Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Quest to 150K CLI single card

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: AMEX Quest to 150K CLI single card

@Anonymous wrote:
@this is how it ended up? You have been dealing with this for weeks! I can't believe they did this. Why ask for the income verification if tonjust give you $700? Did they not take into consideration your use of the card besdies the last month while this was going on? And who they @?!$ wants $700 when you have a $50k limit anyway? That's an insult almost-and btw my OCD could not handle that either. Sorry this is how it ended up. At least it wasn't Disco. That's the boat I'm in-it's more upsetting when it is your favorite company/card... but Amex would be my 2nd, and I would have expected more from Amex. This is a Synch or Barclays move.

You have to look at this from Amex's side, when they give someone a credit line increase they have to book that increase on their books.  Why would Amex want to increase it's outstanding loan limits 100k for some that barely uses their product.  I totally understand why Amex did what they did and if OP really wants that limit run some serious coin through them.  <mod edit>

Debate is welcome, but we must keep things FSR.  --UB

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

You have to look at this from Amex's side, when they give someone a credit line increase they have to book that increase on their books.  Why would Amex want to increase it's outstanding loan limits 100k for some that barely uses their product.  I totally understand why Amex did what they did and if OP really wants that limit run some serious coin through them.  <mod edit>

Well, I think this exercise proves where the line can be drawn with Amex.  What you stated above can be said of many others as well, just with smaller numbers.  I recently pushed my CL with Amex from $30k to $35k without IV and that was with running no more than $2k (sometimes less than $1k) through the card every cycle.  If I'm running $1k through a $35k card, that's like running $1.5k through a $50k card which in no way constitutes "serious coin." 

The result of this exercise shows that Amex will bump someone up that's only using 3%-4% of their credit limit each cycle if their limit is below a certain point, but once the limit gets high enough 3%-4% usage isn't going to cut it.  I think the DP of this thread helps us to see that.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

He said he didn't expect it - Just like it is "crazy" for someone with a 600 FICO to ask Sych for 10k a month after Approval, (tons do it and everyone tells people to) you do it in hopes of getting a counter offer, which is what he said he was hoping for.

This place gets more and more like CB on a daily basis. Remember to try and be kind to each other. No need to tell anyone they are crazy.

I for one am thankful we have people like Austin who does try to gather DPs with companies so we know how they work. If we didn't, how do we learn their policies? Look at all the data we have on Discover now thx to him.

Message 13 of 23
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Well, I think this exercise proves where the line can be drawn with Amex.  What you stated above can be said of many others as well, just with smaller numbers.  I recently pushed my CL with Amex from $30k to $35k without IV and that was with running no more than $2k (sometimes less than $1k) through the card every cycle.  If I'm running $1k through a $35k card, that's like running $1.5k through a $50k card which in no way constitutes "serious coin." 

The result of this exercise shows that Amex will bump someone up that's only using 3%-4% of their credit limit each cycle if their limit is below a certain point, but once the limit gets high enough 3%-4% usage isn't going to cut it.  I think the DP of this thread helps us to see that.

Most already knew what the DP outcome would be before it was even done.    

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 14 of 23
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
He said he didn't expect it - Just like it is "crazy" for someone with a 600 FICO to ask Sych for 10k a month after Approval, (tons do it and everyone tells people to) you do it in hopes of getting a counter offer, which is what he said he was hoping for.

This place gets more and more like CB on a daily basis. Remember to try and be kind to each other. No need to tell anyone they are crazy.

I for one am thankful we have people like Austin who does try to gather DPs with companies so we know how they work. If we didn't, how do we learn their policies? Look at all the data we have on Discover now thx to him.

There is nothing wrong with being critical, I was kind and this was crazy no matter how you look at, IMO.  A 835 score means nothing when one is looking to get that kind of CL.

BTW all the Discover data was already on other threads long ago, there is nothing new there.  Search, discover gravy train, discover gravy train has returned to mention a few.

