Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

planning my app spree

tag
burnednotice
Established Member

planning my app spree

Thanks to the help here, I cleared some chargeoffs and lates, and been in the garden for 16months with $500 Chase Freedom, $500 Amex Zync, $500 TD bank secured card, and 3 GE cards ($600 amazon, $300 Wal-Mart, $300 PayPal smartconnect). The GE cards have auto CLI to $2200, $600, and $400 respectively. Two months ago I opened a Target Red Card at $1000, then auto increased to $2500.
Current USAA creditmonitor FICO scores are 720s (from 580s!).
Plan to app for:
1) Amex BCP
2) Discover IT
3) Capital One quicksilver or quicksilverOne
4) request CLI for chase Freedom
5) Citi card of some sort
6) TD unsecured Credit card (should I close the secured card or just keep it?? Oldest acct at 27months)

Thoughts or suggestions? I also want the Barclay arrival card but highly doubt will be approved, so will not waste the HP.

Starting Score: (USAA FAKO scores)
ex:579 eq:585 tu:603

Current Score: (7/2012) ex: 585 eq:663 tu:603
(8/2012) ex: 657 eq: 673 tu: 671

Goal Score: 850+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
jaraico
Regular Contributor

Re: planning my app spree

If u like 5 % rotating categories the Citi dividend is good. If u want the world mastercard arrival I'd wait if u want no annual fee version you might get approved. But amazing job getting your scores up.
Barclays TU: 760 MyFico EX: 746 EQ:?

Message 2 of 32
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@burnednotice wrote:
Thanks to the help here, I cleared some chargeoffs and lates, and been in the garden for 16months with $500 Chase Freedom, $500 Amex Zync, $500 TD bank secured card, and 3 GE cards ($600 amazon, $300 Wal-Mart, $300 PayPal smartconnect). The GE cards have auto CLI to $2200, $600, and $400 respectively. Two months ago I opened a Target Red Card at $1000, then auto increased to $2500.
Plan to app for:
1) Amex BCP
2) Discover IT
3) Capital One quicksilver or quicksilverOne- Go for the QS not the QS one at this point. I think your scores show you should get the one with no AF
4) request CLI for chase Freedom- I have found that some people have more sucess getting a whole new card and then combining the tradelines, rather than taking a HP for a CLI
6) TD unsecured Credit card (should I close the secured card or just keep it?? Oldest acct at 27months)

Thoughts or suggestions? I also want the Barclay arrival card but highly doubt will be approved, so will not waste the HP.- I wouldn't until you're done apping for any cards for a year

Wow congratulations on the improvements you've made! Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 3 of 32
burnednotice
Established Member

I forgot to mention I also want the CSP, but highly doubt my chance of success. Anyone know the difficulty of this card?

Should I perhaps app for the Chase Amazon rewards Visa, then move the credit limit over to the Freedom instead or requesting CLI?

Message 4 of 32
FastForward
Frequent Contributor

@burnednotice wrote:

Thoughts or suggestions? I also want the Barclay arrival card but highly doubt will be approved, so will not waste the HP.

Just got approved for the Barclay Arrival WMC a couple days ago via re-con.  I too have been in re-build mode over the last several months, but not quite as long as your process so far (great job, by the way!) .....and obviously my scores are not as high as yours are yet. 

IMO, based on your excellent progress over the last 16 months, trying for the Arrival may be worth a shot.  And, there is always the chance for a re-con, if not instantly approved.  Many success stories with Barclays re-cons, including my own. Smiley Wink   My guess is that your biggest "hurdle" with Barclays (if anything at all) would be primarily based on a "high" number of recent inquiries and/or new account openings (depending on if and when you decide to app).  Fingers crossed that won't be the case! 

@burnednotice wrote:

I forgot to mention I also want the CSP, but highly doubt my chance of success. Anyone know the difficulty of this card? 

Hoping & wishing for the CSP myself - hopefully before the end of 2014.  I'm assuming it'll be at least several months before I get to its qualification level.  However, again based on your progress and what sounds to be a good history already established with your Chase Freedom, I think you would have a good shot for this card as well. 

