Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AmEx Platinum income questions

tag
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

AmEx Platinum income questions

Hi all,

I'm going to be applying for the AmEx Platinum in the next few months after I hit my spend bonus on my MERRILL+...

I have a question for folks that either are a card-carrying Platinum member or who have apped and been declined. Would you mind sharing what your income was when you app'ed and if you were approved or declined? This could be helpful for a lot of folks considering this card down the road, too.

Thanks!

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AmEx Platinum income questions

Solid 6 figures, good amount of assets (they ask for cash and Cash equivalents as I recall). I love mine, best of luck. I hear recently they are quite a bit easier to get.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Solid 4 figures, got the 70-100 day message.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cmm89 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm going to be applying for the AmEx Platinum in the next few months after I hit my spend bonus on my MERRILL+...

I have a question for folks that either are a card-carrying Platinum member or who have apped and been declined. Would you mind sharing what your income was when you app'ed and if you were approved or declined? This could be helpful for a lot of folks considering this card down the road, too.

Thanks!

My income was around $50k at the time and I received an invitation code in the mail from them since I already had an ED card with them.  My scores were around 685 at the time. 

Message 4 of 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

As others have mentioned as long as you have a solid five figure income around $50k+ and sufficent scores you should be good to get the platinum card as long as you're aware the annual fee is charged right away for the card.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was moving from employee to owner at application. Other than $20k of investment income that was moving to a different asset class, I had no listed income. Unfortunately, I can't say whether $20k would be below their ordinary floor or not; I had cash or taxable investments to cover several years of spending at the time.

Message 6 of 16
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

Awesome. So 60-65K (should get an end-of-year raise) and scores around 700 should do it?

Like I said -- gotta wait until I hit the spend on my Merrill+ first... no way I'll be able to hit 8K in 3 months (3K M+, 5K Plat) for the welcome bonuses.

Thanks!

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 7 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Even though i wouldnt be able to use the benefits or benefit from this card, it would be interesting to see if i could get approved for this card on my income. If i could get it then anyone should be able to get it lol. Alas its a game i dont want to playSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

This may be an interesting DP: I was approved for Plat about 2 weeks ago with a 26k income. Spending power isn't that high (like 5k) but I will use the perks to their full extent, so I'm pleased. Going to pay my rent to meet the signup bonus requirement over the next 3 months. 

Message 9 of 16
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This may be an interesting DP: I was approved for Plat about 2 weeks ago with a 26k income. Spending power isn't that high (like 5k) but I will use the perks to their full extent, so I'm pleased. Going to pay my rent to meet the signup bonus requirement over the next 3 months. 

What were your scores when you were approved?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.