Did you mean: 

Alliant CLI request leads to CLD [Update --> Original CL restored]

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Alliant CLI request leads to CLD [Update --> Original CL restored]

I requested a CLI from Alliant CU.

It's always a hard pull with them.

They pulled TU, using FICO 9, which was at 812.

They indicated I'd been approved.

When the dust settled, instead of a credit limit increase, I'd received a credit limit decrease, from 25k to 15k.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Alliant CLI request leads to CLD instead

They didn't just forget a zero?

Have you received the reasons yet? Too much available credit? Too many inquiries?

Sorry to hear they gave you a decrease.

Message 2 of 48
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Appleman wrote:

They didn't just forget a zero?

Have you received the reasons yet? Too much available credit? Too many inquiries?

Sorry to hear they gave you a decrease.

Yeah that would be nice, if they really meant $150,000 rather than $15,000.

No haven't received reasons yet; it's undoubtedly stuff like that.

But that isn't the point. They should either grant my CLI request or deny it, but not use it as a basis for a CLD.

This really leaves a sour taste in my mouth about doing business with them.

Message 3 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

When the dust settled, instead of a credit limit increase, I'd received a credit limit decrease, from 25k to 15k.

Ouch that kind of stings. Sometimes despite income, if a lender feels you have too much available credit, they will not grant more and could end up taking some away. That nearly happened to me in 2009 when I opened my second BofA card. Ultimately they ended up taking credit from one card to open the second but I nearly lost my full credit line on the first card. 

I am sorry this happened to you but thankful that you have shared this experience so that others are aware of how Alliant may opperate. 

Message 4 of 48
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Ouch that kind of stings. Sometimes despite income, if a lender feels you have too much available credit, they will not grant more and could end up taking some away. That nearly happened to me in 2009 when I opened my second BofA card. Ultimately they ended up taking credit from one card to open the second but I nearly lost my full credit line on the first card. 

I am sorry this happened to you but thankful that you have shared this experience so that others are aware of how Alliant may opperate. 

I guess it's a cautionary tale:

Don't ever ask Alliant Credit Union for a credit limit increase because

(a) they will take a hard pull

(b) it doesn't matter to them how high your credit score is or how perfect your credit history is

(c) they treat a credit limit increase as if it's a credit limit increase-or-decrease request

Message 5 of 48
Gmood1
Super Contributor

This is the very reason I don't recommend their credit services outside of a SSL. The checking account and savings account are nice to have. Other than that, nothing glaringly great about the the other products.

Sorry for your CLD . Though it doesn't surprise me with them. Being one of the three larger CU affiliations I have. They're without a doubt the most conservative.
Message 6 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Chase card that has been stuck at 9500 for nearly ten years.  All I really wanted was a small increase, so that I'd have all my revolving lines at > 10k.  But I have always been gunshy of asking for a CLI, precisely for worry that they'd give me a CLD.

It was a card on which I spent very little money on.  To formally request a CLI is to ak them to pull my report and also review my spending -- and my spending pattern, if I was being at all rational, I had to admit argued for a CLD rather than a CLI.

Message 7 of 48
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I guess it's a cautionary tale:

Don't ever ask Alliant Credit Union for a credit limit increase because

(a) they will take a hard pull

(b) it doesn't matter to them how high your credit score is or how perfect your credit history is

(c) they treat a credit limit increase as if it's a credit limit increase-or-decrease request

I asked them last year for  a CLI I dont know how many times, and of course declined for the obvious, lol.  My limit is only $500, so its not like they could CLD it much more.  At the end of the year, I either gt a CLI to a min of $5k, or I close it and the membership.

I havent even used my card for 2 months now. The last lady I spoke with in their lending said they couldnt even increase the limit if they wanted too right now because im in their new acct promotion itll October, so the acct stays as is till then. I thought that was the most dumbest thing Id ever heard. 

Sorry for the CLD you got Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 48
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sorry for the Cld SJ, nice to know they double dip on Cli requests, You may ask for a cli but they may end up giving you cld , omg, Smiley Sad
Message 9 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear this SJ

Even more ticked at the size of such a CLD, that's a very decent chunk to slice away.... really, really don't like that at all
My mouth is sour, just thinking about it 😒

At least say NO...then cut it at the next AR and make it not so obvious I'm getting bent over but to come right out and pimp slap my CL like that is disrespectful
Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.