Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Bit Confused

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A Bit Confused

Yesterday I applied for a personal / everyday American Express card. My FICO, (through Discover Card site) was 606. I read online AMEX they MIGHT approve at that score, so I tried. AMEX sends me a polite email of denial stating my credit score is 565.  What the big difference?  I'm not late on any payments, only have 2 active credit accounts and 1 is a secure card. Just today I was approved for $500 in credit with MSC Industrial Supply, that's an unsecured 30- day net account. I have a lawncare business and need a few things, but no DUNS number so the MSC is under my SS# and personal info. I had to sign as the guarantor since its a sole prop and I am the owner/ 

I do not see why there is a 41 point difference? The free FICO score I received on Discover's site was dated 4-12-17 so it wasn't old.

606 isn't great but its sure better than the 565 AMEX quoted.Going to buy the monthly monitoring on all 3 on here once my payment posts tonight for my Discover.

Any info would help....

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ericp4440
Established Member

Re: A Bit Confused

I think discover score is transunion and amex pulls experian. That might explain the score difference.

Current FICO 8 Scores: 4/2017 (TU 680, EX 725, EQ 661)
Starting FICO 8 Scores: 4/2015 (TU 470, EX 500, EQ 439)
Message 2 of 4
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

So, Disco has 2 FICO options... one as a cardholder = TU and the other being scorecard = EX.

If your 606 is EX then it's a tad low to get in with AMEX.  As to why there would be a difference of ~40 points it could be multiple things.  If you're carrying balances anywhere and they reported it could cause the drop.  

If you haven't signed up for scorecard - https://www.creditscorecard.com/registration

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX always comes back with a score lower than everyone else, it seems... OP, you should wait till your scores are around 660+ before you try them, they are very finicky that way...

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.