cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WhooHooo, got my 2nd non secured credit card!

tag
ScottL
New Contributor

WhooHooo, got my 2nd non secured credit card!

Over the past couple years I have been trying to rebuild my credit after some bad decisions and a divorce. I believe I am finally headed in the right direction.

Recently I did apply and was approved for a loan modification on my house. This next month is my final payment for it to be finalized. I was hesitant as Ive heard it can hurt your credit. But I will be saving over $250/month so I couldnt turn it down.

About a year and a half ago or so, I got a $200 secured credit card from Cap One. Then after about a year of having it, early this year they just randomly upped my limit to $750.

couple months ago, I applied and received my first unsecured credit card from Credit One. Limit was only $300, but hey... was a step in the right direction. I have had this now probably 4-5 months or so?

then last night in the mail, i got a letter saying I was pre approved for a Cap One Quicksilver credit card. I didnt think Id get approved even with the pre approval, but thought Id go online and see anyway... and I got approved... $500 limit!!  The paper does say after 5 months of ontime payments, they will up your credit limit. any idea what they usually up it to?

all together, my total credit limit is only about $1500, im excited to see im starting to get approvals from non secured. Thats got to be a good sign. I havent done a real fico in a while, but creditkarma and sights have me hovering around 640-650 range, which is almost 150 points higher than when I started this process about 2 years ago.

Starting Score: 498 (Jan 2013)
Current FICO 8: 687 EQ, 683 TU, 700 EX
Goal Score: 680
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
VinnyVee
Contributor

Re: WhooHooo, got my 2nd non secured credit card!

Congrats! You're definitely making progress! It's always a good feeling seeing your progress grow over time!

(started in the mid 500s on all 3, 11/13)
As of 5/22/15 EX: 698, EQ: 700, TU: 703
Barclay Rewards: $2750, Capital One Quicksilver one: $4300, Discover IT : $300, Amazon Visa: $100. Best Buy Credit Card: $3000, Kohl's Charge: $300, Express: $2600, Overstock $1650, Chase Freedom $4700, AMEX Everday $1500, Serta iComfort $4700, Walmart $1600, Target $300
Message 2 of 20
Amleigh
Regular Contributor

Congrats, keep up the good work!

Starting Score: 467 EQ 514 TU 583 EX
Current Score: 531 EQ 567 TU 601 EX
Goal Score: EQ 742 TU 742 EX 742

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Sure is a great feeling. I have had my co platinum mc for 10months (300 to 500 cl), was able to pc to QS Mc w no af, and have been receiving quicksilver preapprovals as well. I applied a few days ago and got the 7-10 day message. Called yesterday and the csr said I was approved but she didnt know the limit. Hoping its more than my current $500. I also applied for a Barclays rewards mc and was denied, then denied on recon due to less than a year at current credit card. But two quicksilvers and my walmart card are more than enough for now. Congrats! And i believe the next cli for you would be $750 but many have had success at getting larger first increases after usage and paying in full. Enjoy your new card!
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a 650-670 you shouldn't be applying for CreditOne. 

You should have applied for better cards such as Barclay's Reward card or even depending on where you are and what's on your file a Discover.

CreditOne isn't that great of a card. Infact, it's one of the worse.

Message 5 of 20
ScottL
New Contributor

i realize Credit One isnt a good card, but at the time 5 or so months ago, I didnt have anything but the secured CC from Capital One. So I was just trying to get anything and go from there. Today, I got the 2nd Capital One unsecured card.  Maybe in a few months from now, I will try for the Barclays one and then get rid of the Credit One, or just cut it up and never use it to boost my overall credit line?

Id like to eventually get some kind of airline reward card with a decent credit line, and use it for my monthly day to day purchases and rack up some airline miles. Thats kinda my goal.

Message 6 of 20
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

Congrats! Hope you keep it up and stay on track. This is a first step in the right direction and only can go up from here. Good luck!! 

Message 7 of 20
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that you have the Credit One card you might as well keep it for at least a year.. Cause, you don't want close a tradeline that you have open.

I would have recmomend apping for Discover or Barclays instead but, congratulations.

Message 9 of 20
ScottL
New Contributor

well the main hiccup in my credit is a Discover chargeoff, so I doubt Discover will ever approve me again. But I will go for the Barclays next since a few people here have reccomended it.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.