cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alabama credit union...anybody have a card with them?

tag
ulyssesmama
Contributor

Alabama credit union...anybody have a card with them?

I applied for a savings account and was surprised it generated a hard pull. I asked the loan officer if I should apply for a card (my tu score was 612 at the time), she told me no bacuse they want to see a minimum of 640. I didn't even mention my chapter 13 ( which I filled in 2011 but didn't Dc until march 2016) because I didn't see the point. But I recently disputed some items and my score jumped to 663! I wonder if I should try now. Btw, I went ahead and started a credit builder loan with them since I already had the hp. I'm itching to try their univerity of Alabama credit card. I'm thinking it won't hurt my score since it was only about two weeks ago since the hp. Doesn't tu give you 30 days to rate shop? I would love some feedback. My last app was in November 2016. I was trying to garden until march.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mrldp40
Established Contributor

Re: Alabama credit union...anybody have a card with them?

Hello, credit union in AL seem to be stricter than in other states.i have checking accounts with huge credit union such as alliant unify dcu but affcu said I didn't qualify for traditional checking from them .Wells Fargo just gave me 250.00 to open checking accounts with them

Also,most credit unions use older scores like ex FICO 2 EQ 5 or tu 4 .Your 08 score may bid higher than them. Good luck and war **bleep** eagle lol
ready to start a rebuild ex 533 eq 518 tu 541
inquiries EQ 2 EX 0 TU 1 multiple charge off current card green dot secured 500
Message 2 of 5
ulyssesmama
Contributor

Thanks for responding! Well, I called the cc department and they told me that I would probably not qualify for a card and that I would probably be offered a secured card.  But the catch is that they require 200% deposit of the credit limit starting at $500! So I would have to deposit $1000! I have never heard of such a thing! I thanked her and hung up. I'm glad I didn't waste a hp on that app!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ulyssesmama

1) You ask whether TU 'gives' 30 days to 'shop' just so you get a clear answer and don't go around confused, wasting HPs and points.
The answer is absolutely NOT...

What's getting confused is the exception 'supposedly' made as one is shopping for mortgages and auto loans specifically and nothing else, period.

However, it really only seems that
1) It only works with mortgages (for 2 weeks)

2) Many, many ppl get played when going to auto dealers where at times a dozen HPs actually do get negatively pulled so be careful with the car dealerships ( personally I don't allow dealers to pull, period...Too risky)

But other than that lenders can,do and will HP you crazy if you aren't careful, especially CUs

Btw many CUs pull credit for membership, either in lue of pulling Chexsystems/EWS or in addition to
Some allow that pull to be used for a credit app others don't (many times because the type of HP is different)

3) It seems to me...this CU isn't that user friendly
I'd not waste too much time with them, there are far too many financial institutions in the country whose money and CCs work just the same 😋
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually do have a secured card with ACU, 5 months in now. I went into a branch and (basically) paid $200 for a $100 limit. Like I said this was 5 months ago... so if they are telling you their min is $500, that's either new policy, the rep was mistaken, or they were trying to get more money from you. Just sharing my experience.

I would like to also add I haven't been thrilled with their services. Their website and app are pretty weak sauce. But, times are tough, am I right. 

(also, Roll Tide) 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.