Anyway, just my thoughts!  Good luck with whichever cards you decide on & keep us updated.  I'm really trying not to app for anything else at least until this summer.  So, for now, just enjoying living vicariously through folks like you!  Smiley LOL

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx BCP (10k) | AmEx Blue Cash (1k) | AmEx SPG (3.5k) | Barclay Arrival WMC (7.5k) | Barclay Sallie Mae (1.5k) | Cap1 QS (2k) | Chase Freedom (1k) | Discover IT (4.5k) | InTouch (Local) CU MC (5k) | InTouch (Local) CU LOC (25k)

Citi/Best Buy (AU) (1.5k) | Citi/Best Buy (7.5k) | Comenity/Crate & Barrel (4k) | Comenity/Restoration Hardware (9k) | GE/Ethan Allen (2.5k) | Synchrony Bank/Banana Republic (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Gap (3.3k) | Synchrony Bank/Walmart (3.3k)

myFICO scores ~ 691 (EQ) 670 (EX) 712 (TU) || Goal scores: 750+ (all 3)
Message 5 of 32
jaraico
Regular Contributor

since you have the freedom and good scores id go for the csp if i was you

but im a gambling woman lol

i got it with lower scores

Barclays TU: 760 MyFico EX: 746 EQ:?

Message 6 of 32
nitrov
Established Contributor

@burnednotice wrote:
Plan to app for:
1) Amex BCP
2) Discover IT
3) Capital One quicksilver or quicksilverOne
4) request CLI for chase Freedom

You may want to look at my thread from my recent app spree which included most of the ones you mention. I too am a USAA member and monitor my credit with their service and my scores have gone to the 700-720s from high 500s to low 600s. Based on those similarities and my own results, I would definitely suggest apping for one of USAA's credit cards as they gave me a whopping $7000 CL, which is way higher than anything else I got. Aside from that:

1. I assume you mean BCE? I got turned down for that a couple months ago, but did get approved for a PRG

2. got approved for 1500

3. you'll most likely get approved for that for sure

4. depends on your history with them, but Chase is hit or miss

5. Citi turned me down due to too many inqs and accts opened in <6 months, even after recon

6. not sure

I got Barclays Rewards MC with a $2500 limit, I'm not sure about Arrival, but Barclays has been good so far to me.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 7 of 32
nitrov
Established Contributor

@FastForward wrote:

@burnednotice wrote:

Just got approved for the Barclay Arrival WMC a couple days ago via re-con.  I too have been in re-build mode over the last several months, but not quite as long as your process so far (great job, by the way!) .....and obviously my scores are not as high as yours are yet. 

IMO, based on your excellent progress over the last 16 months, trying for the Arrival may be worth a shot.  And, there is always the chance for a re-con, if not instantly approved.  Many success stories with Barclays re-cons, including my own. Smiley Wink   My guess is that your biggest "hurdle" with Barclays (if anything at all) would be primarily based on a "high" number of recent inquiries and/or new account openings (depending on if and when you decide to app).  Fingers crossed that won't be the case! 

@burnednotice wrote:

Hoping & wishing for the CSP myself - hopefully before the end of 2014.  I'm assuming it'll be at least several months before I get to its qualification level.  However, again based on your progress and what sounds to be a good history already established with your Chase Freedom, I think you would have a good shot for this card as well. 

Anyway, just my thoughts!  Good luck with whichever cards you decide on & keep us updated.  I'm really trying not to app for anything else at least until this summer.  So, for now, just enjoying living vicariously through folks like you!  Smiley LOL

I know CSP minimum CL is $5000 and chances of approval without any existing CLs that high are very very low

My Top 3: Amex Delta Platinum ($30k) | Amex PRG | Citi Prestige ($30k) |

Starting scores 600-640 (2013), current 765-775 (2019); It is possible!

Message 8 of 32
lmashimaru
Valued Member

I spoke to chase about this card for a family member and they not only take into consideration your credit/history (my relative had a 670) but also your income. They said that because their income was 40k it was not high enough to qualify for the CSP, but his credit was fine for the card. 

Also the Barclay Arrival card i also spoke to barclay about because i had applied for one of their other cards, but both the regular card (no fee) and the card with fees are pretty much the same. One just has a fee while the other doesn't. The backdoor rep said that the requirements are the same for both (he could be lying) but i believe it.

Experian - 749 Equifax - 765 Transunion - 756 [ FAKO EnhancedITP Pulled 06/07/2014 ]
Cards:
Chase [Sapphire Preferred - $5000] :: [Freedom - $ 2000] :: [Slate - $500] :: [Amazon Visa - $1000]
Barclays [Arrival + - $900]
In the Garden for a long time now that I've gotten the cards i want.
Message 9 of 32
burnednotice
Established Member

Thanks for the encouragement, but I'm not sure I'm ready for the CSP and Barclays lol.
I do mean the BCP and not the BCE as I plan to spend a lot on groceries.
Discover and quicksilver are feeling like great possibilities.
I initiated a request for CLI on Freedom through the Secure Message Center and they replied back asking for income and requested amount. Should I continue with this, or app for either CSP or the Amazon Chase visa?

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.