Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to go for AMEX BCE? [Student[

tag
broseph23
Regular Contributor

Re: When to go for AMEX BCE? [Student[

I hope you didn't use that 40000 of grants and scholarships as income on your application. That is NOT considered income by any means, especially the IRS. Money from grants and scholarships goes directly to paying for education. 

Age: 25 | FICO: TU 802, EQ 782, EX 801 | FAKO: TU 778, EX 769 | Garden: 6/2015 | Total History: 7yr 6mo | AAoA: 4yr 2mo | Util: 4%
........24000...............10000.....................6000................7000................500..................5000................18000...............10000
Message 11 of 21
sergi0wned
Contributor

@broseph23 wrote:

I hope you didn't use that 40000 of grants and scholarships as income on your application. That is NOT considered income by any means, especially the IRS. Money from grants and scholarships goes directly to paying for education. 

Fortunately I did not. I included the full salary from my job, as well as the support that my parents and relatives give me.

20 years old | 4 Cards in my wallet | TU (3/28/14) 743
January 2013 - 1st Financial Bank USA Platinum VISA ($500 --> $1,500)
June 2013- Discover IT Student ($1,500 --> $1,800 --> $2,100), Citi Forward Student ($1,500 --> $2,900)
December 2013 - Macy's American Express ($1,000 --> $3,000)
February 2014 - American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($3,000), Chase Freedom ($2,000)
April 2014 - Sallie Mae MasterCard ($3,800)
Message 12 of 21
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@sergi0wned wrote:

@Transmogrifying_Bee wrote:

@sergi0wned wrote:

OMG! I just applied and was instantly approved! I finally feel like I've "made it" in the credit world! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the support guys!

Congratulations on your approval for the Amex BCE card!  And what a nice feeling it must be to start the Amex "Member Since" clock at such an early age!  Good luck on your future X3 CLI attempts.

QUESTION:  Can you tell us what initial CL Amex gave you, on a "student income?"  Thanks!

Thank you to you and everyone else! I can't believe that I have an Amex at 20! I look forward to many years of business with them.

I received a $3,000 CL. I was SHOCKED, and when I called the guy on the phone said that it was very rare and impressive to see such a high limit at a young age. I'm thinking that they may have been trying to compete with my Citi Forward ($2,900 CL), but other than that I can't really understand how I got such a high limit with a student income and other credit cards.

Congrats on your great CL! I love AMEX, they're so generous. I'm also a graduate student, and have around $14,000 in income (my AMEXs are in my sig).

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 13 of 21
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on your new AmEx, OP!  Treat it well & that $3k will grow exponentially!  Smiley Happy

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 14 of 21
alvon123
Super Contributor

@sergi0wned wrote:

OMG! I just applied and was instantly approved! I finally feel like I've "made it" in the credit world! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for the support guys!

congrats

Message 15 of 21
LifeSAVERS
Regular Contributor

Congratulations and I am so impressed! I  have a HS Jr that is doing early decision next October (1st pick is Duke, 2n Harvard - Pre-med/Pediatrics)..no booing from the gallery! Smiley Happy

And I have to say knowing how hard he has worked and is doing unbelievably well and hoping for scholarships and grants and mostly how proud I am of him, I am so impressed and know that you have worked hard for both and your family must be Extremely Proud of you!

Again, Congrats on the Amex, but especially on the hard work you are doing!

Message 16 of 21
sergi0wned
Contributor

@LifeSAVERS wrote:

Congratulations and I am so impressed! I  have a HS Jr that is doing early decision next October (1st pick is Duke, 2n Harvard - Pre-med/Pediatrics)..no booing from the gallery! Smiley Happy

And I have to say knowing how hard he has worked and is doing unbelievably well and hoping for scholarships and grants and mostly how proud I am of him, I am so impressed and know that you have worked hard for both and your family must be Extremely Proud of you!

Again, Congrats on the Amex, but especially on the hard work you are doing!

Thank you very much! I appreciate your kind words. Best of luck to your child with the college applications. They're definitely stressful, but they pay off! 

June 2013- Discover IT Student ($1,500 --> $1,800 --> $2,100), Citi Forward Student ($1,500 --> $2,900)
February 2014 - American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($3,000), Chase Freedom ($2,000)
Message 17 of 21
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@sergi0wned wrote:

@broseph23 wrote:

Fortunately I did not. I included the full salary from my job, as well as the support that my parents and relatives give me.

Be very careful reporting this on income as it not something you consistenly get every year. Alot of times people have a hard time proving this and can be a problem.

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 18 of 21
sergi0wned
Contributor

@efranklin23 wrote:

@sergi0wned wrote:

@broseph23 wrote:

Be very careful reporting this on income as it not something you consistenly get every year. Alot of times people have a hard time proving this and can be a problem.

Shoot, now I'm worried. Is there anything I can do now?

Message 19 of 21
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@sergi0wned wrote:

@efranklin23 wrote:

@sergi0wned wrote:

@broseph23 wrote:

Shoot, now I'm worried. Is there anything I can do now?

I say go for it as it's a student card but just beware. If they ask you about it, you may need to get your parents to write a letter or some kind of contract (or even FAFSA form) showing their support to you. just make sure you tell them you're a student and you should be ok.

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.