Message 15 of 23
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@austinguy907 wrote:

While it's not the expected outcome when you think of AMEX it's how they choose to give out the CLI's.  I accept I don't use them as much as some do around here that might actually use 50% of that limit but, I would rather not spend that much to warrant the extra limit.  As to the Barc/Sync.... they would have probably chopped it down to $5K or something silly just because that's how they operate.  When I say Disco / Amex are a good pair of cornerstones in building a solid foundation this actually is a good outcome in comparison to what they could have done.  It's all in stride and now I have an idea of what they're looking for if I want a bigger limit.  I just can't substantiate spending that much on the card when it makes more sense to keep cash in checking and maybe paying additional principal on my mortgage instead of finding things to spend on Amex.  Life w/o the nagging debt feels better than a $150K limit anyday!!!  I might just have to call that UW I spoke with last week and figure out where the hell they came up with $700 for an increase.  Then again It's probably not worth the 10 minutes or less on the phone talking with her again.  I'm over it and just counting the days for Disco since the 1st is coming up soon enough.  They didn't balk at the request at all as if some other lenders would grill you for 30 minutes by phone for such a request.  It just wasn't in the cards w/o the spend that makes them money.  Disco has been getting that spend for the 5% since 1/1 for Sam's Smiley Happy  It's funny how that 5% actually adds up for normal spend each month.  

Thanks for providing all the DP for Amex and Discover as well.  They have helped me tremendously!

I am working on my rebuild and I have been running 90% of my charges thru Amex and Discover.  But my spending is peanuts and will continue to be peanuts because of the bolded above!

Thanks again for all you do!

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 16 of 23
Berk
Established Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
@this is how it ended up? You have been dealing with this for weeks! I can't believe they did this. Why ask for the income verification if tonjust give you $700? Did they not take into consideration your use of the card besdies the last month while this was going on? And who they @?!$ wants $700 when you have a $50k limit anyway? That's an insult almost-and btw my OCD could not handle that either. Sorry this is how it ended up. At least it wasn't Disco. That's the boat I'm in-it's more upsetting when it is your favorite company/card... but Amex would be my 2nd, and I would have expected more from Amex. This is a Synch or Barclays move.

You have to look at this from Amex's side, when they give someone a credit line increase they have to book that increase on their books.  Why would Amex want to increase it's outstanding loan limits 100k for some that barely uses their product.  I totally understand why Amex did what they did and if OP really wants that limit run some serious coin through them<mod edit>

Redpat, you're absolutely right on the money the OP needs to move through the card if they want to be considered for a higher limit. Just understand that no lender gives you anything because you deserve it. They lend you money based on the risk/loss assessment that they do on you. Your credit report helps them with their assessment. And, they only lend you money to make money off of the loan - whether it be in interest or fees. In this case, Amex decided that it wasn't willing to take the risk of the OP having access to that much money when they hadn't used much of what was already available to them.

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

There is nothing wrong with being critical, I was kind and this was crazy no matter how you look at, IMO.  A 835 score means nothing when one is looking to get that kind of CL.

I don't think he ever realistically expected to see a $150 CL approval.  I do, however, think that expecting a counter offer above $50,700 would have been perfectly rational.  I think you're getting a bit too hung up on the magnitude of the CLI request when the attempt here was to shoot high and see if something else would be offered.

Message 18 of 23
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

I don't think he ever realistically expected to see a $150 CL approval.  I do, however, think that expecting a counter offer above $50,700 would have been perfectly rationalI think you're getting a bit too hung up on the magnitude of the CLI request when the attempt here was to shoot high and see if something else would be offered.

See that's where we differ, using $1,500 or $2,000 of a 50k credit limit time to time and then asking for a CLI of any kind is irrational to me.  

Message 19 of 23
Berk
Established Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@redpat wrote:

I don't think he ever realistically expected to see a $150 CL approval.  I do, however, think that expecting a counter offer above $50,700 would have been perfectly rationalI think you're getting a bit too hung up on the magnitude of the CLI request when the attempt here was to shoot high and see if something else would be offered.

See that's where we differ, using $1,500 or $2,000 of a 50k credit limit time to time and then asking for a CLI of any kind is irrational to me.  

Sure its irrational. But it is SO MUCH FUN when you get that CLI!!!. About two years ago I asked Discover for a CLI and they gave me one for 11K. One month later I asked again and got another 5K I think. Then I did a BT and they gave me an Auto CLI of 6K - 22K in 5 weeks time! it was already at 23K and before the BT I only put 2 maybe 3 hundred through it a month. Did I need it? No. Did I love seeing my CL increase? Absolutely! So, 6 months later I asked Discover for another and got a paltry 500 bucks. I haven't asked since and won't. Still only put 2 to 3 hundred a month through the card.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.