Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX approval followed by "we're review your application now"

tag
ohnomyfigo
Contributor

AMEX approval followed by "we're review your application now"

So a few hours ago I applied for an Amex green online, was instantly approved, created my account and eveything. A few minutes later received the "Your Amex application was approved" email and then four hours later I received another email saying "We are excited that you've decided to apply for the American Express card and we're reviewing your application now. We promise to let you know when wwe're finished, or we need more information."

I thought I was already approved? I can log into my account and view my balance. Is this normal to send a letter like this after i was approved?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: AMEX approval followed by "we're review your application now"

Same thing happened to me. I got my card about 5 days after applying
Message 2 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ohnomyfigo wrote:

So a few hours ago I applied for an Amex green online, was instantly approved, created my account and eveything. A few minutes later received the "Your Amex application was approved" email and then four hours later I received another email saying "We are excited that you've decided to apply for the American Express card and we're reviewing your application now. We promise to let you know when wwe're finished, or we need more information."

I thought I was already approved? I can log into my account and view my balance. Is this normal to send a letter like this after i was approved?

Thanks

This seems to be a frequent (and confusing) experience.  With my recent ED approval I received two emails back-to-back (the same minute, even).  The first was the one thanking me for applying (with the review language), and the second was congratulating me for the approval.

In any case, congrats on the approval!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 9
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Most likely just the time of day and one system having a delay in talking to the other system.  Just ignore it since you've already logged into your new account.

Message 4 of 9
ohnomyfigo
Contributor

I just got out of live chat with them and they confirmed it was in error. 

On another note, I saw many people claiming that all of the amex charge cards had the same approval criteria. I can tell you that this is false. After being approved for the green, I apped for the gold and was instantly denied. It's funny 'cause that was my initial pre-qual suggestion. 

Message 5 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@ohnomyfigo wrote:

On another note, I saw many people claiming that all of the amex charge cards had the same approval criteria. I can tell you that this is false. After being approved for the green, I apped for the gold and was instantly denied. It's funny 'cause that was my initial pre-qual suggestion. 

You might have been denied due to the recent approval for the Green; until you get the denial letter you won't know for sure.

Keep in mind that the levels for the Amex charge cards are really about the benefits... someone with a Green card can have a huge spending limit while somebody with a Platinum card can have one that's relatively small.  There's really no reason for the various charge cards to have different approval criteria (with the exception of the Black/Centurion card, of course).

While we'll never know for sure, I suspect that had you gone for the Gold/PRG first you would have had no problem getting approved.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ohnomyfigo wrote:

Congrats on the approval! You were probably denied because of just getting approved for the Green. If you want another Amex I would go for one of their revolvers instead.

Message 7 of 9
dk2003
Regular Contributor

Happened to me too. I was like whooooooa..... got the card the same week 🤗
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the mailer prequal offer and my card on the same day..

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.