a couple months to see if I get an auto-CLI before calling in or trying online for an increase.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 4 of 18
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

SAY WHAT!!?!?! you got the discover version with a 400 CL thats funny, ususaly when apporved for discover they provide with at leat a $800 CL or more. Congrats! good thing its a discover so you can mention that you will like to use it at other places to receive Cash back bonus(yea i know that redicolous $0.25 cash back LOL) But neevr mind the cash back the most important is the TU FICO SCORE.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 5 of 18
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest wrote:

SAY WHAT!!?!?! you got the discover version with a 400 CL thats funny, ususaly when apporved for discover they provide with at leat a $800 CL or more. Congrats! good thing its a discover so you can mention that you will like to use it at other places to receive Cash back bonus(yea i know that redicolous $0.25 cash back LOL) But neevr mind the cash back the most important is the TU FICO SCORE.

Yup. Although I don't know anything about Walmart's policies except what I've read in my couple of weeks on these forums, I thought that was pretty weird, too -- getting the Discover (which I didn't actually want; I just aimed for a pure retail card), then getting that paltry limit with it. FWIW, I have scores in the 720-745 range, absolutely clean credit, and an AAoA around five years (until a couple of new cards report!). But I don't have a very high income at all.

Still ... Discover and a $400 limit ... ???

So, back to the original question: now that I got a CLI days after approval, will that do anything to keep me from getting the generous auto-CLIs that GE is so famous for?

Thanks!

Message 6 of 18
colindidit
Established Contributor

Probably not. Wait 4 months if you don't get a credit increase by then call. As long as you're paying In full every month I see no reason they wouldn't auto increase you. I've gotten more credit by requesting then by auto increasing
Message 7 of 18
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Colindidit! I'll exercise a few months of patience, then do that.

Message 8 of 18
colindidit
Established Contributor

No problem, if only I ever listened to my own advice Smiley Tongue
Message 9 of 18
lithium78
Established Contributor

I've had a Walmart card since 2008 and started out with a Walmart store card with a $300 limit.  I requested CLIs every four months and got them until the limit was up to $1500.  One year ago, they upgraded it to a Walmart Discover with a $2000 limit and I have requested CLIs twice and received first a CLI to $4500 and today a CLI to $6000.  GE doesn't seem to do very many auto CLIs, but they will grant them if you give the account enough time to age and then request one.  I don't even use the Walmart Discover very much because the rewards are weak, but they like me anyway.  If you have decent income, I see no reason why they wouldn't give you a much higher CL.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.