Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX Surpass Approval Questions

tag
TC1223
New Contributor

AMEX Surpass Approval Questions

Hi everyone! I finally decided, after much hesitation, to apply for the American Express Hilton Surpass because of the 100k bonus and I got approved! I was really suprised with the limit that they gave me and weeks prior to applying I was really worried that they were going to give me a smaller CL, similar to the limit that I got when I apped for the BCE. But, to my suprise and amazement, they gave me a 20k SL with an 18% APR.

What do you think my chances are of asking them to lower the APR, maybe even asking them to give me 0% for a certain amount of time, are? And also to ask them for an APR reduction on my BCE, which is at a whopping 21%?

I only ask because I was trolling around on some other threads and I saw that some people were able to get AMEX to lower their rates on their BCEs anywhere from 9.99%-13% and after speaking to a friend, who also attempted to ask for an APR reduction, she told me that she has been denied 3x, despite having a long-standing relationship with AMEX and having a CS of 800+, but has been successful with requesting 0% for 6 months. And, that 0% that my friend told me about would be great because I plan on using the card to use for my wedding, which is going to be at a Hilton.

UPDATE: 

I talked to a CSR via chat and was denied for an APR reduction on both the BCE and the Surpass. So, I decided to just reallocate 10k onto the Surpass and wait until this statement closes for the BCE, pay off the small balance that I have, and move the rest of that limit onto the new card and finally close it off. I'll try their backdoor number once I get the new card in the mail and try again to get my APR reduced. 

But, has anyone had an issue reallocating their entire limit on a new card then closing off the old card?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AMEX Surpass Approval Questions

Moving to Apps for better help
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TC1223 wrote:

Hi everyone! I finally decided, after much hesitation, to apply for the American Express Hilton Surpass because of the 100k bonus and I got approved! I was really suprised with the limit that they gave me and weeks prior to applying I was really worried that they were going to give me a smaller CL, similar to the limit that I got when I apped for the BCE. But, to my suprise and amazement, they gave me a 20k SL with an 18% APR.

What do you think my chances are of asking them to lower the APR, maybe even asking them to give me 0% for a certain amount of time, are? And also to ask them for an APR reduction on my BCE, which is at a whopping 21%?

I only ask because I was trolling around on some other threads and I saw that some people were able to get AMEX to lower their rates on their BCEs anywhere from 9.99%-13% and after speaking to a friend, who also attempted to ask for an APR reduction, she told me that she has been denied 3x, despite having a long-standing relationship with AMEX and having a CS of 800+, but has been successful with requesting 0% for 6 months. And, that 0% that my friend told me about would be great because I plan on using the card to use for my wedding, which is going to be at a Hilton.

UPDATE: 

I talked to a CSR via chat and was denied for an APR reduction on both the BCE and the Surpass. So, I decided to just reallocate 10k onto the Surpass and wait until this statement closes for the BCE, pay off the small balance that I have, and move the rest of that limit onto the new card and finally close it off. I'll try their backdoor number once I get the new card in the mail and try again to get my APR reduced. 

But, has anyone had an issue reallocating their entire limit on a new card then closing off the old card?

Congratulations OP!! My limit on my new Surpass is only $2K!!!  But I did get the 100K bonus after I spend $3000.  How am I supposed to spend $3000 on a $2K limit!!  I'll have to spend and make payments.  You are in better shape than I'm in. 

Message 3 of 4
TC1223
New Contributor

Oh, thank you, soloman. I was pretty surprised when I saw the limit. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.