Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX CLI Denied

tag
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX CLI Denied

@credit_endurance wrote:

Unfortunately your very new to Amex in their eyes. I was where you where a couple years ago. Got my first Amex approval and was given what they call a " borderline" toy limit and was totally expecting a 3XCI after the 61 days and was promptly denied for similar reasons mostly being a new account holder with low Fico scores. It really sinks your sails for sure. But just keep using your card wisely and PIF as well as lower some of your UTL and hit them up again in 90 days and you should get the increase. 

But more people here than not, get their 3x CLI after their first 61 days. That's all I am going by.

They are all just as new as I am, but as I mentioned in a previous reply, it's okay now. I was just disappointed, that's all. Not the end of the world.

Especially with my $7k Discover and $10.5k PenFed.

@credit_endurance wrote:

Unfortunately your very new to Amex in their eyes. I was where you where a couple years ago. Got my first Amex approval and was given what they call a " borderline" toy limit and was totally expecting a 3XCI after the 61 days and was promptly denied for similar reasons mostly being a new account holder with low Fico scores. It really sinks your sails for sure. But just keep using your card wisely and PIF as well as lower some of your UTL and hit them up again in 90 days and you should get the increase. 

I have a lot to be thankful for Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 42
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So what are your scores and CL/Balances on the rest of your cards?

EQ 710

TU 729

EX 700

Amex used their most recent updated score, which was at 694.

I have a $4900 balance out of $10.5k on my PenFed (balance transfers) and a $3.3k balance on my $7k Discover (balance transfers).

Everything else is reporting a $0 balance.

Message 12 of 42
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

@Gidgetmom wrote:

Sorry to hear about the CLI denial.  Give it a little more time, reduce your utilization as much as you can in the next 90 days, and pull the trigger again!  Amex comes from "charge" card roots and, I suspect, the high utilization on those other 2 cards is at the heart of the denial.  

Just remember, the hard part is over...you are part of the Amex family now.  Treat your profile right, and Amex will show the ❤️!

@Thank you, @Gidgetmom

Just give it time. I understand this.

I expected too much and set myself up for disappointment, but I am over it now. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 42
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

@Total80sKid wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So what are your scores and CL/Balances on the rest of your cards?

EQ 710

TU 729

EX 700

Amex used their most recent updated score, which was at 694.

I have a $4900 balance out of $10.5k on my PenFed (balance transfers) and a $3.3k balance on my $7k Discover (balance transfers).

Everything else is reporting a $0 balance.

Got point brought up about  Amex using your most recent sp scorers base their decision. I hit the button when my last sp was in the mid 600 range and just had a few baddies removed from my report jumping me into the 700' s and was denied because they used the prior sp in 600's instead of the current data at that time.

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 14 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Total80sKid wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

2 months time in credit-land is nothing. And you sound desperate.  I don't believe these are qualities that amex seeks. 

And forget recon with amex. It's my understanding from a close friend of mine that they don't do it.  You get what you get, and don't throw a fit.  Goodness. 2 months pass and you think they shorted you your  3x cli.

lol.

No need for dramatics.

I am going by the hundreds of pages on this site about 'desperate' people such as myself, getting a 3x CLI after their first 61 days.

There is nothing 'desperate' in my attempt to go after what 95% of this board goes after, with a shorter history than mine, much lower scores, etc.

I am just going to assume you read my post wrong as I have not seen you reply to any of my other threads.

Desperate, I am not. disappointed because I was working towards something and failed to achieve it, yes.

Nobody is throwing a fit and I don't feel like I was shorted.

Who are you to ask for a 61 day increase, just because that is the advice given to almost everyone else?

If I were you, I would immediately ask a mod to change your name to Desperate80sKid!!   Smiley Happy

all kidding aside, sorry you didn't get it. all you can do now is wait it out and try later. hopefully the Desperation Button will work next time

Message 15 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would try again after your 6 months, you were barely approved for the card so you go through a probation period.  I too got a 1000 credit limit and denied after i requested a cli after 61 days but was approved after 6 months

Message 16 of 42
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Sorry for the bad news. Right now you should try paying down Discover so when you do apply for a Disco CLI, you'll get the highest limit they can give you.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 17 of 42
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@Total80sKid wrote:

@shoegal wrote:

Oh man, that sucks! I hope they approve your recon. Was your card on Amex version of credit steps?

Nope.

That's why I was somewhat positive I would get my 3x CLI.

I see others here get a $500 SL with credit steps and that left me with the impression that those were the types of accounts that were borderline approved.

I was mistaken.

No biggie.

I was really bummed about it earlier, but I have come a long way in just the last two months.

Went from scores in the 620's with a CO card at $850 as my highest limit, to now well over $50,000 in credit and scores all above 700 Smiley Happy

I didn't think so but thought I should ask about the credit steps thing.

Anyhow, I did read on the Amex thread that a lot of people that get the 1k starting limit (like myself) not getting their 61 days CLI and usually getting at 91 days. Mine is supposed to be on Aug 29 for the ED but I'm thinking of waiting and asking for my BCE instead on Sep 30 which are the 61 days for the BCE.

Also, my ED was approved with the credit steps thing but with $1k instead of $500. That's why I might not ask for CLI next week and let it get the supposed automatic CLI on the 5-6 statement.

Anyway, you have come a loooong way and have amazing cards and limits so you'll be good for the next one. Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 42
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Total80sKid wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

2 months time in credit-land is nothing. And you sound desperate.  I don't believe these are qualities that amex seeks. 

And forget recon with amex. It's my understanding from a close friend of mine that they don't do it.  You get what you get, and don't throw a fit.  Goodness. 2 months pass and you think they shorted you your  3x cli.

lol.

No need for dramatics.

I am going by the hundreds of pages on this site about 'desperate' people such as myself, getting a 3x CLI after their first 61 days.

There is nothing 'desperate' in my attempt to go after what 95% of this board goes after, with a shorter history than mine, much lower scores, etc.

I am just going to assume you read my post wrong as I have not seen you reply to any of my other threads.

Desperate, I am not. disappointed because I was working towards something and failed to achieve it, yes.

Nobody is throwing a fit and I don't feel like I was shorted.

Who are you to ask for a 61 day increase, just because that is the advice given to almost everyone else?

If I were you, I would immediately ask a mod to change your name to Desperate80sKid!!   Smiley Happy

all kidding aside, sorry you didn't get it. all you can do now is wait it out and try later. hopefully the Desperation Button will work next time

Smiley Very Happy

Thank you again, guys!

This is by far the most helpful board I have ever come across.

And if my first post did come off as desperate and/or entitled, I apologize.

I had just gotten off the phone with Amex and was just really disappointed, but I am in no hurry.

They said I could try again in 90 days, so I will just keep using it and hope for the 90 day increase, if not, 180 day increase, etc.

Thank you again everyone for your help. Beyond appreciated! Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The OP doesn't sound desperate to me. The OP waited 61 days like 99.9% of everyone else on these forums and requested a CLI.

Message 20 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.