Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX third card application help

tag
pat0812
Regular Contributor

AMEX third card application help

I've been using AMEX for the last 2 years.

I initially got the PGR Gold as charge card and 4 months later I applied for the  Blue card and got $5,000 CL

After 61 days I got a CLI to $13,200

I used to pay all balances in full, until last year I had some unexpected needs and I kept a balance of over $8,000 and I was paying every month minimum payments every month.

I recently lowered the balances to $5,000 and my Experian Fico is  at 744, because my UTI went down to 19%

So with this balance I tried to get a CLI from AMEX and was declined.

I have applied today for Chase Slate and  Citibank Simplicity and was approved for $5,750 and $10,800.

I'm planning on transfering all my AMEX balance to those cards, as I get 0% APR for 18 months.

Should I apply for a new AMEX once I transfered all the balances and wait for my AMEX to report $0 balance ?

Regarding my card I was declined CLI, in 90 days will I have a better chance getting a CLI since my balance will be $0 ?

Does Amex remember I kept a balance for a while or they look at what are my standings right now ?

FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX third card application help

It's really going to depend on what kind of card you want to apply for (charge vs. revolver and which exact card too). In terms of getting another CLI, you should have a better chance, assuming everything on the SP they look at is in good standing and you have a steady income that can support your request for credit. As for applying for another card, your score seems to be good enough to merit an approval so once Amex posts your $0, you should have a pretty good shot. You might want to wait a little though just to be safe because you recently applied to two new cards. Just my $0.02. Best of luck dude.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Id wait until balance is paid down/BT away on AMEX before apping new card for sure.
Message 3 of 11
darkknight59
Regular Contributor

@pat0812 wrote:

I've been using AMEX for the last 2 years.

I initially got the PGR Gold as charge card and 4 months later I applied for the  Blue card and got $5,000 CL

After 61 days I got a CLI to $13,200

I used to pay all balances in full, until last year I had some unexpected needs and I kept a balance of over $8,000 and I was paying every month minimum payments every month.

I recently lowered the balances to $5,000 and my Experian Fico is  at 744, because my UTI went down to 19%

So with this balance I tried to get a CLI from AMEX and was declined.

I have applied today for Chase Slate and  Citibank Simplicity and was approved for $5,750 and $10,800.

I'm planning on transfering all my AMEX balance to those cards, as I get 0% APR for 18 months.

Should I apply for a new AMEX once I transfered all the balances and wait for my AMEX to report $0 balance ?

Regarding my card I was declined CLI, in 90 days will I have a better chance getting a CLI since my balance will be $0 ?

Does Amex remember I kept a balance for a while or they look at what are my standings right now ?

I would suggest waiting for that $0 balance.

NASA FCU 25000 NASA FCU LOC 25000 NFCU Flagship 70,000, CITI Prestige 22000, CITI Premier 7400, Chase Freedom 15000, Amex Green Card, Amex Gold, Amex Every Day 15000, Amex Costco 15000,Amex BCE 15,000, NFCU LOC 15000, Tobyhanna Visa 10,000, Chase Slate 9500, Discover IT Miles 11,000, BOA Travel Rewards 25,000, Barkclay Apple 6000, Zales 5,200 ,Amazon Store 5,000, Paypal SC 5000, Capt 1 Venture 7,250, Cap 1 Plat Pret 5400, Conns' 5,000, NFM 3500, Care Credit 3300,, Barclay Rewards 1500 BML 2,900,
Message 4 of 11
pat0812
Regular Contributor

I never really understood why not everybody just does SP and not HP

What is the difference in information the creditor sees?

Do they see less information on a SP ?

Lets say I pay off my balances with AMEX and they reported that to all CB.

When I will ask them for a CLI will the SP be an updated  report with the $0 balance, or it might reflect an old SP with balances still ?

How come AMEX HP only after approved for a card? If I got approved using a SP, why do they need the HP after approval for ?

Could someone explain me once and for all what the difference is between the 2. The only thing I know is that SP doesn't hurt your score, but that's where my knowledge ends.

Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pat0812 wrote:

When I will ask them for a CLI will the SP be an updated  report with the $0 balance, or it might reflect an old SP with balances still ?

How come AMEX HP only after approved for a card? If I got approved using a SP, why do they need the HP after approval for ?

Could someone explain me once and for all what the difference is between the 2. The only thing I know is that SP doesn't hurt your score, but that's where my knowledge ends.

Bingo.

It's just a perk. If they SP and deny you, nobody knows. 

Message 6 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pat0812 wrote:

Bingo.

+1

And, as another perspective on it, when you are "seeking credit" the CCC can announce to the other CCC that this person is "seeking credit" so they are all on the same page about that. It's like a temporary APPING tatoo on your forehead.

Even Diners, who is apparently not going to report cardholder activity, used the HP to announce the credit app.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pat0812 wrote:

Bingo.

+1

And, as another perspective on it, when you are "seeking credit" the CCC can announce to the other CCC that this person is "seeking credit" so they are all on the same page about that. It's like a temporary APPING tatoo on your forehead.

Even Diners, who is apparently not going to report cardholder activity, used the HP to announce the credit app.

Temporarily at least...LOL.

But yeah, It's absolutely for the purpose of hard proof that they used your CR in their decision.

Message 8 of 11
bigbang91
Established Contributor

I applied for Amex delta gold while overall uti is 22% and has 10k balance on Amex ED, cli20.1k, 100 on Amex BCE, still got approved. So i would say you can go ahead and try to apply for new card.Bc even with BT, the debts still show up on other cards, and they may deny u due to high balances. 

Message 9 of 11
pat0812
Regular Contributor

But if I play it smart and transfer balance just before AMEx statement cut off I might have a small window where I can have balance completly gone.
AMEX will report $0 and Chase will only report the new transfered balance later during the month.

Could I take advantage of that?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.