Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wasted a soft inquiry for $500 bucks

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Wasted a soft inquiry for $500 bucks

Called Walmart Discover to get my credit limit increased. The lady asked me how much I wanted to increase to. I requested $1,500 more. Waited 7 minutes for her to come back with a decision. She says "Oh congratulations your CL has been increased by 1,500!" I got so excited that I thanked her and ended the call. Why do I log on to my Walmart account and see my CL has moved from 1k to 1.5k....$500 dollarss?? Soo madd! Should I call back and tell them the mistake or be happy with the increase?

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
john398
Senior Contributor

Re: Wasted a soft inquiry for $500 bucks

Well if its just a soft inq, nothing was wasted, you are the only one who sees those

Message 2 of 24
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats on the cli

Message 3 of 24
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

LOL. Thanks!

For those wondering...current UTL is 20%

Message 4 of 24
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  GE CLI is a soft pull, so you got $500 bump and no harm done.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

Called Walmart Discover to get my credit limit increased. The lady asked me how much I wanted to increase to. I requested $1,500 more. Waited 7 minutes for her to come back with a decision. She says "Oh congratulations your CL has been increased by 1,500!" I got so excited that I thanked her and ended the call. Why do I log on to my Walmart account and see my CL has moved from 1k to 1.5k....$500 dollarss?? Soo madd! Should I call back and tell them the mistake or be happy with the increase?

Was this regular CSR?

You can call back and request to have a "Manual" review done with credit department, They might be able to help you go even higher! and always SP so no harm as others have said.

Message 6 of 24
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

+1  GE CLI is a soft pull, so you got $500 bump and no harm done.  

I know. Even knowing its a soft pull, the inquiry feels so wasted b/c I waited forever for the agent to come back and it wasn't what I requested. I think she misheard me. Oh well...lol. Plus it is 8am here on the west coast...we all still need our coffee Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 24
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Was this regular CSR?

You can call back and request to have a "Manual" review done with credit department, They might be able to help you go even higher! and always SP so no harm as others have said.

No. It was one of the back door analyst from the thread. I called and got directed right to the agent. I'm surprised she didn't ask me if this was for Walmart or Sam's club...they usually do.

Message 8 of 24
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

How long have you had the card?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

GE CLI's are not asking how much of an increase you want, they ask how much total CL you want.

Can be VERY confusing, especially if you have balance currently.

Example:

Cl is $1000

Bal is $500

How much more do you want available to charge (forget exact wording on automated phone)

I want $1000

verify - so you want an additional $500 CLI?

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.