tag
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Alliant CLI request leads to CLD instead

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Appleman wrote:

They didn't just forget a zero?

Have you received the reasons yet? Too much available credit? Too many inquiries?

Sorry to hear they gave you a decrease.

Yeah that would be nice, if they really meant $150,000 rather than $15,000.

No haven't received reasons yet; it's undoubtedly stuff like that.

But that isn't the point. They should either grant my CLI request or deny it, but not use it as a basis for a CLD.

This really leaves a sour taste in my mouth about doing business with them.

That is really weired. So sorry this happened. This makes one scared to even request a CLI if there's a possibility that it would result in a CLD. I'm with you 100%--just decline the increase. I really don't understand Alliant's reason. If I were you, I would call them and see what's up. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 11 of 48
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Thanks for sharing the sour grapes on that SJ.

It's useful info for others not to poke the bear as they say.

I read in certain posts from others here & there that CU's are more for being conservative when compared to mainstream big banks.

Also it might depend on a different FICO they use? I remember NASA used to be like that but instead of lowering they would outright close accounts. I eventually closed my own NASA accounts and moved on because of such unpredictability.

Message 12 of 48
peghede
Valued Contributor

lol alliant cc are a joke i know them realy good., soon most off ppl will agree with me.they don't have the backbone for cc period. not going details now, checking ,savings are great but not cc.

Message 13 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ouch, Sorry SJ.  Time to look for a new better card. 

Message 14 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

SJ, very important question here that I don't believe anyone has posed yet:  What was your monthly spend on this card?

If you were using it quite a bit, I do agree that imposing a CLD was a grimy move.  If you weren't using it much at all though, your CLI request may have been a classic case of poking the sleeping bear and they felt that you weren't using enough of your current existing credit limit. 

Message 15 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

SJ, very important question here that I don't believe anyone has posed yet:  What was your monthly spend on this card?

If you were using it quite a bit, I do agree that imposing a CLD was a grimy move.  If you weren't using it much at all though, your CLI request may have been a classic case of poking the sleeping bear and they felt that you weren't using enough of your current existing credit limit. 

More likely they saw 415k in credit lines and they thought overall credit lines were too high. 

Message 16 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

More likely they saw 415k in credit lines and they thought overall credit lines were too high. 

Could be, but a healthy spend would negate that in terms of lender profitability.  If SJ is putting several thousand dollars through the card per cycle, some months maybe even $5k-$10k (I have no clue what his income/total CC spend is capable of) it would make very little sense for the creditor to drop his limit to a number that in theory he could possibly hit in 1-3 cycles.  If his spend is relatively low, yes I would agree more with your statement above regarding his total limits.

Message 17 of 48
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I use it for balance transfers rather than spend. It's a no-rewards card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 18 of 48
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It might be an important question but it's not germane to the point I"m trying to make.

The issue is not whether or not Alliant should have given me a CLI; it would not have been newsworthy for me to report that I got turned down for a CLI. It happens to me and to others all the time.

To me what's newsworthy is that Alliant CU used my credit limit increase as a basis for decreasing my credit limit.  I have not only never experienced that before, I have never even heard of that happening to anyone else before. I certainly would never apply for a credit limit increase with a lender who uses that as an opportunity to take a hard pull and then cut my credit line by 40%.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 19 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It might be an important question but it's not germane to the point I"m trying to make.

The issue is not whether or not Alliant should have given me a CLI; it would not have been newsworthy for me to report that I got turned down for a CLI. It happens to me and to others all the time.

To me what's newsworthy is that Alliant CU used my credit limit increase as a basis for decreasing my credit limit.  I have not only never experienced that before, I have never even heard of that happening to anyone else before. I certainly would never apply for a credit limit increase with a lender who uses that as an opportunity to take a hard pull and then cut my credit line by 40%.

Agree with SJ here. Sorry this happened, SJ. I would have been shocked too.  I remember well that you had an initial high SL with Alliant and your progession on this card has been solid.

Since credit unions are generally more conservative, and consumer debt is at an all time high, combined with us seeing banks take actions we had not seen as much in the past (i.e., Capital One), this overall may be something to watch.

I myself am not thrilled at how conservative most credit unions are (except for Navy Federal, who is quite generous), and it may be something to keep an eye on. Conservative credit unions might well take a look at a member with large overall credit exposure plus a number of new accounts/ inquiries and become concerned, taking actions such as the one SJ is reporting.

myfico members have reported that Alliant has made comments indicating they are conservative or that Alliant has concerns about many new accounts and inquiries, and large amounts of overall available credit.

No loyal customer, however, should reasonably expect that a request for a CLI will result in a very large CLD when their profile and history is solid, especially with a credit union. SJ has an 812 FICO, a solid history for years with this credit union as well as a solid overall credit history, and low overall utilization.

Credit unions claim that we are "members" , "part of the organization", and that they treat members better than banks do.  Many myfico members have felt that credit unions (except for NASA) were much less likely to CLD than were banks.

Now, it opens the playing field to all sorts of uncertainties. Just something to watch and see. 

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.