Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Green to Gold

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmEx Green to Gold

Just a couple of days ago, I prequalified for AmEx's green and gold card and went for the green card thinking that it would increase my chances of approval. However, I would have preferred to have the gold card and I have been reading on this site that the underwriting is the same. So, does that mean that I would have been approved for the gold one since I was approved for the green one? If so, is there a likelihood that I can get AmEx to allow me to change it to the gold card or is it too late? Any recommendations? Should I just leave well enough alone and just wait for the 13 month and PC and look out for any offers to upgrade in the meantime? Or, is it still early enough to change the green card to the gold card? For clarity, I haven't even gotten the card in the mail yet, so I'm at that point in the process. As well, how should I use it as far as spend is concerned if I have to keep it as a green card? Should I work to put more charges on it (I'm clear on paying in full every month) to increase the internal spending limit or is that really relevant as it pertains to getting a gold or platinum card in the future?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx Green to Gold

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a couple of days ago, I prequalified for AmEx's green and gold card and went for the green card thinking that it would increase my chances of approval. However, I would have preferred to have the gold card and I have been reading on this site that the underwriting is the same. So, does that mean that I would have been approved for the gold one since I was approved for the green one? If so, is there a likelihood that I can get AmEx to allow me to change it to the gold card or is it too late? Any recommendations? Should I just leave well enough alone and just wait for the 13 month and PC and look out for any offers to upgrade in the meantime? Or, is it still early enough to change the green card to the gold card? For clarity, I haven't even gotten the card in the mail yet, so I'm at that point in the process. As well, how should I use it as far as spend is concerned if I have to keep it as a green card? Should I work to put more charges on it (I'm clear on paying in full every month) to increase the internal spending limit or is that really relevant as it pertains to getting a gold or platinum card in the future?

Yes, the underwriting criteria for all the Amex charge cards, whether, Green, Gold or Platinum is the same.  When you say the Gold card, I assume that you mean the Premier Rewards Gold.  It’s probably too late to get Amex to change the card and they probably would require you to apply for the PRG.  Whatever you spend on the Green card if you keep it really isn’t going to affect your ability to get other charge cards down the road.  As long as your credit is sufficient, those cards aren’t too difficult to get.  Just use it as you normally would.  If you still want the PRG in a month, apply for it.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Irish80, and it was the PRG version that I was shown with a 25,000 point bonus. Not knowing as much as I did about the likelihood of getting it, I went for the green one. It was only after I got to reading post after post about AmEx that I started to think that I probably went for the wrong one.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous @Anonymous, and it was the PRG version that I was shown with a 25,000 point bonus. Not knowing as much as I did about the likelihood of getting it, I went for the green one. It was only after I got to reading post after post about AmEx that I started to think that I probably went for the wrong one.

You’re very welcome.  If you do end up applying for the PRG. do not go for the one with the 25K bonus.  There are offers available for 50K points and we can show you how to get it.  Amex bonuses are once in a lifetime per card so you need to maximize it the first time.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP - Did you get the AMEX Green with the 25,000 MR points after spending $1000 in three months?

Look up incognito mode...currently, there is an offer to get the PRG with 50,000 after spending $2000 in three months.  As Irish was saying, you only get the bonus of the same product once.

If you applied for the Green on the 27th and can spend $3k in three months, you could apply for the PRG today.

Edit: PRGs annual fee of $195 is waived the first year. Even if you decide to keep it, it's worth it if you spend enough on gas, groceries and restaurants. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, well based on that, I think I'll just stick with the green card and use it wisely until my scores and report gets better. Probably was the better decision for me to get the green card instead of the gold one that I was offered then if there's a lifetime cap on bonus offers. I wasn't aware of that either. Guess there really is a purpose for everything! When I do decide to upgrade I'll reach out on the forum to get the most points now that I'm aware of that info.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @c00mtg, the prequalified offer that I was shown for the PRG was 25,000 for spending so much in 3 months. The green card had a bonus also, but I don't remember exactly what it was. I haven't gotten that deep into the credit card game to have used any points system before, so I didn't pay too much attention to it. However, when the card comes in the mail, I'm sure it will have it in the welcome packet, so I'll post details then.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you open a good window, there is a menu at the end/right of the address bar.  You click on that and choose "New Incognito Window", the new window will look black. Next, tipe "AMEX PRG", when the links load up, you should be able to click on any and should bring you the 50,000 offer.

Many times people apply and get approved for two cards with one hard pull on credit report, and since the PRG's annual fee is waived the first year, you could get 50,000 points for the PRG and the ones for the Green. You could then transfer your MR points to other partnerts (hotels, airlines etc) and close the card you dont want before the annual fee hits...Just a thought.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha @c00mtg, that makes sense!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.