cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 months of history, FICO 8s are in, what next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

6 months of history, FICO 8s are in, what next?

TU 724 | EX 719 | EQ 718

QS @ 300

BoA CR @ 1000

My main goal is to get in with Chase. I'm getting married in 2018/2019 and I want to get the travel rewards racked up.

Next steps:

SSL to boost score
A card @ 5k+

My scores are better than anticpated. Any recommendations? My last thread on my next card was between Discover and AMEX, but the jury is still out.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

Re: 6 months of history, FICO 8s are in, what next?

@Anonymous wrote:

TU 724 | EX 719 | EQ 718

@Anonymous @ 300

@Anonymous CR @ 1000

My main goal is to get in with Chase. I'm getting married in 2018/2019 and I want to get the travel rewards racked up.

Next steps:

SSL to boost score
@A card @ 5k+

My scores are better than anticpated. Any recommendations? My last thread on my next card was between Discover and AMEX, but the jury is still out.

Congrats

Get a Amex, they give large credit lines and like thin files like yours, and the perks a good, I recomend getting first a Amex Everday Card (points) and then some time before you get marred get a charge card (gold or plat) to get extra points (wait for amex special mail offers for the charge card)

before applying check if you are pre-qualified

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recommend you add a card with a high limit to your collection. NFCU, AMEX, PenFed are good choice for high limits with your scores.

Message 3 of 7
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

TU 724 | EX 719 | EQ 718

@Anonymous @ 300

@Anonymous CR @ 1000

Next steps:

SSL to boost score
@A card @ 5k+

Do the SSL now, you have more than enough time to get a boost next month.

Let 1 card report $0 balance, the other low like $10 by mid May

Get an Amex BCE (cash) or EC (points) once you get the score boost. Check pre-qual site, hunt for best offer. BCE usually is $100, $150 or $250 cash back plus 10% restaurants, try to get the $250 bonus, sometimes you could get it with 'private window' or 'incognito mode'

Then wait for a few months to get your Amex over 5k, and everything on your reports. Plan for Chase at this point, you should be 3/24 now so only 2 slots for Chase cards. If your history is over 12 months and at least 1 card at 5k, it will be easy to get a Chase card with 5k or even 10k min SL (income dependent). You can go for CSP first, 5k min SL. Good luck.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't been able to get an AmEx pre-qual to pop up yet.  After the SSL I'll try again.  It could be that I just came up on my 6 months and their system needs time to recognize that.

Message 5 of 7
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't been able to get an AmEx pre-qual to pop up yet.  After the SSL I'll try again.  It could be that I just came up on my 6 months and their system needs time to recognize that.

I'd wait for the SSL....(remember it takes a month or two to open the loan (funding and apping), first autopay, and the updated balance to report that you paid it down) if your doing Alliant SSL..... at 6mo you have a good score but its not a very strong or steady score... its volitile... you might even see a "small" hit.. 

If your not in a rush.. id wait for month 9.. for the card(s)... Amex likes thin files, as does Discover ... if you want a monthly fico (not fako) you can get one from Discovers free credit scorecard (creditscorecard.com) (do not need to be a cardholder)...also it will help get their attention if you want a card sooner vs later... Navy is another good choice for a newish profile as well...

How id do it..

App for SSL now... wait 2-3 months ... app for say amex and something else, then wait . perhaps another 6 months, even a year, then app for chase (try checking their prequalify peridocially.. id give it at least 6 mo from your amex/other card app.. you have a few good cards that can/will likely grow.. Let them grow!...You want some larger CLs showing and chase wants a min of a year .. they do not want to be first .. Yes folks have gotten in at 9mo and earlier with a relationship but 500 Cls that take a bit and HPs to unstick arent a good thing either...

Your score is likely to bounce a bit right now esp after apping for a card... don't be too alarmed but its something to keep in mind when your making these choices... 

time tends to settle things out a bit.. (as long as your doing things right, not just skating on min payments, etc)...

Credit is a marathon not a sprint.... and Rome wasn't built in a day...

Good luck and keep us informed with progress..

-J

Also might want to keep in mind Chase's 5/24 policy... 

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-524-rule-now-effect-credit-cards/

Message 6 of 7
JustcallmeTM
Regular Contributor

So far you have the right idea, I would look into Discover or Amex, especially Amex if you value travel points. I would also say get into a CU and get one of there cards/LOC's. I personally use NFCU as my main bank for everything, I tried BOA, Cap1, Chase and some others I went back to old reliable from 1999.

People don't use the LOC's much on here or even know how to use it effectively but using this opened up unlimited amounts of pre-approvals in personal loans, HELOC and car loans, etc...If you know how to use the LOC then one is responsible enough for a large personal loan, etc...if you don't have experience with loans then LOC's are pretty much a starting point on how to manage a loan, good usage and payments and big banks will notice.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.