Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1st AMEX

tag
cam2103
Valued Member

1st AMEX

What is the best strategy to get into the AMEX family? Charge card then Credit card? Is the underwriting the same on the different Charge cards? Which Credit card is easiest to get?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
roniram
Regular Contributor

Re: 1st AMEX

Well, I was just approved for the Green card after being approved for Amex BCE on Saturday.  I chatted with an AMEX rep and they stated that people who are turned down for the BCE have had success obtaining a charge card, so I think the charge card is easier to obtain. 

Venture 10K /NFCU Platinum 6.6K /Amazon 6.6K/ Walmart 3.3K /Cap 1 QS1 1.65K /Cap 1 Platinum 1.15K /Show MC 1.1 /Amex BCE 1K /Chase Freedom 1K / NFCU Cash Rewards 500/
Starting Score: 6/1/13 TU 566 EXP 632 EQ 611
Current Score: 09/13/21 TU 726 EXP 717 EQ 718
Goal Score: 740 Across the Board
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@cam2103 wrote:

What is the best strategy to get into the AMEX family? Charge card then Credit card? Is the underwriting the same on the different Charge cards? Which Credit card is easiest to get?

Thanks!

charge then revolver back to back usually gets one HP only. U/W for charge cards are pretty much the same. Delta is the easiest from what other members experiences are. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 12
cam2103
Valued Member

Great, thanks for the info. I'm waiting for one more account to report then I'm going for it!
Message 4 of 12
PrettyGyrl
Frequent Contributor

Good luck! I have the Amex itchy finger...trying to wait until my utilization gets closer to 20%
Started from the bottom, now I'm here: 4/20/15: EX-674 TU 704 EQ-677
TU-Clean...EQ & EX-1 Paid Collections & 1 Judgement
T minus 4 months until Operation EE!!
Goal: 750 Across the board! AMEX Approved! Living in the Garden
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get the PRG . Easiest and best charge card .
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the Delta Amex, but was denied for the PRG and still waiting to hear if the BCE is going to limp past the finish. It's definitely a YMMV kind of set up.

I was reporting 12% utilization when the Delta was approved. The other two apps were on the same night, same util reporting. PRG said my score wasn't high enough, I had a judgement on file, etc etc. Nothing that wasn't taken into account for the Delta. So I'm a little perplexed.
Message 7 of 12
uswala
Senior Contributor

Good luck OP!

Message 8 of 12
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

Good luck!  I'd like to see how many credit pulls you get with the three cards during that short time period.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 9 of 12
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@cam2103 wrote:
Great, thanks for the info. I'm waiting for one more account to report then I'm going for it!

Before you get too trigger-happy, what will be your AAOA after this new account reports? This could hurt your chances!

IE:

You have 1 card with a history of 12 months. (AAOA: 1 year)

You add on card 2 with a history of 0 months. (AAOA now: 6 months)

Please give us some numbers here. You may want to apply before it reports if your history looks anything like my example.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.