Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX BCP Pending for 2 weeks as of today

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX BCP Pending for 2 weeks as of today

2 weeks ago I applied for a Amex BCP, also that same day my wife added me as a user on her BC account before I saw the offer on BCP. But my application for my own account has been "in-progress" for 2 weeks at this point and no matter what number I call I get the same canned response "your application is being handled by our executive team and they are non customer-facing but will call you in 3-5 bus. days if they need any additional information to process your application".  Has anyone run into an in-progress status this long before without anybody being able to give you any solid info on the status of the app?  

I know people will ask what my scores are like to see if that's the issue. They are all pretty decent nothing spectacular 700+ or so, no deliquencies in over 4yrs, no new lines of credit in past 12mos, 4 total inquiries in 24mos but 1 is a dup and another is a rental agency, and another is a $30k low rate auto loan. So only one is actually a line of credit. My utilization may average around 60% but that's more of a billing close date vs payment post issue not an average monthly balance, I use plastic for everything. And as for total lines it's upwards of maybe $30k or so between 3 majors and 2 dept stores. But I guess if they include me being on wife's BC account then I guess my total lines would be a bit over $45k.  

My thoughts are that nothing in the world takes two weeks to say either yay or nay, at this point I'm just annoyed with it taking so darn long and that customer service reps are basically useless.  So yea, any insight from the community is much appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX BCP Pending for 2 weeks as of today

My last CLI prompting a 4506 because of the limit requested took them 3 weeks to process in comparison to the same type of request last fall only a week.

I'm guessing your app triggered some sort of a review since that whole exec team response is what I kept getting with the CLI request.  

Give them a call and pester them a little bit Smiley Happy

AmEx: 800-567-1083 - App Status

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I've already called about 6 times over the past 2 weeks, I'll try one more time on Friday if it's not done by then and raise holy hell and hope they can get me to a person that has the ability to click a button.  If not I'll probably just move on and ask for the app to be cancelled and the HP reveresed.  Sucks though, I liked the rewards but maybe someone else will popup with a similar offer. 

Message 3 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Just hang in there and let the system work as slow as molasses.  Just because it's not instant doesn't mean they won't come through in the end.  AMEX has been known to do some amazing things in the past.  

Look at the upside and it wasn't an instant denial Smiley Happy

Just find something else to occupy your time for the next week or so.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL I just went off on a long 3 paragraph rant that had me cracking up by the end. But anyways I think I might have an idea what's going on from piecing together bits of information and experiences from other card holders.  This is just may very well be standard protocol but if that's the case they should have done a much better job communicating it.   I'll post it later in a bit though, if what I think turns out to be the case it's very worthwhile for people to know. 

Message 5 of 9
ericp4440
Established Member

I applied for a BCP on the 6th of this month and mine is still in progress as well. I was pre-qualified with an Apr of 13.74. I've called and got the same response as you. The waiting is killing me and it's only been a week. Hopefully we'll hear something soon.

Current FICO 8 Scores: 4/2017 (TU 680, EX 725, EQ 661)
Starting FICO 8 Scores: 4/2015 (TU 470, EX 500, EQ 439)
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

So piecing together information from different threads, forums, and experiences from other card holders here's what may "possibly" be going on.  So even some posts with today's date on them have people saying they've applied for multiple AMEXs in the same day, while in other places you'll find people swear up and down that you can't. I think that it's based on an automated algorithm that takes that factors your inquiry/credit habits when analysing for fraud. So that may explain where I don't have a lot of inquiries and don't apply for credit often, "two applications" in the same day may get flagged where someone with 10 or so may not. That's the first part. The second part is that when my wife made me an AU that triggered the 1st app, then when I applied that became the second. Because I was technically already a card holder their fraud protection service kicked in which was to hold the app for 5 bus days before allowing it to process, but then also at the same time triggered an addition mandatory 5 day wait see window where a fraud prevention analyst is supposed to monitor my credit report for any abnormal changes. This is somewhat backed up by the fact that I have 3 additional soft pulls from Amex in the past week.  The thread was old maybe from 2012 or 2011 but this happened to a couple of other "existing" card holders where this cooling off period automatically drops after the 10th business day, but from what I gather they were able to speak to a rep that told them that they were approved and the exact day that the status would change.  This is probably because at the time the Executive Office team had a working phone that didn't require customers to know the extension of the person they were calling.

Now some caveats, it may be something that may only happen to existing card holders and based on credit history and how the algorithm interprets it the hold can drop off sooner; that I have no clue, just speculation. Many people claim that multi-apps is doable and just as many say it triggers a 5 day fraud prevention hold. All in all if this is the case, it would somewhat lineup with some of the original stories I got from the CSR people that it was being monitored for fraud and someone from this mystical non client-facing department would call me once they determine it not to be, before the story turned into they just need to call you and verify your home address. Given the age of the posts it's possible protocols have changed and now this just SOP, but then it could also just be that I'm special and G*d loves to mess with me from time to time. In any case regardless of the outcome I plan on writing a decently polite letter to the EO people explaining to them that their CSR people need to do a better a job communicating what is actually going on with their customer or potential customer's application and if this is now the SOP to not tell the customer that they are going to get a call in 2-3 days then 3-5 then 3-5 more days. Set the right expectation the first time and make everyone's life easier. Because had they told me the deal I would have said fine, but after being in limbo for so long spending the time with multiple calls and trolling forums wasted a lot of time and added a bit a frustration. I also plan on telling them make the investment and move at least part of the call center back to US, the company is called American Express afterall damnit! Nothing pisses a customer off more than to call up looking for answers and just hear the same unhelpful scripted answers that basically are subtle ways of saying I can't help you and unless you start making a stink I'm not going to get you someone that can. I loath inefficiencies in processies as much as incompetence. 

If all else faild, my hypothesis is wrong and Friday I don't have a decision I plan on going thru the account secure chat portal as I'm already a card holder and demand an extension number of one of these mythical executive office people that actually have the power to go in and manually make decisions on the fly with the customer on the phone. None of this you'll get a call or let me transfer you BS. As that may be the only way as from what every "backdoor" rep has told me that once an app is in this type of status they can't touch it.  

I'll keep ya'll posted, tomorrow is technically the 15th day so we'll see if it drops tomorrow evening at the change of the business day or if I'm going to have to softly verbally assault someone with my gentle manner on Friday to give me an answer up or down cause at this point I'm seriously thinking of a different bank issuer because relationships that start difficult generally always remain difficult. It just sucks cause I really wanted those cash back %s.  So we'll see.   

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

LOL if they instadenied me I would have called them and said are you guys serious? LOL I guess I'd just argue my risk profile is alternatively much lower than some of their other customers.  But yea you're right, it wasn't an instadeny, but then again I might have an answer by now even with a recon call. 

Message 8 of 9
ericp4440
Established Member

Any update with your app?

Current FICO 8 Scores: 4/2017 (TU 680, EX 725, EQ 661)
Starting FICO 8 Scores: 4/2015 (TU 470, EX 500, EQ 439)
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.