Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX -now or wait to request CLI

tag
QCS123
Established Contributor

AMEX -now or wait to request CLI

I applied on 12/31 and I think my first date is Jan first week for the card so I'm past the 61 days.  I have used the card and made many payments within days or a week of the charges.  My last payment was on 3/9 and I currently have a balance of $194 of $1K CL.  Should I go ahead and try for the CLI now or wait until the card is paid down to $0?  As of 3/15 my overall UT was 15% (working on getting it down).  Getting a CLI would help get that UT down a bit more.

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX -now or wait to request CLI

Request now. No need to pay the card to $0 before requesting.

Message 2 of 14
QCS123
Established Contributor

LOL, I crossed my fingers and held my breath and did it.  This is the response I got:

Request a Line of Credit Increase

Our systems are updating.
Your request for a line of credit increase cannot be processed at this time.
We apologize for the inconvenience, please try again in 24 hours.

Ugh!!!

Message 3 of 14
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

Try again and keep us posted
Message 4 of 14
QCS123
Established Contributor

So I tried again and now I'm confused.  I got the 7-10 day message and then before I could finish reading it, I got an email saying -"To get the details of our decision please contact our Customer Care team"

I need to call in to get the answer to the CLI inquiry...what does that usually mean?  I HATE calling credit card companies!!!!  

Message 5 of 14
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

Anytime I have received the call message on a CLI for Amex I was denied
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My advice would have been to wait, but I guess I'm too late.  Assuming your FICO scores are correct and given you starting credit line, it would appear that you were a marginal approval in the first place.  Approvals with your scores and limits typically are required to wait 181 days before requesting a CLI.  But I guess its all a moot issue now.

Message 7 of 14
QCS123
Established Contributor

That's what I'm figuring too.  I"m stuck in the 1K CL boat, but I was hoping to get it up a bit.  My other major cards are both at bigger numbers (Discover 10.5K and PenFed 10K), so I was hoping.....

We are self employed and our income is down slightly from last year, wonder if that had anything to do with it (down by 10K, but still 105K is still good).

Oh well, I just don't get why a call is necessary, just send me a denial email or letter and be done with it.

Message 8 of 14
QCS123
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

My advice would have been to wait, but I guess I'm too late.  Assuming your FICO scores are correct and given you starting credit line, it would appear that you were a marginal approval in the first place. 

@Anonymouswrote:

My advice would have been to wait, but I guess I'm too late.  Assuming your FICO scores are correct and given you starting credit line, it would appear that you were a marginal approval in the first place.  Approvals with your scores and limits typically are required to wait 181 days before requesting a CLI.  But I guess its all a moot issue now.

.  But I guess its all a moot issue now.

I actually wasn't even going to ask for one, now I wish I had not.  So wait another 181 days or a total of 181 days from opening the account.  Fico's are currently  EQ 707 , TU  689,  EX  678.  We were also probably marginal approval because of a previous BK with them 21 years ago (for about $600 or less).  So I'm guessing they will want to watch how we handle credit for the next few months or even a year before they move....Thats's okay I'm OK in the garden and will just wait and apply in 6 months I guess when our scores are up a bit (hoping) and the UT is even lower like under 8.9% or at 1% or something.  It could also be because my Discover was removed from the CR due to Fraud the new card hasn't been added yet, so it looks odd.  I forgot about that, I really should have wait...oh well.  We are good for now, don't really need it but wanted just this one to be higher like the others.  If I can get all three up to 10K I'm good sitting there for a few years until we get our CR completely clean.

Message 9 of 14
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Not a big deal, just try again at 91 days and if nothing 181 days. You can asked as many times as you want to. It doesn't affect future approvals.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.