Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add new card (s)? Which to get

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Add new card (s)? Which to get

So I've been thinking that I want to get a few more cards that are on the higher scale towards the end of this month. I've hopefully got some delinquencies getting removed mid till end of month so this won't be until next month at any point. I was thinking amongst nfcu gorewards (or secured), amex bce, discover it (possibly go secured), and penfed. By the end of the month, I'll have only 1 card reporting at 500/ $1300 and that's my cap1 platinum with a 6 year history and 10 lates. This amongst one bofa auto loan with most recent 30 day late of Nov 2016 and cap1 June 2016 would be all that's hopefully showing any derogs. My util should be at about 10% or so and I'm hoping all goes well. I also plan on closing the credit one which was my newest account of 6 months.

Myfico shows my scores are currently 604 EQ, 648 TU, and 639 EX without a few upcoming statements posting. I'm just scared that either of the companies will deny based on inquiries (over 20 on each bureau). My most recent car loan inquiry was denied off the "too many inquiries, too many new accounts, ratio of balance to limits too high, and serious delinquency." Most of which have been corrected via low util and disputing. I do have a trip to Vegas planned in May so I was hoping to utilize some type of new card incentives and maybe even put a car down payment on one of them when I return, granted if approved for a decent amount which I doubt.

Other cards I currently have are:
Capital 1 platinum $500/$1300 6 years
Capital 1 qs one $0/1100 8 months
Bofa bankamericard $100/600 4 years
Barclaycard arrival 0/ $1000 7 months
Credit one 0/450 6 months

Ultimately, I just want to have better cards and hoping to get in with lenders that allow some type of growth while the current ones are staying dormant.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Add new card (s)? Which to get

@Anonymous wrote:
So I've been thinking that I want to get a few more cards that are on the higher scale towards the end of this month. I've hopefully got some delinquencies getting removed mid till end of month so this won't be until next month at any point. I was thinking amongst nfcu gorewards (or secured), amex bce, discover it (possibly go secured), and penfed. By the end of the month, I'll have only 1 card reporting at 500/ $1300 and that's my cap1 platinum with a 6 year history and 10 lates. This amongst one bofa auto loan with most recent 30 day late of Nov 2016 and cap1 June 2016 would be all that's hopefully showing any derogs. My util should be at about 10% or so and I'm hoping all goes well. I also plan on closing the credit one which was my newest account of 6 months.

Myfico shows my scores are currently 604 EQ, 648 TU, and 639 EX without a few upcoming statements posting. I'm just scared that either of the companies will deny based on inquiries (over 20 on each bureau). My most recent car loan inquiry was denied off the "too many inquiries, too many new accounts, ratio of balance to limits too high, and serious delinquency." Most of which have been corrected via low util and disputing. I do have a trip to Vegas planned in May so I was hoping to utilize some type of new card incentives and maybe even put a car down payment on one of them when I return, granted if approved for a decent amount which I doubt.

Other cards I currently have are:
Capital 1 platinum $500/$1300 6 years
Capital 1 qs one $0/1100 8 months
Bofa bankamericard $100/600 4 years
Barclaycard arrival 0/ $1000 7 months
Credit one 0/450 6 months

Ultimately, I just want to have better cards and hoping to get in with lenders that allow some type of growth while the current ones are staying dormant.

Adding a card right now would cause your already restricted scores to drop more than you might intend. Your AAOA would drop under 2 years for a bit and under 2 years isn't too good. Can you wait another 6 months? You have 3 new lines of credit, I think your SL and chance at approval for prime cards would go up if you give it another 6 months.

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since those late payments are still pretty fresh - I would recommend waiting until they are at least a year old before applying for any "high end" cards. Ideally you should wait until they are two years old as they would have less of an impact on your scores but I totally understand not wanting to wait that long. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I do currently have 3 student loans dating back from 2009 and 2010 so it kinda skews up my AAOA. From creditchecktotal, my EQ, and EX show average age at 4.6 years and TU at 3.8 years. TU still hasn't updated with my car loan being paid off yet which was only open for 4 months.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't mind waiting but I think I'm going to pay down any balances this month to 9% and then apply for nfcu. Hopefully all goes well and the derogs I'm expecting to fall off actually do. I'm anxious to know and see how much my overall report is going to look with 4 less reported derogs.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.