cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMEX wants my tax returns, but I've never filed taxes before, help?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AMEX wants my tax returns, but I've never filed taxes before, help?

Send in the 4506t. Call the EO after its been sent (give it a few days to get there). Let the EO know that your new to the country and have fufilled all three options. They will realize the 4506t is not going to work and get you connected with the risk department. Underwriting generally has nothing to do with the 4506t process. In my profession ive seen a lot of these with resident alians and non resident alians. Once Risk gets involved they will usually ask that you identifiy the bank you bakk with as well as location. They will call the branch and try to verify deposit history. Ive had this happen for several clients. They just have to be present for me to release information to amex.
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

This as others have said is a "special" situation...Being new to the U.S. and all (if that's true) but generally I'm in the 'heck no' crowd.

What bothers folks like me is the more and more and more thing

They requested ONE of three things yet
They said bank accounts, that was given...
They said paystub, that was given...
Now they want #3 outta 3

So is the point to drag, an applicant around the ENTIRE world prior to denial?
Does a person need to be completely NAKED, with ALL their information, at the feet of a master before another lame excuse pokes it's ugly head?

OK,I'll give you a mortgage lender is putting up half a million or more...
It's a much bigger ask, but for a freaking CC approval of a CL to be chosen by the credit extender?

Not even CLOSE, in terms of comparison with regard to such a request....
This is most likely all about, some bean counter stiff neck schmuck not being able to check a box from a secondary source like LexisNexis or ID Analytics and has NOTHING to do with income, whatsoever.

Again I'm OP's case I agree...Sure go ahead send if you want but for me?
There'd be a huge freaking problem, after offering 3 option and after submitting to the 1st, then the 2nd now it's feel like someone is jerking my chain...

I already don't like the idea of some hacks just scanning all my info just ish n giggles in the 1st place and now the gamesmanship with the run, no walk, now touch your nose...
C'mon dude I'm a grown as man, which is it, what's the issue, what are you really saying?
I'm NOT going to be running around in freaking circles singing and dancing for amusement purposes AND give you my tax info, too

This is why CK tax bothers me, as a consumer...Too much data for a vendor just to have all Willy Nilly...For what a CC?
In general, hail no

After all that do I choose my own CL and Apr, at least a custom grace period, right?

It's gotta work both ways folks...Sure I'm requesting something but it's just a CC...
They are offering CCs right?
This isn't requesting money out of the blue from your cousin Sal...they are in the CCs for sale business, correct?

So all this...It's there 'right' stuff is overrated IMO
Again, mortgage = night....A simple CC account = day

I might have more 'room' to stomach the notion "if" the distinction was made specifically for some ultra mega CL...like OK if you desire XX amount of a CL, but a blind all where the lender is already free to choose EVERYTHING, with regard to CL, Apr and terms already unilaterally? Whatever, man👎
Message 12 of 17
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Once again...I have 15 credit cards, and I never have and never will send a 4506T to get any of them. I do not trust what and who would see such information, and I have reason to believe this info is being actively sold to...partners as the cc agreements call them. There is enough info on a tax return for an identity thief to have a field day, and I do not need those kind of headaches. Data farming is a real problem, and there are far too many companies who have had data breaches. I do not even like supplying all that info to the IRS, but I have little choice there...but to a credit card issuer...no way, no how, ever.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 13 of 17
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So first I give them my bank statement, comes back saying its not sufficient. Then I send them my pay stub, still not sufficient. Now they will only take the 4506T form, otherwise I would be denied.

The problem I have now is that since I have never filed any taxes before, what good will my tax return transcript do for them? It will basically show nothing, not even my income. I have called their rep and explained the situation but they absolutely require the 4506T form. Do I just send them the form anyways? Or should I just forget about it since I will be denied regardless?

Both my TU and EQ scores are 711 according to Credit Karma after my Chase and Discover cards reported for their first time. But I don't think the scores are relevant since I applied to Amex together with Chase and Discover.

And that's why I will never get an Amex card. I didn't provide tax forms for my mortgage, just proof of income with paystubs & bank statements. I didn't provide tax forms to get \my car loan, just a couple pay stubs. I would never provide tax forms just for an effing credit card.

OP, with little credit & employmnent history you're much better off with CCs that just use your credit report to determine your credit worthiness.

Message 14 of 17
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've read all over the internet, and people aren't fond of giving up their tax return history to CC companies. Why is this the case? Just curious.

But it seems like the general consensus for me is to just send them the 4506-T form anyways, since I've got no history and nothing to lose.

Will report back their decision after I send it to them.

Also, is there a better number to call them other than the application status check number for me to explain my situation?

Thank you all for the help!

People on here have varied opinions on the 4506-T; many who object do so due to the level of information that can be on the tax return (for example, medical expenses if you itemize as well as your dependents names/social security numbers, etc.)  I'll also add that many people have no problem with it, and of course any creditor can request it as a condition of having (or keeping) an account.  If you have never filed taxes there's no concern with the 4506-T, anyway.

Of course you can keep reaching out to Amex, but it sounds as if they've already told you what they want, and any further push-back at this point might make them think you have something to hide.  I'll be surprised if once they see that you've never filed taxes (and they see you have nothing to hide) if they don't give you another option.

Congratulations on becoming a moderator UncleB...before you boot any of my comments, remember we're buddies...JK!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Small update for anyone that's interested!

I was finally approved for a $2000 limit and I just received my card in the mail 3 months after I applied!

The 4506-T form that I filled out apparantly had an "error" on the address line so they couldn't pull it. They sent me snail mail telling me to resend 4506-T form OR bank statement OR paystub again. I decided to just fax them both my current bank statement and pay stub again and hope for the best.

Timeline of my application journey looks something like this if you guys are interested:

Jan 15th: Applied for Amex BCE card through friend refferal.

Jan 15th: Received email saying that they need more information.

Jan 17th: Received email saying that they received my documents (bank statement).

Jan 2?th: Received snail mail saying document was insufficient.

Feb 8th: Received email saying that they received my documents (paystub).

Feb 1?th: Received snail mail saying document was insufficient, call the CSR indicates that only 4506-T form can save me now.

Feb 21st: Posted here asking for help.

Mar 8th: Received email saying that they received my documents (4506-T).

Mar 2?th: Received snail mail saying there was an error with my 4506-T form.

Mar 29th: Faxed bank statement and paystub separately to Amex.

Mar 31st: Received email saying they received my documents.

April 3rd: Received email saying they received my documents again.

April 3rd (12 mins later): Received email saying that I was approved! Attempted to setup online account with my Ref ID but apparantly mt Ref ID expired LOL

April 4th: Received genereic snail mail dated on April 1st saying my provided document was insufficient (not sure if paystub or bank statement since I sent them at the same time).

April 6th: Received email saying that my card has shipped.

April 8th: Card arrived in my mail box.

April 9th: Activated card online, finally sees that I received a CL of 2000.

Was a heck of a rollercoaster ride, thank you all for the help and advice! (Still waiting my my 500 dollar Alliant loan to report...)

Message 16 of 17
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Hey nice to know it all worked out for you in the end , see you just have to roll with the punches sometimes and most cases it will work out if you have nothing to hide . Congrats to you
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.