cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Recon - Why does AMEX hate me so much?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX Recon - Why does AMEX hate me so much?

I seem to be in the same boat that many other folks are. I have been approved for every credit card I have applied for in the last 60 days, including the Ritz-Carlton card, all with credit lines at or over $5K. AMEX won't approve me for any card that I apply for. I have tried for their Gold card, the EveryDay card, and the Blue Cash card and have all been declined.

I did just call today and asked for a recon. The rep told me that it would be 5-7 days, and that I would need to call back in to get the results from the reconsideration.

I have carried AMEX business cards for various employers for decades. I have never burned them, and my FICO scores at all three reporting agencies is over 720. My only negative is that I have 15 or 16 inquires on my EX.

Hmm....  We will see what happens... 

Anyone had any experience with the recon process, and want to give me some sage advice if they decline my recon? I am not sure what options I would have at that point. Normally, I would take my licks and move on, but a personal AMEX Gold card is the last card on my bucket list before opening the gate to the garden, and locking it behind me.

Thanks......  I really appreciate the contibutions of everyone here on the forums. I began my credit repair journey alone, with little guidance, and have been able to finish strong thanks to all of the knowledge that everyone is willing to share with the forums.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX Recon - Why does AMEX hate me so much?

American Express doesn't hate you.

They either perceive you as a risk or as a customer who won't generate profit for them.

Message 2 of 29
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

Same stuff happened to me, getting denied continuously. Recon being worthless. 

I have a basic green card and they woudlnt even let me have a Platinum even though the underwrting requirment is the same.....

Not sure if ill upgrade to the plat when 13 months comes round.... 

On the other hand, Chase loves me. Of course they have good reason to, they have made some $3K in interest on me when I was financially "irresponsible" 

I think I was a cash cow for them.. lol 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My only negative is that I have 15 or 16 inquires on my EX.

ONLY negative?  Hello????  Smiley Very Happy

Good news is you have a decent chance at recon if it's only inquiries and not too many new accounts.  If denied ---> GARDEN.

Message 4 of 29
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

What does your profile look like?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 5 of 29
Callandra
Valued Contributor

What were the reasons for denial on the letter they sent you? You should work on those and then re-apply later. 

The inquiries might have scared Amex off a bit if they were in a really recent timeframe but I thought I saw some people get approved with that many or more..

(Amex doesn't hate you! It's just business Cat Happy)

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

My profile....  Well, my FICO scores are all 720+ with TU being almost 800 (Experian's CreditTracker service three agency report). I have currently about $77K in unsecured credit available to me through credit cards and PLOCs. My utilization hovers around 2.5% up to about 5% depending on the various months reporting. Oldest account is 9.6 years. AAoA is 2.1 years. I do have a small auto loan. No mortgage.

Thanks..... 

Message 7 of 29
scorewatcher7
Valued Member

15-16 inquiries would red flag anyone. Amex is very cautious, and experian is their typical bureau. Also, I don't know what your income situation is, but 77k unsecured is alot of credit, even to someone who makes an above average living. Having that much credit can be perceived as risky. Amex could think with all the inquiries that you're looking to pyramid a little bit, in which case they'll deny you. You have a low utilization, but like I said, with that much available credit, even 5% util is around 4k outstanding per month and Amex might not like that risk... let some of the inquiries disappear, and then reapply. 

Message 8 of 29
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My only negative is that I have 15 or 16 inquires on my EX.

ONLY negative?  Hello????  Smiley Very Happy

Good news is you have a decent chance at recon if it's only inquiries and not too many new accounts.  If denied ---> GARDEN.

I have like 33 on my EX reports lol 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 9 of 29
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@scorewatcher7 wrote:

15-16 inquiries would red flag anyone. Amex is very cautious, and experian is their typical bureau. Also, I don't know what your income situation is, but 77k unsecured is alot of credit, even to someone who makes an above average living. Having that much credit can be perceived as risky. Amex could think with all the inquiries that you're looking to pyramid a little bit, in which case they'll deny you. You have a low utilization, but like I said, with that much available credit, even 5% util is around 4k outstanding per month and Amex might not like that risk... let some of the inquiries disappear, and then reapply. 

I had about 26 inquires on my EX when I applied for my everyday card but it was my 2nd card. I had about 15 on my ex when I got my BCE

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.